GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticketed for "riding on the outside of a vehicle" (pics included)

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Boy did I have an interesting Saturday...and it all started when I decided to go with some friends to an AWD meet and cruise in Tampa. I ended up riding there in my friend's Evo and planned on getting some rolling shots as we met up with other cars as we drove across the state on I-4.

The day took its first shitty turn when I decided to take the first picture. I set up my camera and went to take a shot to test the shutter speed. As I stuck my head out the window to take the picture I felt my hat shudder in the wind a bit so I decided to take it off so I didn't lose it- it was at that moment that I realized my Oakley's had blown off and were lost to the tarmac gods...

Much to my surprise, what do I see when I review my pictures sunday (look closely):

Yep, those are my sunglasses a few inches off the road...that's a one in a million shot right there.

Well that was just the start of it. We met up with some guys from Jacksonville and cruised with them to Orlando:

After we met up with the group in Orlando we made our way through downtown traffic. The lower speeds made this a perfect time for some more rolling shots:

I then decided I wanted to get some shots from a lower angle so I opened the rear door and leaned out to get these shots:

Well apparently Orlando's finest didn't like the idea of me riding with the door open and they wanted to have a little chat:

And by "chat" I mean the officer was very rude and almost immediately said "wait here, you're getting tickets"...

I was issued a $136 ticket for "riding on the outside of a vehicle" and my friend was issued a $86 ticket for allowing me to do so. We were thinking "alright they're non-moving violations and they're not that expensive we'll just pay it and forget about it"...not quite. We looked up the violations later that day and found out (contrary to what the officer told us) that my friend's ticket was in fact a moving violation worth 3 points. The kicker was the section of the law that defined what is considered the "outside of a vehicle":

"It is unlawful for any operator of a passenger vehicle to permit any person to ride on the bumper, radiator, fender, hood, top, trunk, or running board of such vehicle when operated upon any street or highway which is maintained by the state, county, or municipality."

Now I was buckled in the rear seat, so I do not see how I could have possible been riding on what the state considers the "outside of a vehicle." We are going to have to talk to someone about this.

Well, let's just move on to the rest of the meet. We met up with the rest of the crew in Tampa and went to a cruise around the bay:

After we ate a fine meal at Quaker State it started to get dark so we headed to a pier to take some pictures in the sunset:

The 3rd strike on the day came when we got separated from the group. I switched cars and was riding with my friend in his MR2. We were lost as all hell and we ended up following a few STI's down I-75 thinking that we were going in the right direction. After about 20 minutes we got a call from my friend with the Evo and found out that we were actually 30 minutes past where we were supposed to be. As we're making the U-turn to head back to the pier we here a *snap* and the battery light comes on- the MR2 threw its alternator belt. That left us scrambling around east-bumfuck looking for a store that was still open and had the proper belt. We eventually found one and had to install it with limited tools and a jack we borrowed from the store owner:

Tl;dr- my day sucked

Car(s)
Acura RSX-S
That sucks man. The photos are awesome btw

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
WOW, who wouldve thought that such a nice, cool day would have turned into a even more fun filled day hehehehe. sweet pics btw..

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
that cop was just a plain old car! how the hell do you get away with speeding?

cops in NY and VT have decals that light up from 5000 feet away. they're more visible than the sun.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Thanks for the comments.

WOW, who wouldve thought that such a nice, cool day would have turned into a even more fun filled day hehehehe. sweet pics btw..

I know it just kept getting progressively worse. With each bad event I thought that I was through with bad luck but it looks like Murphy had other plans.

that cop was just a plain old car! how the hell do you get away with speeding?

cops in NY and VT have decals that light up from 5000 feet away. they're more visible than the sun.

it wasn't a speeding ticket we were in downtown traffic (35mph tops)

Fight that ticket...

and I want the RS with the 22b fenders.

I'm pretty sure we're going to. And I'd rock the shit outta that car too.

Nice pics man, epic pic where you can see your glasses flying off >_<

I know. My jaw hit the floor when I first saw it.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i know it wasn't speeding, but how can you tell cops apart from normal people? that guy was driving a soccer mom SUV.

riledmkv

down not out
i know it wasn't speeding, but how can you tell cops apart from normal people? that guy was driving a soccer mom SUV.

you can't, that's the point. FHP uses completely unmarked chargers and explorers. hell i saw someone get stopped and searched the other night with a '99 taurus :iono:

angrybaker

banned
sucks man,

maybe you can rig a monopod to hold your camera at a low angle put the window and use a remote to trip the shutter? But they might ticket you for some strange law for that as well

pics look sweet.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
sucks man,

maybe you can rig a monopod to hold your camera at a low angle put the window and use a remote to trip the shutter? But they might ticket you for some strange law for that as well

pics look sweet.

yeah I've been thinking of building a rig for a while, but you usually use a rig at very low speeds (<10mph) in parking lots or on back roads