GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a MK7 ...

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
Out of curiosity, what did the dealer give you for the 335?

That’s the thing. I’ve tried to sell my car for a while privately. Got everyone low balling even though my car is in very good shape. Here in Canada used bmw with that many kms is worth nothing. I started taking to the dealers for trade. Instead of talking about what they can give me for my car I started asking for the cash difference between mine and theirs. Obviously I Don’t want to sell wholesale and buy retail. After a lot of negotiations this I ended up paying C$8900 ($6700) to get the golf

Other dealers were asking me 13-14k which means they want my bmw for about 6k. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
The E90 328i (and 1-year 330i motor in 2006 - I bought one new back in the day) motor was bulletproof - the 335i, not so much. HPFP problems they couldn't solve for AGES (but apparently eventually did), turbo/heat issues, etc.

My rule of thumb on BMWs - if there's no blower, has crappy cupholders, no iDrive, has hydraulic steering, and it starts with a key - it's probably a great car. If it doesn't check all of those boxes - don't own it without a warranty!

Agree for this, for now.

People felt the same way about fuel injection 30 years ago.

BMW, and everyone else, will figure out the turbo/heat issues.

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure I completely agree.

Head over to bimmerpost.com. Look at the E90 (2006-2011 3-series) and F30 (2012-present 3-series). Lots of 200k mile and a few 300K miles cars. Bimmers are tanks.

I've had a few:

76 2002, 79 528i, 86 325e, 90 325i, 98 328i (purchased new, sold last year), 11 328iT (best car ever), 17 220i Gran Tourer (Euro Model).

Two case examples:

The 98 328i was purchased new for 36K fully equipped. It was used as a daily up until 2017 w/ 290K miles. No major mechanical problems. Donated for a write-off of $2500.

The 2011 328i wagon (6MT) was purchased new for 38K nicely equipped. I sold it in 2016 for $15K w/ 120K miles. By far, best car I've ever owned.

Hi, Just wondering if the type of BMW's your talking about are: meticulously maintained, garaged and weekend driven.

I love BMW's i think they are the most beautiful cars.

From what i've gathered though, they are the most difficult to maintain and very expensive to fix.

Though, i have heard from multiple people that the driving experience is phenomenal.

Also, from what i've learned is that an out of warranty Bimmer is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

cus i really want a 235 for my next car and need reasons to justifiy it!

Tsi7

Ready to race!
That’s the thing. I’ve tried to sell my car for a while privately. Got everyone low balling even though my car is in very good shape. Here in Canada used bmw with that many kms is worth nothing. I started taking to the dealers for trade. Instead of talking about what they can give me for my car I started asking for the cash difference between mine and theirs. Obviously I Don’t want to sell wholesale and buy retail. After a lot of negotiations this I ended up paying C$8900 ($6700) to get the golf

Other dealers were asking me 13-14k which means they want my bmw for about 6k. Crazy

So the Golf was 23000? If so 14100 for your old 335 is beyond amazing given the kilometres and that it was dealer who gave you that kind of money...

As for bimmer reliability, I have a buddy with a 2013 320i that has 65000 miles and all he's done is oil changes and replaced a battery. I know it's not that high mileage but I'm impressed he hasn't had any major issues... Will be interesting to see how it will be from now on but bimmers aren't all that bad as people make them out to be.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
So the Golf was 23000? If so 14100 for your old 335 is beyond amazing given the kilometres and that it was dealer who gave you that kind of money...

As for bimmer reliability, I have a buddy with a 2013 320i that has 65000 miles and all he's done is oil changes and replaced a battery. I know it's not that high mileage but I'm impressed he hasn't had any major issues... Will be interesting to see how it will be from now on but bimmers aren't all that bad as people make them out to be.

Golf was 21k. On paper they showed the trade as $12k which is still good considering the best I got from other dealers is 8500.
My bmw didn’t teally any issues. The only problem was it had oil pan leak which is normal but it’s like 13hr labour to fix it. Plus I was worried about the turbo issues that may come if I keep the car.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Golf was 21k. On paper they showed the trade as $12k which is still good considering the best I got from other dealers is 8500.
My bmw didn’t teally any issues. The only problem was it had oil pan leak which is normal but it’s like 13hr labour to fix it. Plus I was worried about the turbo issues that may come if I keep the car.

Still very good given km and that it was a dealer

gdub1

2017 GTI MT. Approaching 40K miles of fun. Oil changes at 7500 miles, air and cabin air filters so far. Car has been nothing but fun since day one.
New tires recently and it has made the GTI a little more fun around the corners.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
So finally ended up getting this one today

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Be careful with it in that snow!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yes I did a few weeks ago. Traded that for a 2017 GTI today.

Nice car. But I don't understand why it has the non-PP badge in the front grill, although it appears to have the PP brakes. Wasn't the 2015/16 that way?