GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Things which irritate me on this forum

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
What annoys you lot?

For me these are the two most irritating behaviours on this forum -

1. People referring to themselves in the third party -

i.e. (insert user name here)'s GTI / GT / GTD / R..... I'm sure most here are adults and not too self important to refer to themselves in the third party.

2. Referring to my 2016 GTI or my new 2016 GTI etc. No one has a 2016 anything made by VW (assuming they are not time travelling) it isn't 2016 yet. Your car is a 2015 GTI, made in 2015 or 2014.
What in fact happens - Model year revisions, typically referred to as MY occur mid year and are followed by a year reference which is currently MY16. The car however is still a 2015 production vehicle. The correct reference in my 2015 GTI or my MY16 GTI.

3. Referring to the removal of items on a car as delete. Whilst this isn't a forum trait but more a current culture it still irritates me.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Number 2 is a US thing, I have a 2014 GTI as it was built in 2014 but in the US it is referred to as a 2015. Must be a thing to convince themselves they have a newer car that they actually have.:D

I don't like it when people ask about something and then the next answer is why not ask on XXXX forum as they have more users. Especially when there are people on this forum that will help.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
  1. People starting threads with "So I ... ... " or similar.
  2. Europe/Australasia/South Africa had the Golf Mk7 for a long period prior to its lauch in North America, therefore a considerable build-up of knowledge was already on this forum before they were first on sale in USA/Canada, but no-one seemed to take any notice of this and immediately they knew more than we did and wouldn't search for anything.
  3. As Fingalonga mentions, there's too much cross-referring to other forums.
  4. I was away from the forum for a period of around fifteen months or so before my recent return, the atosphere here has changed considerably and not for the better.
  5. There still seems to be little or no active moderation.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
  1. People starting threads with "So I ... ... " or similar.
  2. Europe/Australasia/South Africa had the Golf Mk7 for a long period prior to its lauch in North America, therefore a considerable build-up of knowledge was already on this forum before they were first on sale in USA/Canada, but no-one seemed to take any notice of this and immediately they knew more than we did and wouldn't search for anything.
  3. As Fingalonga mentions, there's too much cross-referring to other forums.
  4. I was away from the forum for a period of around fifteen months or so before my recent return, the atosphere here has changed considerably and not for the better.
  5. There still seems to be little or no active moderation.

Someone moderated my ass off here in my former guise after I locked horns with some Brazilians and their illegal behaviour and the much missed and highly knowledgeable in things VW - The Bruce was also booted from these parts for his sometimes abrasive nature. I was WolksVagen.......I do prefer Tyler Durden though.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yes I remember WolksVagen, he was a good dude. I don't rcollect The Bruce however, maybe after/before my time, i.e. covering my period of absence.

The Brazilians were a pain in the arse here for a while, but they seem to have disappeared.

I sometimes expected to be sanctioned here when I was perhaps a little hard on Marvin - I can't help wondering of he is still here under an assumed name having weakened and bought a Mky but not having the cojones to admit it.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
Yes I remember WolksVagen, he was a good dude. I don't rcollect The Bruce however, maybe after/before my time, i.e. covering my period of absence.

The Brazilians were a pain in the arse here for a while, but they seem to have disappeared.

I sometimes expected to be sanctioned here when I was perhaps a little hard on Marvin - I can't help wondering of he is still here under an assumed name having weakened and bought a Mky but not having the cojones to admit it.

Ah, Marvin...he was a barrel of laughs! He reminded me of that depressed robot from the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Apparently he's still around, he was online this morning according to his profile.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman owns a 2015 GTI as it was purchased in March 2015. But he ordered in October 2014, so maybe he owns a 2014? As the 2015 was the first model year in the USA I guess he owns a 2015 as a 2014 would be a MK6 which he does not own.

Sandman also knows that new model year sales begin in August (normally in USA), so what is considered a 2016 model is for sale now in 2015.
I guess that make us 5 months ahead of the rest of the World! :cool:

Does not matter much, I have a GTI now. :D:D

I love you all!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Things that annoy me:

1. The golden question that always seems to pop up every fackin time someone joins the forums... "Will modding void my warranty" That question has been beat to hell and back. It has been answered a million times and it still gets asked 24/7.

2. This is not something that annoys me but it's just a funny thing I've seen on the forums. All the Euro guys will put their cars option list in their signature where as the US guys put mods. Doesn't annoy me, but just something interesting that I've found while being here.

3. People not using the search function.

4. People putting threads in wrong locations. The thread will be like "Help diagnose my Misfiring Issue" and they'll put it in the fucking wheels for sale sub-forum lol.

5. I'm sure I will think of more.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
2. This is not something that annoys me but it's just a funny thing I've seen on the forums. All the Euro guys will put their cars option list in their signature where as the US guys put mods. Doesn't annoy me, but just something interesting that I've found while being here.

I suspect this is largely because there isn't the modification culture here in Europe that there is in North America.

As I understand it, there is a massive gulf between car culture here in Europe and in the US. You also have to appreciate that generally European (and especially British) roads are very different to yours. The majority of European roads follow routes which have been in use for many hundreds of years, and this these follow contours, rivers etc., and are generally narrow and far from straight, thus driving conditions and driver requirements are very different.

Customisation/modding of cars here tends to be done on older cars, although you'll see quite a lot of highly modified Golfs here, they are generally Mks 4 & 5 plus a few Mk6.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I suspect this is largely because there isn't the modification culture here in Europe that there is in North America.

As I understand it, there is a massive gulf between car culture here in Europe and in the US. You also have to appreciate that generally European (and especially British) roads are very different to yours. The majority of European roads follow routes which have been in use for many hundreds of years, and this these follow contours, rivers etc., and are generally narrow and far from straight, thus driving conditions and driver requirements are very different.

Customisation/modding of cars here tends to be done on older cars, although you'll see quite a lot of highly modified Golfs here, they are generally Mks 4 & 5 plus a few Mk6.

Oh absolutely, and I'm not saying the different car cultures is a bad thing. It's just funny to me that you could literally block someone's name and location and know with 99% certainty where they live (Continent wise). It's crazy how different the cultures are because in the US if you are a car guy, you pretty much almost always mod your car. On the road you basically know who is a car guy or not based on if they are modded. Overseas it seems more like what you buy is what you get and it stays that way. Culture shock for sure.