GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Can't get my passenger strut in the spindle 100% for the life of me. I have the spreader tool and am using plenty of WD-40. I even shoved a penny in with the spreader to get it wider. I've also loosened the relevant bolts and tried turning the wheels for different angles. Any tips?
View attachment 184403
What suspension is it? Check to see if it's seated all the way on the bottom of the spindle. I've had this happen to me where the strut was fully seated but that tab was blocking the hole and I had to trim the tab a bit in order to get the bolt in.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
did you ask nicely?

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
What suspension is it? Check to see if it's seated all the way on the bottom of the spindle. I've had this happen to me where the strut was fully seated but that tab was blocking the hole and I had to trim the tab a bit in order to get the bolt in.
Its Bilstein B4. Nothing is hindering the tab. Still needs about 2 mm for the strut to seat all the way and to be able to get the bolt in.
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hey all, what's a preferred brand for headlight restoration kits? My previous car had glass lenses, so I've never had to worry about this. I see tons of brands like 3M, Mother's, Meguiars, Cerakote, etc. Is there a tried and true brand for longevity?

I used a 3M kit on the lights on my wife's MINI. They were terribly yellowed. My recommendation is to use your time. It can't be rushed. I have a Griots 3" random orbital that really made the job easier. Once done you will need to coat the lights with some UV protective stuff. I used Meguire's G17804 headlight coating. Just sanding & polishing leaves a not great result. For me the result was excellent. Not sure how long it will last, I'd guess a few years at least.

jay745

torga

Autocross Champion
what do your lenses look like?
They aren't awful, but it's noticeable. More so at an angle. Mostly at the top, but it's spreading down.
IMG_20200828_100951-01.jpeg
IMG_20200828_101021-01.jpeg

I used a 3M kit on the lights on my wife's MINI. They were terribly yellowed. My recommendation is to use your time. It can't be rushed. I have a Griots 3" random orbital that really made the job easier. Once done you will need to coat the lights with some UV protective stuff. I used Meguire's G17804 headlight coating. Just sanding & polishing leaves a not great result. For me the result was excellent. Not sure how long it will last, I'd guess a few years at least.

Thanks for the examples! They look great after the treatment.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Try putting the wheel on and lowering the car to put the weight on it with the strut spreader still in and see if it seats all the way down.
Would you say that is the last resort? I assume I'd have to tighten the 3 lower control arm bolts, the 3 strut mount bolts on top, and the end link before I put it down on the wheel.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Probably not for something like that. What you're describing definitely sounds like the clutch is slipping.

A buddy of mine is battling this but he has a built motor, never seen it happen on a stock motor.
I have, well mine wasn't seized but i assume it seized it the bearing and then snapped the tap off and spun the bearing

jay745

Would you say that is the last resort? I assume I'd have to tighten the 3 lower control arm bolts, the 3 strut mount bolts on top, and the end link before I put it down on the wheel.
Not at all, you definitely have to connect the control arm and strut mount bolts, but you don't have to torque them down just to put weight on it.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Not at all, you definitely have to connect the control arm and strut mount bolts, but you don't have to torque them down just to put weight on it.
Hand tight the new axle bolt as well?

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion

For my Koni install i had a tough one too.
I had to torque everything to spec and leave the spreader in and took it around block slowly and carefully.
Finally seated fully over a small speed bump.

Make sure your spreader itself isnt blocking the tab.
On the other side I was able to get it in using a rubber mallet and WD40.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, the axle bolts and strut mounts are supposed to be torqued on the ground anyways.

For my Koni install i had a tough one too.
I had to torque everything to spec and leave the spreader in and took it around block slowly and carefully.
Finally seated fully over a small speed bump.

Make sure your spreader itself isnt blocking the tab.
On the other side I was able to get it in using a rubber mallet and WD40.

Lowered it onto four wheels with the spread in place (spreader and one penny). It didn't budge. I also bounced the car a bit on the ground to stimulate some heavier loads. Still nothing. The picture below is blurry, but you can see the ring where the shock is missing another 2-3 mm to fully seat. I made sure the spreader wasn't in a spot that would block the tab.

Not sure I love the idea of driving with the spreader still in 😅. Any other suggestions? Should I just try to remove the strut and try again? Is it possible without removing the axle again?

IMG_0499.JPG

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Lowered it onto four wheels with the spread in place (spreader and one penny). It didn't budge. I also bounced the car a bit on the ground to stimulate some heavier loads. Still nothing. The picture below is blurry, but you can see the ring where the shock is missing another 2-3 mm to fully seat. I made sure the spreader wasn't in a spot that would block the tab.

Not sure I love the idea of driving with the spreader still in 😅. Any other suggestions? Should I just try to remove the strut and try again? Is it possible without removing the axle again?

View attachment 184415

Maybe take some scotchbrite/WD to that lower edge where it won't go down?

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Ended up bouncing the car much more aggressively and it finally seated. Unfortunately, facing the same issues on the driver's side now.

I also busted the bolt on the end link. Four cracks and they stop about two threads from the nut. Is it safe to drive on until I get new ones next week?
IMG_1456.JPGIMG_8863.JPGIMG_0515.JPG