GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
First post ... first stupid question ...
Just bought a 2012 GTi manual a few days ago. I haven't had a turbo before, so it might just be my inexperience, but I've noticed something weird.
When I go say about 60 in 5th and put my foot down, the revs seem to increase slowly at first, but then jump up, but I don't feel like the speed increase matches the revs increase, if that makes sense. It kind of feels like it's electronically shifting back to 4th, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Is that just the way the turbo reacts?

Does it smell like burning metal or hot brakes? Heat smell?

Sounds like clutch slippage. RSR or Southbend would be my options.

Everticus

Does it smell like burning metal or hot brakes? Heat smell?

Sounds like clutch slippage. RSR or Southbend would be my options.
Can't say I've noticed any smell, but I haven't driven all that much since I got her. Going for a road trip this weekend, so I'll have more experience to comment on.

Everticus

I suppose clutch slip is a possibility. I don't feel it under normal acceleration, only when I put foot down in 4th or 5th.

She's is at 103k. The carfax indicated that she was regularly serviced at a VW dealership, so it should be in good condition, but yeah, I guess the clutch is a wear and tear item. Completely stock.

Follow up stupid question ... I got a generic 30 day powertrain warranty with the purchase ... does anybody have experience if that might cover the clutch?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Follow up stupid question ... I got a generic 30 day powertrain warranty with the purchase ... does anybody have experience if that might cover the clutch?
Probably not for something like that. What you're describing definitely sounds like the clutch is slipping.
anyone had any issues with the balancing shaft getting seized?
A buddy of mine is battling this but he has a built motor, never seen it happen on a stock motor.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sure sounds like a clutch slipping to me. I wonder how many miles on this car. If it is high mileage then who knows how it was treated before Everticus bought it. I guess that warranty isn't going to cover this, but I'd sure as heck try.

torga

Autocross Champion
Is this visible by just looking at the timing side? Or is it under a bunch of stuff
It's very simple to check, you'll just have to put the front end on jacks.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Does APR Stage 2 use different spark plugs than Stage 1?

Phur

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
Hey all, what's a preferred brand for headlight restoration kits? My previous car had glass lenses, so I've never had to worry about this. I see tons of brands like 3M, Mother's, Meguiars, Cerakote, etc. Is there a tried and true brand for longevity?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hey all, what's a preferred brand for headlight restoration kits? My previous car had glass lenses, so I've never had to worry about this. I see tons of brands like 3M, Mother's, Meguiars, Cerakote, etc. Is there a tried and true brand for longevity?

I have used the 3M kit, it's basically just a polishing rig and the final finishing pads are very fragile. The meguiars/mothers plastX is kinda a temporary fix. You can get it to look better but won't last forever. The cerakote/sylvania come with a finish sealer which will probably last much longer. I think 'Phthalo type'(SP?) recently did this and used clear coat after he sanded/polished them out.

Edit: LINK

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
what do your lenses look like?

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't get my passenger strut in the spindle 100% for the life of me. I have the spreader tool and am using plenty of WD-40. I even shoved a penny in with the spreader to get it wider. I've also loosened the relevant bolts and tried turning the wheels for different angles. Any tips?
IMG_5738.JPG