GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
What's everyone using to clean up the interior cloths? My center console and door arm rests could use some love, might as well clean the seats too.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
What's everyone using to clean up the interior cloths? My center console and door arm rests could use some love, might as well clean the seats too.
A bucket of warm water, and just a tiny bit of laundry detergent. Don't saturate the seats. Wipe them with a wet cloth, then follow up with a dry cloth, if you have to do that several times it's still better than getting the seat too wet, and having the water seep into the foam. Once dry, spray the fabric down with scotch guard.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

A mixture of laundry detergent and water. Just enough water to make it thin enough to come out of a spray bottle. Tide for cold water is suppose to work the best but I use Pursol as that is my standard laundry detergent. Works great for removing stains in clothes and works just as well on car interiors.

I do the doors and dash with it also but after I spray and wipe it off I follow up with a water wipe down to remove any left over detergent.

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks, everyone!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Is a worm gear style clamp enough for the outlet pipe on the turbo?
1597944083329.png

Or should I go with something like this?
1597944136585.png

The OEM pancake pipe has a regular worm gear so I was just going to go with that but a co-worker has me thinking I should order the other style which seems overkill.

torga

Autocross Champion
I use a worm gear style and it holds just fine. But I dunno what the rec is for K04.
A t-bolt clamp for the turbo outlet will be annoying to get to.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Is a worm gear style clamp enough for the outlet pipe on the turbo?
View attachment 183642

Or should I go with something like this?
View attachment 183643

The OEM pancake pipe has a regular worm gear so I was just going to go with that but a co-worker has me thinking I should order the other style which seems overkill.
Worm clamps definitely not....ask me how I know. There's a much better T-bolt style called constant tension which basically allows you to tighten it down further and when the heat eventually gets to the silicon hoses, the spring will clamp down on it as it shrinks. More expensive but definitely worth it if you don't want to deal with the hoses popping off. I've ruined a lot of track sessions with hoses that popped off causing me to jack the car up, tear it apart and re connect the hose. Eventually converted everything over to constant tension and haven't had an issue since.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED8SWIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

torga

Autocross Champion
I have constant tension clamps for my FMIC and they're especially great for the IC itself, since ARM had the big brain idea to make their inlet/outlet as oblong/oval instead of circular.

Everticus

First post ... first stupid question ...
Just bought a 2012 GTi manual a few days ago. I haven't had a turbo before, so it might just be my inexperience, but I've noticed something weird.
When I go say about 60 in 5th and put my foot down, the revs seem to increase slowly at first, but then jump up, but I don't feel like the speed increase matches the revs increase, if that makes sense. It kind of feels like it's electronically shifting back to 4th, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Is that just the way the turbo reacts?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
First post ... first stupid question ...
Just bought a 2012 GTi manual a few days ago. I haven't had a turbo before, so it might just be my inexperience, but I've noticed something weird.
When I go say about 60 in 5th and put my foot down, the revs seem to increase slowly at first, but then jump up, but I don't feel like the speed increase matches the revs increase, if that makes sense. It kind of feels like it's electronically shifting back to 4th, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Is that just the way the turbo reacts?

If it starts to act like it's free revving, clutch slip. Do you know if it's tuned or not and what's the mileage?

Everticus

If it starts to act like it's free revving, clutch slip. Do you know if it's tuned or not and what's the mileage?
I suppose clutch slip is a possibility. I don't feel it under normal acceleration, only when I put foot down in 4th or 5th.

She's is at 103k. The carfax indicated that she was regularly serviced at a VW dealership, so it should be in good condition, but yeah, I guess the clutch is a wear and tear item. Completely stock.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I suppose clutch slip is a possibility. I don't feel it under normal acceleration, only when I put foot down in 4th or 5th.

She's is at 103k. The carfax indicated that she was regularly serviced at a VW dealership, so it should be in good condition, but yeah, I guess the clutch is a wear and tear item. Completely stock.

Yea, you'll be putting more load on it in those gears. Wear item and also would be a key upgrade if you planned on modding.

Everticus