GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Neither here nor there, but I just got a quote from Vroom for my 2019 SE; offered me almost $28k for it. I paid $25,6k six months ago...

Trollin86

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE DSG
Thinking of adding a new 2021 GTI DSG S to our household and thought I'd ask the group on what I can expect for dealer pricing at the moment. I'm willing to travel nationwide for the right deal - I have an abundance of airline and hotel points to burn + unlimited PTO.

I'd be hoping for at least $3,200 off listed sticker MSRP and to leverage VWofA current offer of 0% APR for 60 months.

The best offer I've gotten to so far is $3,500 off sticker, but at 2.99% APR - with local Seattle/WA taxes& $4K down that works out to $2,135 in interest paid over five years, or only a $1,350 incentive to not go with VW finance offer of 0% interest.

Any thoughts from the group? Thanks in advance

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
Inventory is starting to dwindle, with around 238 GTIs that are 2021 DSG S models, according to cars.com. Actually only 881 of the 2021 VW GTI's left overall in the US.

VW incentives are $1,000 now (vs $1,500 last two months) according to carsdirect.com.

I'd contact the dealerships that have the color car you like and ask for their best OTD (out the door) price, having them list their breakdown of costs. Depends on how motivated each dealership is to sell a car on how low they'll go. Then I'd ask for final bids from your top dealer choices, letting them know what price they need to beat.

If you have an incentive to not go with VW financing, that sounds like the best way to go. Last month you should have been able to get $4,000 off using external financing. Not sure about now.

cb1111

Inventory is starting to dwindle, with around 238 GTIs that are 2021 DSG S models, according to cars.com. Actually only 881 of the 2021 VW GTI's left overall in the US.

VW incentives are $1,000 now (vs $1,500 last two months) according to carsdirect.com.

I'd contact the dealerships that have the color car you like and ask for their best OTD (out the door) price, having them list their breakdown of costs. Depends on how motivated each dealership is to sell a car on how low they'll go. Then I'd ask for final bids from your top dealer choices, letting them know what price they need to beat.

If you have an incentive to not go with VW financing, that sounds like the best way to go. Last month you should have been able to get $4,000 off using external financing. Not sure about now.
The OTD price isn't something you want if you are looking at cars in different states. What you want is:

Price including all dealer fees but before government mandated fees like taxes, title and tags.

East coast dealers (NoVA/MD) have the best pricing - but - also have extremely high dealer fees. You might be better off finding a dealer in a high SUV/Pickup market that may have a car you want.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Weird pet peeve: nobody uses the word OTD right. It annoys me so much how people say “I’m looking to negotiate down to 23xxx OTD + taxes”

Trollin86

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE DSG

The OTD price isn't something you want if you are looking at cars in different states. What you want is:

Price including all dealer fees but before government mandated fees like taxes, title and tags.

East coast dealers (NoVA/MD) have the best pricing - but - also have extremely high dealer fees. You might be better off finding a dealer in a high SUV/Pickup market that may have a car you want.

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies! Some great info amongst both your replies. Inventory is absolutely beginning to dwindle. I'm hoping I'd find an Iron Blue or Pure White S.

I have excellent credit and belong to a couple of different Credit Unions - are you suggesting to line-up financing outside of the dealership and take their best price out-the-door? I'm hoping to put down no more than $5K down at the time of purchase. I just don't want to get eaten up at 2-4% interest rates over a 60 month term.

Cheers to you both.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Trollin86, so no dealers in the Washington state area are offering $4k or better off MSRP? Darn, my deal was over $4k off MSRP in Oct 2020 on a 2020 GTI SE. I negotiated basically the same deal for a family member last month, over $4k off MSRP, on a 2021 GTI SE. Both were from a dealer in Florida.

And yes, sounds normal that they offer a better deal if you go with the dealer financing. It was $795 lower to go with their 2.99% financing. Not sure how you can do better if you go the outside financing route. Good luck.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Thank you both for your thoughtful replies! Some great info amongst both your replies. Inventory is absolutely beginning to dwindle. I'm hoping I'd find an Iron Blue or Pure White S.

I have excellent credit and belong to a couple of different Credit Unions - are you suggesting to line-up financing outside of the dealership and take their best price out-the-door? I'm hoping to put down no more than $5K down at the time of purchase. I just don't want to get eaten up at 2-4% interest rates over a 60 month term.

Cheers to you both.
I was able to get roughly $4,000 off on my 2021 SE plus the 0% financing through VW. As far as I recall, there weren’t any advertised incentives from VW at the time either, so it was all dealer discounts.

That was at the end of April though, so maybe the dealership was needing to make an end of the month quota or something.

This is the dealership I bought mine at and they are currently showing 3 DSG S’s on the lot, including DIB and White. All are listed at MSRP though. Keep an eye out and they may drop again at the end of the month. Good luck!

Only about 10 minutes south of the Atlanta airport too.

https://www.atlantavolkswagen.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf GTI

cb1111

Cheers to you both.
You can certainly ask for three prices - with VW 0%, with their financing and paying cash (i.e. your financing).

You may find that they give you a far better discount using their financing. You keep that for a couple of months and refinance with your CU - there is no prepayment penalty on car loans.

Every % is about $1000 in interest on a $30k loan over 72 months, so you can use that as a guideline when comparing costs - for example -

Negotiated cost with 0% $30,000
with dealer financing @4% $27,000 call it $4000 in interest for the about $31k
with CU financing (cash) $29,000 refinance rates for 72 months are in the 2.25% range - so $31250 or so
refinance - $27k plus the $2250 in interest plus $100 or so for the first couple of months interest with dealer financing is under $29500

Of course it depends on the specific discounts, but the calculations will be the same.

cb1111

Weird pet peeve: nobody uses the word OTD right. It annoys me so much how people say “I’m looking to negotiate down to 23xxx OTD + taxes”
Yeah, me too - although not quite as much as those TV commercials with the "but wait, if you order within the next two nanoseconds, we'll double the offer for free - just pay an extra fee" - if you pay a fee, how is it free?

How can it be OTD if you have to add taxes?

Trollin86

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE DSG
You can certainly ask for three prices - with VW 0%, with their financing and paying cash (i.e. your financing).

You may find that they give you a far better discount using their financing. You keep that for a couple of months and refinance with your CU - there is no prepayment penalty on car loans.

Every % is about $1000 in interest on a $30k loan over 72 months, so you can use that as a guideline when comparing costs - for example -

Negotiated cost with 0% $30,000
with dealer financing @4% $27,000 call it $4000 in interest for the about $31k
with CU financing (cash) $29,000 refinance rates for 72 months are in the 2.25% range - so $31250 or so
refinance - $27k plus the $2250 in interest plus $100 or so for the first couple of months interest with dealer financing is under $29500

Of course it depends on the specific discounts, but the calculations will be the same.
I'm close on numbers with a dealership in Oregon. Will see what my wife thinks of adding this Pure White S to the stable. It'd look good next to our GFG Alltrack. So far they're at $2500 off MSRP with 0% APR through VWoA and $150 documentation fee.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Yuck. I recommend taking a hard pass on only $2500 off MSRP. I bet you could take a flight plus hotel to a state with better deals for less than $2000, assuming you can find $4500 off MSRP somewhere else.

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
Yuck. I recommend taking a hard pass on only $2500 off MSRP. I bet you could take a flight plus hotel to a state with better deals for less than $2000, assuming you can find $4500 off MSRP somewhere else.
but it's all about what your time is worth and how much more time/frustration they want to spend tracking down a car across the country... I could have waited to find my current car and maybe gotten a better deal, but the car I got fit exactly what I wanted (and then some I didn't know I wanted) and I could stop looking for a car. I used to love the hunt, but as I get older I'm ok with paying a little more when I find what I want to NOT have to keep the hunt up.

OP- I say if the numbers work for you, go for it!

cb1111

The majority of those places "offering" $4500 play some sort of games - they reduce the price by the destination ($995), all the possible rebates (military, grad, Partner - you most likely can't qualify for all) and then add the doc fee (often $795 or $895). Here is the disclaimer from one dealer:

Internet Sale Price’ includes dealer discounts and may require that you finance the vehicle through one of our lenders. All prices exclude government fees/taxes, finance charges, freight and dealer document processing charge of $799. A $395 transfer fee will be added to the price of all vehicles transferred from other locations or sold to customers outside the DMV. Freight Costs are as follows; All 2019, 2020 and 2021 Jetta, Passat, Golf & Beetle models = $995 / All 2019, 2020 and 2021 Tiguan and Atlas models = $1,195. Prices also exclude any dealer added accessories and other fees. Internet prices may not be valid with promotional/specials APRs.

Today, a $2500 discount with the 0% is a pretty solid deal - especially if you can also qualify for the military or partner rebates.