GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Photography Thread!

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Keh.com

I personally like buying the body new and the lens used .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey KWISS! Thanks for the advice!

I just realized all my gear is refurbished lol.

Never had an issue buying used/refurbished gear. Too expensive to buy new

Duly noted, I'll definitely be looking used since I'm not in a massive rush.

Buying the bodies used is the way to go. Most people buy DSLRs with the intent to learn but a high percentage end up just not doing it. If you lookin ebay you'll see how many previous gen cameras are on the market with low shutter counts. I bought my 5D mkII with verticle grip from a guy on craigslist three years ago for $1300. I could sell it now and only be out a couple hundred. If you're patient you will find great deals on used bodies. 7D bodies are selling for around $550 on ebay.

The lenses don't depreciate as much as the bodies do. I've never actually bought a used lens yet. Not that I'm against it, just have yet to run into a deal good enough for me to not by new.

Hmm, any concerns buying off eBay? Or just stick to decent sellers and you should be fine?

What are the advantages to the different bodies, 5Ds and 7Ds and such, or does anyone know a good read on that?

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Other than the bells and whistles that most people don't end up using, the biggest difference are the sensors.

Aps-c sensors, or crop sensors cause more distortion and vignetting and generally are not true in terms of perspective(they tend to crop the image you are seeing through the viewfinder, hence the name)

Full frame is more expensive, and has less vignetting and much less distortion. No cropping. What you see is what you get.

Full frame is more expensive.
Canons full frames are the 6d and 5d MKii, MKiii
Nikon full frames are the d600, 610, 750, 800, 810, 3s, 4s etc...

Kind of off topic, but I'm selling my canon xsi with the kit lets (18-55mm) along with a better lens 28-135mm.
Let me know if you'd want it. It's an older model. Crop sensor. All
My pictures to this date have been taken with it.
Gets the job and gets it done well.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Other than the bells and whistles that most people don't end up using, the biggest difference are the sensors.

Aps-c sensors, or crop sensors cause more distortion and vignetting and generally are not true in terms of perspective(they tend to crop the image you are seeing through the viewfinder, hence the name)

Full frame is more expensive, and has less vignetting and much less distortion. No cropping. What you see is what you get.

Full frame is more expensive.
Canons full frames are the 6d and 5d MKii, MKiii
Nikon full frames are the d600, 610, 750, 800, 810, 3s, 4s etc...

Kind of off topic, but I'm selling my canon xsi with the kit lets (18-55mm) along with a better lens 28-135mm.
Let me know if you'd want it. It's an older model. Crop sensor. All
My pictures to this date have been taken with it.
Gets the job and gets it done well.

You have been misinformed. The terms full frame and cropped sensor are used in reference to the size of the sensors in comparison to 35mm film. The viewfinder coverage of modern-day cameras are in the high nineties to 100%. So what you see in the viewfinder should be what you get regardless if you're shooting with a full frame camera or a cropped sensor camera. Any distortion or perspective variances seen in the viewfinder is a result of the lens focal length being used. Vignetting is more prominent in full frame because of light fall off near the edges of the sensor. You will see next to zero vignetting on a cropped sensor.

http://www.slrlounge.com/school/cropped-sensor-vs-full-frame-sensor-tips-in-2/

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
You have been misinformed. The terms full frame and cropped sensor are used in reference to the size of the sensors in comparison to 35mm film. The viewfinder coverage of modern-day cameras are in the high nineties to 100%. So what you see in the viewfinder should be what you get regardless if you're shooting with a full frame camera or a cropped sensor camera. Any distortion or perspective variances seen in the viewfinder is a result of the lens focal length being used. Vignetting is more prominent in full frame because of light fall off near the edges of the sensor. You will see next to zero vignetting on a cropped sensor.

http://www.slrlounge.com/school/cropped-sensor-vs-full-frame-sensor-tips-in-2/

every single crop sensor dslr ive used has had horrible viewfinder coverage.
as far as vignetting, i did make a mistake. full frame does get more vignetting.
i wouldnt say youll get zero vignetting, but you dont get nearly as much

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Hey KWISS! Thanks for the advice!

Duly noted, I'll definitely be looking used since I'm not in a massive rush.

Hmm, any concerns buying off eBay? Or just stick to decent sellers and you should be fine?

What are the advantages to the different bodies, 5Ds and 7Ds and such, or does anyone know a good read on that?

Just stick with a reputable seller, take into the consideration of the cosmetic condition ( a good indicator of how it was used not just the frequncy it was used), and go with one with as low of a shutter count as you can find. All cameras have a different life rating for the shutter. Some have a 100k lifespan and some are double that. That's not to say a shutter can't go out at 3000 shots but it's still less wear and tear on the mechanism.

What do you plan on shooting more of?
Portraits
Landscape
Sports/Events
Products

These things matter in regards to choosing a sensor type and function set of the camera.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Just stick with a reputable seller, take into the consideration of the cosmetic condition ( a good indicator of how it was used not just the frequncy it was used), and go with one with as low of a shutter count as you can find. All cameras have a different life rating for the shutter. Some have a 100k lifespan and some are double that. That's not to say a shutter can't go out at 3000 shots but it's still less wear and tear on the mechanism.

What do you plan on shooting more of?
Portraits
Landscape
Sports/Events
Products

These things matter in regards to choosing a sensor type and function set of the camera.

Will all listings have a shutter count? Can a shutter be replaced after it goes bad? What sort of expense is that? I've been looking into new prices a bit to get a feel for what I can get new and then compare pricing and see what is a good deal used.

I will be shooting landscapes and cars mostly, I will probably take the camera to some grandAM events and things of the sort though.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Will all listings have a shutter count? Can a shutter be replaced after it goes bad? What sort of expense is that? I've been looking into new prices a bit to get a feel for what I can get new and then compare pricing and see what is a good deal used.

I will be shooting landscapes and cars mostly, I will probably take the camera to some grandAM events and things of the sort though.

Not all listings will have it. Not everybody that owns a camera knows how to get that number. Just ask the seller to disclose. Shutter replacement is typically several hundred dollars.

Full frame benefits landscape photogs because of the ability to go wider with the lenses. If you're not shooting too many moving things then you could pick up a used 5D mkII around a grand. If you're willing to go with the original 5D you're looking at $300 but it lacks video recording if that's inportant to you.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Will probably pick up one of these.

Attachments

• static.squarespace.jpg
    static.squarespace.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 214