GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Gold foil? Some NASA shit right there. 9s, easy.

youre in for a treat today... full NSFW thread coming about my TPC20 experience. No more secrets.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
just swapped it for 10 second passes. Here I come.

What’s your 0-384,000km time (to the moon)?

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
I'll post the dragy later.

How are you liking that littco? I'm in the market for a new turbo. How long have you had it?
It is a good turbo, I got it used with ~15k miles on it and it has been on for a good 4-5 months.. Good for 400whp on pump and hopefully around 450-470 on MPI/e85. I am in the process of doing a whole hardware overhaul to do the above limits. Really hard to source anyone maxing out the turbo - I’ve seen maybe one guy on e85, but no dyno/draggys.

Personally, you would get more out of a standard vortex or XL. I would go that route if I ever had to swap.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
LOL. It's just paper. I would do it all over again. I'm annoyed bc those tests about the intakes, inlet pipes and intercoolers are ridiculous. Who's website is it? Yours? or is that guy still banned?

I'm more mad about the $1000 catch can that doesn't work.

What's ridiculous about trying different parts and seeing how they compare?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
What's ridiculous about trying different parts and seeing how they compare?

It's really weird, he calls them scooby doo tests but I'm sitting over here like he's using a real world flow bench and doin the exact same test with real world applications on dozens of parts. It's 100% legit, I don't know how anyone can even think his testing is wrong...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's really weird, he calls them scooby doo tests but I'm sitting over here like he's using a real world flow bench and doin the exact same test with real world applications on dozens of parts. It's 100% legit, I don't know how anyone can even think his testing is wrong...
It’s cause they didn’t personally like his demeanor, lol. It’s the same way with Vargas - regardless that the turbo works people hated how he was so now that means the turbo is trash also cause it’s not a game changer. , 😂😂

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
It’s cause they didn’t personally like his demeanor, lol. It’s the same way with Vargas - regardless that the turbo works people hated how he was so now that means the turbo is trash also cause it’s not a game changer. , 😂😂

That's pretty weak. I'm not a fan of Navi's demeanor, but I'll hear him out on his "annoyance" with the tests.

Getting back on topic, it's nice to see a company introduce another product option.
(y)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
How about this test showing only a 3% increase in flow for the APR closed intake vs totally stock? http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/06/apr-intake-retest/

And this testing (linked above me) shows clearly that a modified stock airbox with a filter and silicone hose for $140 + TIP for ~130 (same for all parts) is 10% better than the apr closed intake and within 3% (10cfm) of most open element intakes.

Well aware. Terrible test. 3% wouldn't produce the gains we see in the real world. This is because the test is skewed. They test the stock airbox without the front inlet. The front airbox has an opening larger than the inlet's opening when not attached, so it flows more on the bench. Also, the bench numbers are just plain offer - they literally measure our parts HIGHER than what we advertise. Probably not using the correct inlet size at the bench, which will throw any oversized TIPs off.

Navi

Autocross Champion

You're kidding right? If an intercooler is tested, why isn't the temperature of the air entering the intercooler measured and the temperature exiting the intercooler measured. Isn't that the whole purpose of having an intercooler? If the only thing you are looking at is flow of air through metal, then you're missing it. Let me know when he "installs" all the parts he tests and shows the temperatures as well as datalogs. Then maybe I'll care.