GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The Ultimate Open Carbon Fiber Intake System is Here!

Details
Details
Details

The APR Open Carbon Fiber Intake System is the ultimate intake system for the 1.8T/2.0T Engine! We've maximized performance and sound dramatically by reducing pressure drop and increasing airflow. This translates to more horsepower and torque, and less physical strain on the turbocharger. The system looks great, sounds amazing, and produces more horsepower and torque you can feel.

Our beautiful carbon fiber intake system does away with the closed airbox design and uses a massive 7" washable and reusable cotton filter with a frontal inlet and 4" rear outlet. This was necessary to limit pressure drop across the factory system and maximize airflow, while allowing you to fully hear the engine breathe! The massive filter provides excellent filtration. By oversizing the filter, we're able to limit pressure drop without sacrificing filtration. This is made possible through the use of greatly increased filter surface area. Carbon fiber not only looks great, but it allows us to make a complex and organic heat shield shape that keeps hot air pushed through the frontal radiator away from the intake tract. Furthermore carbon fiber allows us to limit wall thickness on the intake pipe, maximizing the pipe's internal diameter and thus airflow. Lastly, carbon fiber retains heat less than other materials, such as metal, making it ideal for performance.

Video:

Flow Bench and Power Testing

The factory intake system simply can’t match the performance of our intake system. The full factory frontal airbox only flows 521 CFM at 28” of H2O. We improved this by 60% with our open airbox, which flows 833 CFM by comparison! However, it’s important to always look at the intake system as a whole as flow numbers alone don’t always speak to the broader picture. The factory turbocharger can only flow just under 400 CFM through the factory opening, and any intake system will lessen maximum flow. The goal is to minimize all restrictions before the turbocharger as much as possible to maximize performance. The full factory system brings this down to 275 CFM, or 31% less. The full APR System (Open airbox, rear pipe, and turbo inlet pipe), bring this down to 345 CFM, which is only 13% less, or a 25% improvement over stock! This directly translates to more power you can feel. Our full bolt on APR Tuned S3 saw max gains of 12 AWHP and 13 AWFT-LBS of torque using the full intake system compared to stock! These are solid gains that make a noticeable difference in performance!

Photos

Fits:

1.8T / 2.0T Ea888 Gen 3 (Excludes Gen 3B with MAF sensor behind airbox).

MQB Platform: New A3/S3, Q3, TT/TTS, Arteon, Golf/GTI/R, Jetta GLI, Leon/Cupra, Octavia, and many more European models.

Pricing and Parts

Details
Details
Details

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I still have not seen a credible before/after dyno of a >300whp MQB car on the dyno with the hood closed both times that shows a good gain. flowbench stuff can be misleading and doesn't mean much to me. what the world wants to see imo is a good dyno test on the same day on the same dyno with the hood closed showing strong power gains

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I still have not seen a credible before/after dyno of a >300whp MQB car on the dyno with the hood closed both times that shows a good gain. flowbench stuff can be misleading and doesn't mean much to me. what the world wants to see imo is a good dyno test on the same day on the same dyno with the hood closed showing strong power gains

It's a measurement tool, like a scale or a ruler, or a dyno.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's a measurement tool, like a scale or a ruler, or a dyno.
All true except for the last part. It's like a Turbo Muffler Delete. Lots of claims, no actual verifiable results. Hot air intakes can perform okay with loads of supplemental cooling, ie a dyno fan, but tend to suffer in actual, hood closed, real world driving conditions. They're pretty though.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

The gains I posted were with the hood closed. While that's still not the same as on the road, as more air would be forced through the system in the real world, it's still more realistic than the hood open.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Showing up late to the party like
oh-yeah-gif-kool-aid-9.gif

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Showing up late to the party like

FWIW we had one of the first intakes on the market. We had the first MK7 in the USA in 2013. (We imported it from europe before it was released). We sell multiple thousands of them each year. I doubt this will be the last intake we offer for this platform. It's popular. We like options because our customers like options.

Edit: Here's a public post I made bout it in April of 2014. There may be earlier posts, but I'm tired of scrolling. I shot this one when I was in Germany:

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
All true except for the last part. It's like a Turbo Muffler Delete. Lots of claims, no actual verifiable results. Hot air intakes can perform okay with loads of supplemental cooling, ie a dyno fan, but tend to suffer in actual, hood closed, real world driving conditions. They're pretty though.

Are you saying you do not believe a dyno is a tool for taking measurements?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Are you saying you do not believe a dyno is a tool for taking measurements?
No, are you always this obtuse? Are you saying there's any verifiable dyno result pointing to any MQB intake adding any power? You can use any engine tune, and honestly, any situation, open hood, 100 fans, one degree above absolute zero. I don't think you'll find anything.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
If you took every intake mod that companies advertise for MQB cars (intake, modified grill inlet, TIP, hose) and added it together your car would supposedly gain 50whp. Except everyone knows you might not even see a 5whp gain under identical conditions. In other words, anyone buying an intake for supposed HP gains is wasting their money. The only real benefit they can offer is lower IATS (depending on design) and higher flow (which is not a restriction on these cars until much bigger hp numbers). Open intakes are just for noise and looks, they often register HIGHER IATs then stock.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you took every intake mod that companies advertise for MQB cars (intake, modified grill inlet, TIP, hose) and added it together your car would supposedly gain 50whp. Except everyone knows you might not even see a 5whp gain under identical conditions. In other words, anyone buying an intake for supposed HP gains is wasting their money. The only real benefit they can offer is lower IATS (depending on design) and higher flow (which is not a restriction on these cars until much bigger hp numbers). Open intakes are just for noise and looks, they often register HIGHER IATs then stock.

But the chart...

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
saying what everyone is thinking: can't wait to see the practical real world numbers regarding CFM's and IAT's.
That being said, it is a very nice looking intake

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The best intake is the stock with a drop in and silicone hose. TIP is a must as well. The rest of it falls under the category of engine bay decorations.