GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Helix Dongle Programming Rental Thread -- Part 2

Blip6to2

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
I programmed my amp and I am one of the very few that preferred how the system sounded prior to flashing the amp. To me after programming, the mids are really harsh and bother my right ear a lot. I think this has a lot to do with the dsp time delay/time alignment. It makes it sound like all the middle/hi range sound is coming from the center of the windshield/dash. It feels like the mids bounce off the windshield and drills into my right ear. I initially tried program 60 for the wagons which was even worse with this so I settled on program 57 for the regular 4 door mk7's. Positives are that the bass is much more powerful/tight and more frequencies can be heard across the spectrum. However, I personally can't stand to listen to the system very loud at all and have to keep it quiet. Prior to programming, I found the sound more warm and balanced over deck power and I could listen at high volumes with no issues. I've tried eq'ing the harshness out and the only way to get it close is to have the mid all the way down and then I lose hearing a lot of things. I am in no way discouraging getting yours programmed as the vast majority of people note programming their system as being a must and very positive experience. I am also not trying to hijack this thread at all and please let me know if this post is inappropriate/ if I should delete it. However, it doesn't appear to be possible to get the amp back to an unprogrammed state. I would be much appreciated if someone took pity on me and would be willing to trade me amps. My program 57 flashed amp for your out of the box unprogrammed/un-flashed amp. I'd even be willing to foot the bill for shipping both ways. If you would be interested, please PM me. Otherwise for now, I just have the system bypassed back to deck power and would rather just sell the sub box/amp if no one would be willing to do that. Thank you all and thank you again Snobrdrdan for providing this service for everyone here and being so professional with it!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I programmed my amp and I am one of the very few that preferred how the system sounded prior to flashing the amp. To me after programming, the mids are really harsh and bother my right ear a lot. I think this has a lot to do with the dsp time delay/time alignment. It makes it sound like all the middle/hi range sound is coming from the center of the windshield/dash. It feels like the mids bounce off the windshield and drills into my right ear. I initially tried program 60 for the wagons which was even worse with this so I settled on program 57 for the regular 4 door mk7's. Positives are that the bass is much more powerful/tight and more frequencies can be heard across the spectrum. However, I personally can't stand to listen to the system very loud at all and have to keep it quiet. Prior to programming, I found the sound more warm and balanced over deck power and I could listen at high volumes with no issues. I've tried eq'ing the harshness out and the only way to get it close is to have the mid all the way down and then I lose hearing a lot of things. I am in no way discouraging getting yours programmed as the vast majority of people note programming their system as being a must and very positive experience. I am also not trying to hijack this thread at all and please let me know if this post is inappropriate/ if I should delete it. However, it doesn't appear to be possible to get the amp back to an unprogrammed state. I would be much appreciated if someone took pity on me and would be willing to trade me amps. My program 57 flashed amp for your out of the box unprogrammed/un-flashed amp. I'd even be willing to foot the bill for shipping both ways. If you would be interested, please PM me. Otherwise for now, I just have the system bypassed back to deck power and would rather just sell the sub box/amp if no one would be willing to do that. Thank you all and thank you again Snobrdrdan for providing this service for everyone here and being so professional with it!

You have a 7.5, 60 (estate)and 57 (golf/GTI/R) are for MK7s. You would want one of the New/highlighted codes with an MK7.5. How many speakers do you have? I have a 17 GSW with 8 speaker system, so 60 sounds awesome for me. Though I assume you don't have the dual rear door speakers like I do.
1602269929553.png

You would probably want to program to 98.

Blip6to2

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
You have a 7.5, 60 (estate)and 57 (golf/GTI/R) are for MK7s. You would want one of the New/highlighted codes with an MK7.5. How many speakers do you have? I have a 17 GSW with 8 speaker system, so 60 sounds awesome for me. Though I assume you don't have the dual rear door speakers like I do.
View attachment 188239

You would probably want to program to 98.
I wondered about that honestly but could not find a clear answer. I did try both 97 and 98 as well when I had the dongle. The only thing that was noticeable was a lot less output from the sub drivers with both of those. The speaker tuning seemed to remain the same. My rear door panels appear to have spots where tweeters would be, but I'm not actually sure there are any in there.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I wondered about that honestly but could not find a clear answer. I did try both 97 and 98 as well when I had the dongle. The only thing that was noticeable was a lot less output from the sub drivers with both of those. The speaker tuning seemed to remain the same. My rear door panels appear to have spots where tweeters would be, but I'm not actually sure there are any in there.
I would think 98 and resetting your balance and fade would help. Not sure if you reset your EQ on the head unit, but most report they need to.

Blip6to2

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
I would think 98 and resetting your balance and fade would help. Not sure if you reset your EQ on the head unit, but most report they need to.
I did reset balance/fade and eq all times. I was actually able to run the eq almost all flat before programming. After programming with the different files, I had to take the mid back way down like what was necessary just using deck power pre-helix install. I already shipped the dongle onto the next guy so he wouldn't have to wait. Regardless from trying the different programs, I know personally I preferred the way it sounded pre-flash without the simulated staging effect. So that's why I'm hoping I can find a way to get an unflashed amp again. I appreciate the input though. Now it's making me wonder if I should have left it on 98

JSA

Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Hey guys. Just installed the helix last night. Definitely and improvement. Can I get on the list for the dongle? Thanks.

Jonos

Car(s)
renting cars
How is it possible to sign up for the dongle if I live in Canada. I would like to rent it but I do not know if it possible for you to ship to Canada. Also, I did rent a car in Ukraine from https://narscars.com.ua/en/lviv-r6 and the question is if I need to inform them that I would use the dongle in the rental car or it would not affect the car in any way? I am just afraid if this dongle will be compatible with the car that I am currently ranting, as I do not want any problems. I know maybe I sound a bit weird for you but I am from Ukraine and live in Canada and I am afraid to do something wrong as I do not know a lot about cars.

Last edited: