GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Helix Dongle Programming Rental Thread -- Part 2

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So Helix are the speakers on the GTI?
The Helix is a sub woofer + DSP combo that was designed for the MK7/7.5 stereo. Programming it tells the system what speaker configuration is on your MK7 to set the DSP to the best settings.

Edit: It's like adding the Fender or the Dynaaudio package to the car. Rear sub that mounts in spare area, speakers see better sound output, etc.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
The Helix is a sub woofer + DSP combo that was designed for the MK7/7.5 stereo. Programming it tells the system what speaker configuration is on your MK7 to set the DSP to the best settings.

Edit: It's like adding the Fender or the Dynaaudio package to the car. Rear sub that mounts in spare area, speakers see better sound output, etc.

So it’s an “aftermarket” upgrade rather than something you can option like Fender or Dyn audio?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Somewhat, but it's an official VW Accessory. So if you didn't option for the Fender or DynAudio systems you can upgrade the stock factory system with a simple install. Easier than pulling apart everything to re-wire.
https://parts.vw.com/p/volkswagen__/Spare-Tire-Mount-Subwoofer--Soundbox/70346182/000051419B.html

Thanks for the info so far and sorry for the noob question, I honestly never heard of it.
So to my understanding, it replaces the spare tire with a subwoofer + amplifier combo, and can connect to the normal speakers plug and play?

Is it worth the upgrade? I have TSI Golf (non GTI) and the speakers are kinda lame.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks for the info so far and sorry for the noob question, I honestly never heard of it.
So to my understanding, it replaces the spare tire with a subwoofer + amplifier combo, and can connect to the normal speakers plug and play?

Is it worth the upgrade? I have TSI Golf (non GTI) and the speakers are kinda lame.
Depends on model, but you can keep your spare. I know the GTI has some issues, but with a longer spare mounting bolt you can keep both - your subfloor just hits and there is a few mm gap. I was able to fit both no problem, but I have a Sportwagen.

I shopped around and got mine for 35% off, and used the current VW 15% cash back rebate that is going on now. With the deal I got on it, I'd say it's completely worth it. The subs sound nice for how small they are and the speakers are a lot less flat. I'm happy with the sound system now. It's pretty plug and play, just need to route the cable through the passenger side to the glovebox, swap a few connections and plug it up. Then program.

Good post with info on the system:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/helix-soundbox-upgrade-information-post.346458/

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Finished my install last night and it sounds great so far. Can't wait to hear it after the programming.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Just got mine programmed with the rental from here... people were not kidding about the difference it makes! I was pretty unimpressed with the stock helix audio, to say the least, and my dealer had no idea what a programmer was or how to order one so I came here and I am glad that I did. When I first installed the helix the EQ curve was horrible. Huge frequency ranges seemed to be cut completely and the highs were super harsh if you turned them up at all. Nothing I did in the cars EQ setting could fix it. Reprogramming with the dongle has fixed ALL of that.

I am now finally happy with the way the “stock” audio/speakers sounds. I am the person who always goes for the upgraded audio on whatever car I buy so I am super glad this worked out. The normal stock system in this car was decent, It wasn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t say it was anything to get excited about either. The helix at first made it worse in a few ways which was disappointing but after the programming it is night and day better than before. Not quite as good as the Harmon kardon system in my old Impreza sport, I loved that one, but it’s close. Everything is much better defined now. Some low end stuff is still a little funky but hey, it’s still *technically* a stock system so you can only ask so much. I rarely listen to bass heavy hip hop anyways. I can not recommend the programmer enough. Absolutely a must if you put the helix in your car.

For anyone wondering if they should bother going through with the rental, DO IT. You will not be disappointed. I can not believe that VW tries to tell people it’s pre-programmed for the golf mk7 when that is so undeniably false.

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Just reprogrammed mine and it sounds much better and “fuller”.

Just an FYI, in case you haven’t seen it in this thread or others, but when you plug in the dongle it may already be set to 57 (assuming you have a four door golf/GTI). You should program it to a random setting, I chose 60, wait for it to flash PF and then unplug it. Plug it back in and it should now read 60. Then I changed it to the setting for my car (57) and programmed it again. It sounds completely different. So don’t plug it in, see 57, and think “oh I guess I don’t need to program it”.