GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Gunkat Car Ownership Feedback Thread for 2015

michal

Go Kart Champion
lol.

I got the sticker on it from my buddy who's still at Audi for the next, oh, 2 weeks.. it has the nav system only and no sport diff.

This.

warranty is already gone or close to it.

That.

correct, I hear the 3.0T is more solid than the 2.0T in the GTI/A3, lol. With how fast the tune and pulley is, a clutch would be well worth it, lol..

This.

word, word. I've always loved silver on cars, most cars at least.

That.

This.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd probably just buy a Miata over an E36, s2k over either.

It comes back to the S2K often... price for what the guy is selling it for, reliability, looks, handling... we will see. The dude will be at the BMW Club dinner tonight, so ill try to meet him and talk to him more about it.. if he would commit to a sale for/by April 1st, we could wait it out.. but when that silver E36 comes up.. it is also enticing.. if it were to check out OK via PPI and could be had for $9500.. could be good too.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
If you were to get an older, cheaper car I would recommend one that would be more reliable. Especially if you are going to beat on it by tracking/autocrossing. Sure, an E36 is badass but is it really worth the potential trouble it would come with in the long run?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you were to get an older, cheaper car I would recommend one that would be more reliable. Especially if you are going to beat on it by tracking/autocrossing. Sure, an E36 is badass but is it really worth the potential trouble it would come with in the long run?

indeed, but the E36 M is supposed to be fairly reliable.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I guess E36 is a decent compromise between Miata and something like a GTO. Small enough to be decent-ish at autox but still has a little bit of power to not be boring on track.

Are you scared of RX8 reliability? Those are in that same compromise area too.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
indeed, but the E36 M is supposed to be fairly reliable.

:lol:

Not Miata, S2K or Cobra reliable (yes I know you are not considering one, but they are reliable). Maybe reliable for an M car doe. Which generally is not saying much...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I guess E36 is a decent compromise between Miata and something like a GTO. Small enough to be decent-ish at autox but still has a little bit of power to not be boring on track.

Are you scared of RX8 reliability? Those are in that same compromise area too.

I am VERY scared of RX8 reliability from what I've seen and heard.

I floated that one GTO to my buddy for about 14k, he didn't seem interested, lol.

The E36 M3 is supposed to be epic at autox and very good at track. but yeah, anything has more power than the miata, so that's a plus, lol.

+1

:lol:

Not Miata, S2K or Cobra reliable (yes I know you are not considering one, but they are reliable). Maybe reliable for an M car doe. Which generally is not saying much...

haha, no, they are supposed to be decent, not even just for an M or whatever. But I agree, odds are better with something japanese.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
How are prices for parts on the E36 M3? Labor costs? If it does break, is it relatively cheap to fix? A Miata, S2K and Cobra (I know, I know... you hate it but it costs the same as these other examples) are cheap and reliable.

C5 nails every single point. Fast in everything, reliable, cheap to fix and massive aftermarket. It checks all boxes.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
C5 nails every single point. Fast in everything, reliable, cheap to fix and massive aftermarket. It checks all boxes.

It's really the best for what he wants.

However, e36 M3's are rather reliable if they've been maintained. The biggest thing to watch for are the subframe bushings. Expensive to replace and NEED to be replaced before they go bad or you're looking at some fab work on the body mounts. If you find a car where they've been done, you can beat on it time and time again with little worry.

I think a better buy is an e36 328is. 9/10 what an M3 is, usually a fraction of the price.

I also wouldn't let the lack of LSD get in the way. It's easy/cheap to swap out if you decide you really need it, but I doubt you will unless modding the engine for more power.