GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Gunkat Car Ownership Feedback Thread for 2015

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Similar to Max, I am an eternal tire kicker that will start several threads on the same subject.... and this has been discussed before, but as I literally ALMOST bought a 2006 Miata last week, I am getting closer and closer to making some kind of purchase/trade-in/change in car situation in the near future, now looking to be in March of 2015, when I get my bonus from work and after tax return time.

I've contemplated a few options.... the simplest and easiest one is to keep the faux S3 that I have now, and put out $3K-$5K in cash for a used miata, and be done. The miata would become the dedicated weekend and track/autox car. It would have to be MT, and I would do just brake pads, tires, sway bars (if needed) and go. Later a roll cage for serious track duty. The A3 would be delegated to a "normal car" status again, but would remain with the current mods on it, etc.

Option B: Trade in the A3 (or sell privately) on something like:

S2K - newest and lowest mileage possible, so not a cheap one. Prime example, and I'd pay very little sales tax due to the dollar amounts of each car (my trade-in vs purchase car) : http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=[HONDA[S2000[]][]]&listingId=384824118&Log=0

C5 Z06

BRZ Limited

And then get something like a used Civic or Accord as my new DD.

Let it be known, I commute by train now, so I literally drive 1.6miles a day on average. I am in a decent situation on the loan on my Audi, so not worried about that. If it could be sold privately as-is, I would net some decent coin, if I parted out and traded in, i'd get some money back and would get some decent tax savings in our state for the trade in.

If the 2015 WRX did a little something ... more, I dunno, I'd be tempted to go straight for that... but I'd want the Limited and even with my ability to get one closer to $28,500 area, its still a lot of dough when compared to a used Evo GSR, or something else. The appeal of the cheaper cash-buy Miata plan is that it is "expendable" as far as any mechanical breakdown issues or... crashes, etc. I would only see the track with it a few times, more autox most likely.

If there were news that the STI was getting a new motor, that would change things too.. I've also been tempted by a used GSR Evo that could do everything, AND when the R arrives in stick... hmm..makes you think, but like Max says, its still a lot of money for a Turbo Yaris.

Feedbackballs?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Or we could be Cobro's... get one of those.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
1970 Beetle will solve all your problems.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
:D
:laugh:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Sell Audi in spring. No commute so get what u want for once :) what do u want? I'm thinking fun, inspiring, track/auto-xable _______________ Fill in the blank and do it!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Sell Audi in spring. No commute so get what u want for once :) what do u want? I'm thinking fun, inspiring, track/auto-xable _______________ Fill in the blank and do it!

I'd love something fancy, just don't see the point if I'm barely driving, or risking an expensive car on the track, or having a german car perhaps, lol... I don't know. A CPO S4 could be awesome, but they are still fairly costly, but who knows.. the german car paranoia would remain and like I was saying, the risk is much higher for track days etc.

How much $ you want to spend?

depends on the scenario.... if trading in Audi, brand new car could be closer to 30k+.. can finance longer and at lower rates. Used car like the examples given, probably try to cap it at 25k.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
IMO get a BRZ or used Cayman.

Skip the miata, convertibles are annoying for track rules with no roll bar/cage.

The BRZ is tempting in a few ways... much much newer car.. better looks, imho/arguable. I still have yet to drive one though and really need to. I'd definitely need to lower it tho, they have horrible wheel gap stock.

Miata - I'd most likely get a bar/cage put in at some point, yes. otherwise, it could spend the first summer just doing some auto-x, that would be fine with me too.