GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thank God I was in the Golf

CELT100

Ready to race!
Right, here we go....

My wife said to me not to go to work today due to 3"of snow.

Main roads were clear although they were very slippy. I was following a Smart car down a country lane. Due to the conditions, we were not travelling at more than 40 mph.

We were on a straight road, when a car skidded out of a side road into are road of travel. The Smart car swerved around him & nearly hit a car head on coming in the other direction.

I decided to swerve left down the side road, which resulted in my car sliding side ways into his car. Drivers window smashed then car slid into a ditch and landed on the drivers side.

All air bags deployed. Apart from a broken rib & bruising, I live to see another day.

Rappy :-(
Glad you are ok. Must have been scary.
Next time, listen to the wife. You know they are never wrong.;)

Mk620T

Ready to race!
Glad you are ok. Must have been scary.
Next time, listen to the wife. You know they are never wrong.;)

Damn, was hoping the wife is right thing was some American development lol.

Seriously though, glad you're okay. But in reality, that's why we drive golfs - well made, safe, cutting edge technology with a fit and finish not really rivaled by a non-German competitor or anyone else in the price range.

Nevo

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear the news but glad the Golf did its job. One of the reasons I sold my 2006 A6 was to put my family in a safer car and the golf is exactly that.

pcr

Ready to race!
I don't really understand this thread saying how well the Golf did, it crashed, failed to stop and failed to turn, it was the Smart car that did well in my book.

nateroc

Passed Driver's Ed
So we throw out driver error entirely? And assume the opportunity to dodge the car was exactly the same between the two? Without having been there yourself? I mean, it is a Golf forum, I don't know why you don't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I don't really understand this thread saying how well the Golf did, it crashed, failed to stop and failed to turn, it was the Smart car that did well in my book.

You had to be there.

I had two choices in the space of secs. Either follow the Smart car and have a possible head on crash. Which would result in a 3/4 car pile up. The Smart car narrowly missed a head on.

Or decide to avoid a head on and negotiate the side road the shogun was coming out of.

I think my route was a safer bet.

Any car would of slid due to the conditions. The point of the thread was to demonstrate how good the Golf performed in an impact.

Rappy :(

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
James, I agree.

Missing the Golf already. Not had chance to drive the Peugeot 308 yet, due to all the pain killers etc..

First impressions not a car I would buy.

James75

Go Kart Champion
James, I agree.

Missing the Golf already. Not had chance to drive the Peugeot 308 yet, due to all the pain killers etc..

First impressions not a car I would buy.

I looked at their hybrid diesel thingy - 3008? Only because you can get a 10k discount on it (I kid you not).

I am wary of french cars, you certainly get the style and they have a something other manufacturers don't have but, the reliability....

I am quite a fan of the new Citroen Cactus - that for me works as something different and quite French.

But you never know - they've just launched the 3008 GT and the GTI version is coming, maybe you will be a convert?

:) :) :)

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
I am quite a fan of the new Citroen Cactus

Noooooooo :D Do you want the phone number for Specsavers :D

Rappy I'm really sorry to hear about the car, but it did its job, kept the driver safe. That's the main thing after all! It is a good testament to how far vehicle safety has come in the last few years. Hope it all gets sorted out soon.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Noooooooo :D Do you want the phone number for Specsavers :D

Rappy I'm really sorry to hear about the car, but it did its job, kept the driver safe. That's the main thing after all! It is a good testament to how far vehicle safety has come in the last few years. Hope it all gets sorted out soon.

It's the sort of car Citroen should be making - you have to agree, i am not saying you have to like it but I want Citroen to be making slightly bonkers cars

James

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
It's the sort of car Citroen should be making - you have to agree, i am not saying you have to like it but I want Citroen to be making slightly bonkers cars

James

Long story short. I very nearly got offered a Cactus. Mmmmmmm

no thank you. Although the bubbles on the door would of been a talking point :eek::eek:

Now back to the important piece of metal. Car is going to be repaired. Not 100% sure how I feel about getting the Golf back. 3 wks is there estimate at the moment.

Watch this space, Rappy.

scientificharmony

Ready to race!
Glad your ok Rappy.
Good ole Good save the day eh? Good to know!
Also , your first impressions are spot on. Its French stay away from Peugeot lol