GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thank God I was in the Golf

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Glad you're ok. In the grand scheme of things cars are fairly low on the list.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
If airbags were deployed, then generally it's an insurance write off (US 'total').

I did that with a Mk4 Golf...

ihmix

Ready to race!
As everyone has said great to hear your pretty much ok and thanks for taking the time to let us know about how well the golf stood up in your accident. You never know how good these vehicles are until they are put in a real life situation. Fingers crossed the insurance sorts everything out for you soon and you are behind the wheel again.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Not good, hope you have a speedy recovery. Winter tyres may well have helped a light Golf evade into side road, but may well not of helped a heavy Shogun stop any quicker. 4x4 momentum is the issue and although winters are good, they are not that capable. Unfortunately 4x4 drivers get lulled into a false sense of security, and in this case possible inexperience doesn't help.

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
Ditto really to what has been said before. Please to hear you have limited injuries and that the cars safety features did their job.

Cars are just metal and can be replaced. No one wants to be in an accident but if it happens you want the best chances of walking away and that’s what I believe the Golf gives us.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys :)

The Golf saved my life. As much as I hate all new car tech. You cant knock the numerous airbags that deployed.

If and its a big IF I was in the Xtrail I may not be here :(. I seriously considered using the X-Trail.

Rappy :(

gogolf1

Ready to race!
Are you saying that the small and light Golf is safer than the X-Trail?
My friend (in his X-trail) had serious collision with the heavy tramway. The Nissan was totaled, but he was 100% OK.

BTW. do you have any pictures, how the car looks after the crash?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The guy that was at fault was only 21 & very inexperienced. The other driver stopped & gave him a load of verbal. He was driving a brand new Mitsubishi Shogun. TBH the Golf held up pretty well. The police had said if the car never had the numerous airbags, I may not be here.

Not a great start to 2015.

Rappy :-(

Car gone or not, be happy you made it alive and thats what really matters, there are million of golfs but only 1 individual.

tom1

Ready to race!
Glad to hear you're ok. The golf has done it's job in protecting you. None of us want to ever find out how "safe" the car is in the event of any crash but so far from the 3 or 4 crashes I've heard of and 2 of them are write off all people have walked away with just minor injury.

They say you get what you pay for, yes the golf can be a bit expensive in comparison to some other cars which I wont name.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
We once got a grandstand view a couple of years ago of a brand new Audi being totaled by an artic pulling out without checking the outside lane and ramming the Audi against the central crash barrier. There were bits flying everywhere but the driver emerged from the wreck of his car in perfect health shouting and swearing at the lorry driver! How modern cars have improved safety wise!

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
It looks like the car is going to repaired at the moment at least.

I will get it confirmed 100% next week, when they start stripping the car down. I have a Peugeot 308 as a hire car. Not that I have driven it yet. Just moved it away from the garage. You dont get the thud as you shut the door with a Golf.

Looking at going back to work next week. Just seen the forecast more snow :-( :-(.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Oh no - terrible news - but pleased to hear you are not seriously hurt mate...