GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't know about the result you mentioned.

My buddy and I decided he should come by before the weather gets too much warmer in the mornings so that we don’t have to put off until colder mornings again in our area. Really, we just wanted to see another human, besides our SOs, so we got the “after” recording today. We were within 2º ambient temp and .05 barometric pressure. Humidity was higher though my friend states it should only make a negligible difference.

He said he will do the audio analysis “In my downtime when I’m blowing off work in the evenings.” and we will see what the PhD has to say out it from an audio analysis standpoint. Stay tuned!

View attachment 171644

That's what I'm talking about. An actual scientific test was being done to determine if Cerma reduced tapping, or if it is a placebo. Looks like the last activity was collecting the "after treatment" recording almost 2 years ago, without the final analysis done unfortunately ☹️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's what I'm talking about. An actual scientific test was being done to determine if Cerma reduced tapping, or if it is a placebo. Looks like the last activity was collecting the "after treatment" recording almost 2 years ago, without the final analysis done unfortunately ☹️
I remember now and that guy never posted any result. I still stand by everything I've said about the treatment however unscientific it is. It definitely nearly eliminates the tapping sound. 3 or 4 other guys bought it and agreed and I didn't read a single post of buyer's remorse. Who was the guy who ended up getting a BMW M4? I bought it for him for his GTI before he got the BMW with the understanding that he would pay me back if it worked and he did pay me back.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So my friend moved away. He did the recording and never processed the audio for me because work and his wedding planing were destroying him. I should ask him if he still has it and if he has time.

He did tell me on a cursory listen to the tape, he felt it was quieter but wanted to further analyze.

I ended up not following up on this thread because the motor on the car failed a leakdown test in cylinder 3 at 37xxx miles about 14 months ago, ~3000 miles after using Cerma… Not saying related. No idea what happened.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I own a calibrated Simpson sound level meter, and would be up for a Cerma challenge with data. I'll pay anyone back if it works.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So my friend moved away. He did the recording and never processed the audio for me because work and his wedding planing were destroying him. I should ask him if he still has it and if he has time.

He did tell me on a cursory listen to the tape, he felt it was quieter but wanted to further analyze.

I ended up not following up on this thread because the motor on the car failed a leakdown test in cylinder 3 at 37xxx miles about 14 months ago, ~3000 miles after using Cerma… Not saying related. No idea what happened.
Thank you for the follow up.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Y'all making me want to do this to see if it'll quiet up the tapping present on cold starts. It seems to go away once it's warmer, but the GTI is my attainable dream car and I've been trying to do everything I can to keep it in good shape.
I’ve been considering this as well but still not sold. Wonder if anyone has sent in a sample to blackstone for analysis?

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Once you go forged pistons they’ll be so loud that you won’t hear any other ticking. 😆

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
UPDATE: Got ahold of my buddy and he did a quick analysis.
He‘s hoping to go more in-depth this weekend as he has a bit of spare time. He will do a full spectral analysis using Python and some other software he has.

Guy is a phd in Spatial Audio and works for Eventide so he won’t give me bad info.

With an cursory look he says the following about the “after” recording:
1. Initial startup is actually about 3-5dB louder and “brighter”
2. Car settles into idle a bit quicker and more gradually.
3. He believes the idle sound might be 2dB quieter once settled to idle speed, but will need to confirm with better analysis.

After reviewing the recordings myself on a nice listening setup (WooAudo WA-8 tube amp and Denon AH-D5000 headphones) I definitely noticed a noticeably louder initial startup and ever so slightly different sounding idle.

Will keep this thread posted and update the original post with findings as I can.