GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me into (or out of) a DSG tune...

shook978

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you driven the Cobb 7spd sport tune? Makes you sound pretty....

Have you driven with APRs tune? I think not..so who are we to compare one with the other... But if I'm going by history I've always been told cobbs tunes (ECU or TCU) are trash!! Until Cobb opens up their TCU tune to tuners I'll stick with APRs

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Have you driven with APRs tune? I think not..so who are we to compare one with the other... But if I'm going by history I've always been told cobbs tunes (ECU or TCU) are trash!! Until Cobb opens up their TCU tune to tuners I'll stick with APRs
Why are you telling people to not use a product you know nothing about that in reality is really good?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So, a small update.

Got the DSG tune, and only have a little of road time with it so far, trying the different maps, etc... But overall, I'm slightly disappointed. The shift points are obviously different, but the shifting itself doesn't feel any different. Doesn't seem any more smooth or quick. People talk it up like it will completely transform the car, and I just don't see it.

From a preventative maintenance perspective, I won't say I regret spending the money. Last thing I want to do is kill my clutch packs by forcing too much power. Plus, seeing the gear indicator is nice. Hopefully with a little more driving, and trying the EQT maps (started just with the Cobb ones), my feeling change a bit more.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
So, a small update.

Got the DSG tune, and only have a little of road time with it so far, trying the different maps, etc... But overall, I'm slightly disappointed. The shift points are obviously different, but the shifting itself doesn't feel any different. Doesn't seem any more smooth or quick. People talk it up like it will completely transform the car, and I just don't see it.

From a preventative maintenance perspective, I won't say I regret spending the money. Last thing I want to do is kill my clutch packs by forcing too much power. Plus, seeing the gear indicator is nice. Hopefully with a little more driving, and trying the EQT maps (started just with the Cobb ones), my feeling change a bit more.
Keep us updated for sure! I have the Cobb AP + EQT Base Tune sitting in my cart and I keep going back and forth about the DSG Tune pack... would be nice to spend only 700 like I originally planned with APR st1

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
You're using the Cobb DSG tune? Are you using the OEM+ or Sport? I thought Sport was better, but it still had a few shortcomings. OEM+ is just like a stock GTI, simply more clamping pressure.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You're using the Cobb DSG tune? Are you using the OEM+ or Sport? I thought Sport was better, but it still had a few shortcomings. OEM+ is just like a stock GTI, simply more clamping pressure.

Started with OEM+ but currently on Sport. Will give that a bit before going EQT.

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I've been using the COBB Sport DSG Tune for about 3 weeks and it's not bad, but I caved today and ordered the EQT DSG tune today and based on what everyone has been saying I am definitely glad I did. Can't wait to install it.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
question about these DSG tunes, are they all just raising the shift point higher in the rev range, is it constantly going to hold a lower gear at higher revs in normal driving in non Sport? Or does it retain the low rev cruise aspect to conserve fuel while smoothening out the power delivery? Getting conflicting info (I guess depending on the TCU tune).

And looking at the power curves relative to stock for APR S1 v2 vs stuff like EQT makes me think while EQT punches harder the v2 APR s1 maybe more ideal for my daily driving habits.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
question about these DSG tunes, are they all just raising the shift point higher in the rev range, is it constantly going to hold a lower gear at higher revs in normal driving in non Sport? Or does it retain the low rev cruise aspect to conserve fuel while smoothening out the power delivery? Getting conflicting info (I guess depending on the TCU tune).

And looking at the power curves relative to stock for APR S1 v2 vs stuff like EQT makes me think while EQT punches harder the v2 APR s1 maybe more ideal for my daily driving habits.

There's some data on this site about the Cobb Sport tune, if you can figure out what it means. lol.
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/02/cobb-sport-dsg-tune/