GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me into (or out of) a DSG tune...

Paxtond1

Go Kart Newbie
Dsg tuning for 7 speed has been released to tuners this week, so we should see some great custom tunes from stratified/Eqt soon

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
question about these DSG tunes, are they all just raising the shift point higher in the rev range, is it constantly going to hold a lower gear at higher revs in normal driving in non Sport? Or does it retain the low rev cruise aspect to conserve fuel while smoothening out the power delivery? Getting conflicting info (I guess depending on the TCU tune).

And looking at the power curves relative to stock for APR S1 v2 vs stuff like EQT makes me think while EQT punches harder the v2 APR s1 maybe more ideal for my daily driving habits.
[/QUOT
The Stratified DSG tune and I'm sure others also shift normally in Drive. It's when decelerating or turning a corner it downshifts much easier. For instance the stock DSG tune when you turn a corner doesn't downshift easily so after you turn and start to accelerate you have to give it so much gas it will drop down 2 gears and then you're going faster than you wanted to. When tuned the trans will drop down into a lower gear without much throttle input.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's room for improvement, but I prefer the Cobb Sport tune over the stock GTI tune.

Anything is better than the stock DSG tune. If you were to get a Stratified or EQT DSG tune you would say the same thing about Cobb's DSG tune. Cobb's gear hunts and shifts at a precise MPH in normal driving and if your speed drops just 1 MPH it will downshift. Stratified and EQT's won't do that.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I got slammed by someone for saying that and recommending APRs TCU tune. Which I think is awesome.
Still rocking that APR TCU tune? I'm on the fence (still stage 1 93, LT) I guess it's no big deal, I can "return it" if I don't like it - I really just want a bit more out of D mode (not crazy - just not so eco friendly) along with the other benefits of added power.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
Just flashed the EQT DSG tune today. Everyday driving is so much better now.

As in it shifts smoother? Does it still let you run efficiently on a highway cruise if you're just driving melo like stock until you put your foot down? or does it always keep revs up higher?
Glad you like it!

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
As in it shifts smoother? Does it still let you run efficiently on a highway cruise if you're just driving melo like stock until you put your foot down? or does it always keep revs up higher?
Glad you like it!

My impressions from first day with the tune. Holds gears a little longer. Smarter about downshifting from 6 to 5 when merging or passing on freeway. Also smart about downshifting to 3 or 4 when decelerating into a ramp. Basically I rarely felt I had to tap the downshift paddle.

2019_GTI_SE

Passed Driver's Ed
After you get the DSG tune you'll wonder why the car didn't come that way even just using the D mode.
Okay, without actually driving a stage 1 tuned GTI, I don't think I can ever imagine what you guys are saying with things like, "should have been like this from factory" or "don't know what I've been missing" or "this is magic".

So, if anyone can explain to me, what Exactly is different? What has changed with this stage 1 tune? The more info, the better.

And are these changes only noticeable when I'm going WOT? Cuz one guy was like, I got a DSG tune and regret it since he couldn't tell the difference.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Your car is a 2014 GLI Jetta. Your comparison does not really count when discussing MK7 Golf DSG, does it? APR didn't alter the clamping pressure at the time you had that tune, which they definitely do on the current MK7 GTI DSG tunes. Therefore, your experience or your video doesn't apply here.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Okay, without actually driving a stage 1 tuned GTI, I don't think I can ever imagine what you guys are saying with things like, "should have been like this from factory" or "don't know what I've been missing" or "this is magic".

So, if anyone can explain to me, what Exactly is different? What has changed with this stage 1 tune? The more info, the better.

And are these changes only noticeable when I'm going WOT? Cuz one guy was like, I got a DSG tune and regret it since he couldn't tell the difference.

In a word, "exaggeration". Like the statement above about the Cobb Sport TCU tune being "terrible" and the stock GTI TCU tune even worse. Worse than terrible? The car in stock form would be undrive-able if it were that bad. Or maybe I've been blissfully ignorant of how bad things are with the DSG transmission. 🤪

The TCU tune changes when the shifting takes place. So if you're pulling away from a stop light giving it a little gas, the stock tune may shift before 2000 rpm and the Cobb Sport tune will be sometime after 2000 rpm. It also changes when shifting down happens as you roll up to the light. Those are the changes I've found noticeable.