GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Camber Plate owners chime in please **noise question**

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I ran 034s on stock suspension, then back to stock mounts, then SuperPros on stock suspension, all within a 45 day period... the difference (on imperfect roads) is obvious. It's not intolerable by any means but it's quite obvious. I would also note that I drive a Golf so stock suspension for me is pretty soft.

I work at an airport and there's only one way to get to our hangar, I drive that same patch of road all the time, I know it well enough to avoid some of its "features" even in the dark. Here in LA taking Laurel Canyon coming from Hollywood there's a transition after the second traffic light when you're coming down the back side of the hill, maybe a 3/4 inch step... you will see the people that drive it often braking before it and the people that don't drive it often braking right after because it is jarring, if you're not paying attention it will scare you... Even with slowing down because I know it's coming there still a different sound with the stock mounts versus either of the camber mounts.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm at a wit's end. Don't know if I should bother to swap in 034 camber mounts I have to see if it makes a difference. I'm also only at -2.1 degrees of camber in the front with my deadset kit which is surprising considering most achieve -2.4/-2.5.

I recall seeing a post on the MK7/MQB Facebook group of someone adding a thin sheet of poly over top of their camber plate, like a gasket - wonder if that's worthwhile to attempt as well.

Not sure that'll help.
It's hit or miss with the 034 camber mounts. Some get clunking and noise, some don't. I get a similar thing as you do over small bumps or drops or when turning going slowly, but when driving normally, they're good. Have had the shop check everything again and everything is tight and installed correctly. I have read about too many issues with suspension mods on this chassis, that I'll just chalk it up to normal, even though it's not.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I tightened the shit out of my strut mounts. Maybe others’ aren’t sitting 100% flush to the strut tower part of the unibody? I agree it’s definitely strange that some experience noise and some don’t.

Not sure about superpro, but 034 has their own torque values for the upper mount bolts that connects to the strut towers. They're not the same as the oem values. Do NOT over tighten them.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Not sure that'll help.
It's hit or miss with the 034 camber mounts. Some get clunking and noise, some don't. I get a similar thing as you do over small bumps or drops or when turning going slowly, but when driving normally, they're good. Have had the shop check everything again and everything is tight and installed correctly. I have read about too many issues with suspension mods on this chassis, that I'll just chalk it up to normal, even though it's not.

Unfortunately you're absolutely right. Suspension work on these cars is a bitch. On my Mk7 gti I took apart the suspension 4 times. And used 3 different setups in trying to figure out how to keep an oem feel while being low. Towards the end before I traded it for my mk7.5 R, I knew I'd never go through that crap again. I knew what compromises to expect when lowering the R and I'm really happy with how it is currently. The setup I'm running isnt for everyone (mss track/swift springs, 034 camber mounts, 18x8.5 wheels with 245/40 tires), but it rides great and there's hardly had any additional nvh over oem. No bottoming out, no rattles, no rubbing, no bullshit AND keeping the oem dcc dampers.

Tldr: there's no replacement for experience in having gone through trial and error. It's an expensive route, but there's really no other way to determine what - you - believe is a good setup on these cars.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
thats why I own this set of tools , custom sockets made by HAZET for KW includes special socket for camber plates

fullsizeoutput_2f8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2fd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ff.jpeg

SpeedyA3

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 2018
Not sure if you guys came across this thread in the other forum:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...xed-camber-mount-noise&p=114004387&viewfull=1

Some of the guys opened up the superpro mounts, and grease the PU with teflon grease...

I have a set of superpro mounts waiting to be mounted with DG springs and really don't welcome any additional noise! My front suspension is already squeaking when going over humps, and will be greasing the superpro ALOY arms as well as front sway bar bushings.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I installed these camber plates in January and I don’t think I’m getting excessive noise. Attached are the latest (?) instructions that I used that include a little more detail about greasing. Hammersticks had to email Superpro for them because our camber plates came with an older set of directions.

Attachments

• BD9696E7-04F9-409A-9E88-0196A40EDF71.jpeg
    BD9696E7-04F9-409A-9E88-0196A40EDF71.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 526

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I installed these camber plates in January and I don’t think I’m getting excessive noise. Attached are the latest (?) instructions that I used that include a little more detail about greasing. Hammersticks had to email Superpro for them because our camber plates came with an older set of directions.
Can you flip me this PDF? I wasn't able to find this installation guide, only the old one that was lacking the updated information and torque specs.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Would like to confirm whether you torque the 3 top bolts to OEM torque spec or if they've listed something different in their guide.

I think we used OEM torque spec because the instructions didn’t say. Hopefully Hammersticks can confirm because he helped me with the install.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hey guys, here it is. Same torque specs. My big question was if I had to open them up to grease as some youtube video had mentioned. Per the guide, no. Also, the picture shows them gooping the grease on. I honestly don't know how effective it is. They are the experts so don't listen to me, but the grease that comes with the kit gets really runny when it's warm. Seems like it would create a mess since the grease is upside-down once installed.

Attachments

• TRC5000IS - REV 1.1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 242

SpeedyA3

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 2018
Not sure if you guys came across this thread in the other forum:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...xed-camber-mount-noise&p=114004387&viewfull=1

Some of the guys opened up the superpro mounts, and grease the PU with teflon grease...

I have a set of superpro mounts waiting to be mounted with DG springs and really don't welcome any additional noise! My front suspension is already squeaking when going over humps, and will be greasing the superpro ALOY arms as well as front sway bar bushings.

Hi guys, just to report back that I have finally installed the Superpro camber mounts with following the new instructions to grease the PU, but still getting soft knocking sounds over uneven roads!

With Hammersticks' revised instructions, I actually took out the PU and greased the PU all over and used loads of teflon grease when installing the shock struts into the Superpro mounts. Also re-lubed the Superpro lower arms' PU bushings at the same time. Followed instructions right to the dot and right torque level for re-installation.

I even added a sheet of pneumatic tire cutout to the top of the strut mount, so that there wouldn't be metal to metal contact. Now, getting soft knocking sounds over uneven roads, which in my area, are everywhere! Sucks...

Re-did alignment and tested over last few days, it's really getting to me...Thinking of re-installing them again. I noticed that the strut bearing has free play when placed into the Superpro strut mounts. Can that be the issue?

Any advice is welcomed!