GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Camber Plate owners chime in please **noise question**

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Just had these professionally installed with ED springs and they make a light clunking noise (front) alongside some bounce on dips. I had this exact same clunk and bounce when I did springs on my CTR but didn't tighten the top strut nut enough. On the CTR I was physically able to move the wheel up and down to imitate the clunking but on the Golf R I can't so i'm assuming everything is tightened to spec. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Attachments

• 95778326_2300997483540691_8654235646900043776_n.jpg
    95778326_2300997483540691_8654235646900043776_n.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
mine do not make a clunking sound. What suspension are you on? Stock?

ED Springs. I just got back from a short run and oddly enough it only does it when i'm backing out of my garage with the dip in comfort and normal mode. Drove spiritedly around on some uneven roads and the noise is here and there but it's very faint. I can live with it but just wanted to check in with other owners.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I had a very light, but livable, clunking sound over speed bumps when I was running them. Can't say I ever noticed any clunk while driving though. I ran them on stock suspension and with B8s/H&R Sports. I eventually stopped running them because of noise when turning, especially at low speeds. Car sounded like an an old boat, haha.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Front only
I’ve only done the front suspension on our cars 3x, so I’m not an expert, but the nut looks like it’s screwed on enough, thread wise. Hard to tell without being able to torque it. Only thing I can thing of would be the bearing, spring, and strut might not be seated perfectly. Someone else might have had the same issue, I hope they can be of more help.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No clunking on mine, but I didn’t lube the driver’s side one enough, so I get the poly on metal squeak...
Shop that installed mine didn't lube them at all. I took it back to them 2 days after I picked it up because the creaking/squeaking was ridiculous. They had the car for a month (working it into their schedule, and I was in no rush, have my old car to drive and wanted it fixed). After dropping the suspension several times - so they say - they could find nothing wrong but claimed they weren't sure if these mounts were meant for my car o_O. Then proceeded to charge me ~$400 for their unfruitful troubleshooting labor. I took the car home, pissed off. Dropped the suspension myself, took the mounts apart and greased the snot out of them. Noise went away for 3-4 weeks... when the noise came back I took them off, not worth the trouble for my daily driven TDI lol.

JVang, that thread protrusion looks similar to what I remember for mine. If putting your car in R mode kills the noise when coming out of the driveway it sounds like the issue is suspension travel related. I'm assuming R mode would greatly reduce, if not completely remove, suspension travel at driveway speed. Do you know if the shop torqued the suspension with it loaded? That can certainly cause some noises.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Shop that installed mine didn't lube them at all. I took it back to them 2 days after I picked it up because the creaking/squeaking was ridiculous. They had the car for a month (working it into their schedule, and I was in no rush, have my old car to drive and wanted it fixed). After dropping the suspension several times - so they say - they could find nothing wrong but claimed they weren't sure if these mounts were meant for my car o_O. Then proceeded to charge me ~$400 for their unfruitful troubleshooting labor. I took the car home, pissed off. Dropped the suspension myself, took the mounts apart and greased the snot out of them. Noise went away for 3-4 weeks... when the noise came back I took them off, not worth the trouble for my daily driven TDI lol.
How frustrating! I did mine myself, so only I’m to blame. Shoulda known I could never go wrong with more lube:sneaky:. Luckily it’s only the driver side, and only in the last half of wheel travel when I’m turn the wheel left. It’s livable, for now. Not worth taking strut back off and getting new alignment... live and learn

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R

JVang, that thread protrusion looks similar to what I remember for mine. If putting your car in R mode kills the noise when coming out of the driveway it sounds like the issue is suspension travel related. I'm assuming R mode would greatly reduce, if not completely remove, suspension travel at driveway speed. Do you know if the shop torqued the suspension with it loaded? That can certainly cause some noises.

Yikes. He took an impact wrench to the top nut while the strut assembly was off. No idea for the rest but everything else was installed before wheels were back on and lowered down.

Edit

Still does it in R mode. Just quieter.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The Superpro Top Mounts I’m using have been quiet. 6 months now after the install having used factory springs and dampers and Superpro LCA’s and FSB End Links, it’s still running quiet.

If temperatures dip below 60 degrees outside I will get a little clatter (barely noticeable) coming from either the FSB end link spherical ball joint or the top hat itself (haven’t been able to pinpoint it yet), but it’s rare since I live in South Florida- and once the car warms up the slight clatter goes away.

Last edited:

rcb020

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread is concerning, I was hoping to use this in the near future as they have been advertised as no noise compared to traditional adjustable camber plates. Looks like I may be getting Eurosport street camber kit instead...

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This thread is concerning, I was hoping to use this in the near future as they have been advertised as no noise compared to traditional adjustable camber plates. Looks like I may be getting Eurosport street camber kit instead...
On my car they run quiet. I only mentioned the slight noise (which is a rarity) above in full disclosure. I'm really happy with them as they transmit factory-like NVH. Along with the LCA set the car is at -2 deg camber up front on factory springs and dampers and the steering dynamics are much improved.