GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supermoto's GTI Wrap Progress Log

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’ll be interested to see how your front turns out!!

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Got the other quarter panel done. I realized I havent been giving timeframes for how long each thing has taken. The hood took about 2 hours, the right quarter panel took another 2 hours, the left quarter panel took about 30 minutes. The majority of time is working out the wrinkles and getting it clean, and the more I do it the faster I am able to accomplish that. Cutting the edges is another thing that I used to suck at but now I can get really clean even edges with as much overhang as I want. Biggest tip is to ALWAYS use a fresh blade. I used to be a cheap ass and try to make a blade last all day, but now I break off a new blade every half hour and my cuts have never been better. The super pointy corners near the headlight are tricky though and I still dont quite know how to handle them, but I just leave a bit extra vinyl and heat it up then tuck it in and hold it till it cools. Shouldn't go anywhere, you can even put a dot of superglue on it in you are concerned about it coming apart.

Some notes about these panels:
- be sure to leave a few inches of overhang vinyl inside the wheel arch so you can wrap it up around and cut along the metal edge.
- the small quarter window trim is more plyable than it looks, use a trim tool to lift it and tuck the vinyl underneath
- start from the back and work your way forward toward the headlight, then down toward the rocker
- get a cheap space heater, its a life saver and as far as im concerned its a must have for an easier job

1647067517926.png

1647067529088.png

1647067559923.png

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I cant Get over that color though / the blue is 🔥

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Looks similar to the 3M Satin Perfect Blue that @murph3699's car is wrapped in.

1647104124778.png

It is indeed 🔥 (both of them).

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I cant Get over that color though / the blue is 🔥

Looks similar to the 3M Satin Perfect Blue that @murph3699's car is wrapped in.

View attachment 242176

It is indeed 🔥 (both of them).

that’s gotta be the same color unless my eyes are playing games lol

That's the first pic I've seen that gives me an idea of how the finished car will look. Only difference is his is rather glossy while mines matte. But it definitely does look 🔥

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Okay so today I am working on the front bumper. How the hell did you get all the black trim pieces off? The clips are absolutely brutal and I can't get them seperated without breaking something or deforming the bumper.
I didn’t fuss with all the clips. I wrapped the bumper with everything in place and cut as close as possible.
The front bumper is by far the hardest part, took me a few try’s to get it with an extra set of hands. I think when I re wrap I would place bumper on car loose with a couple clips holding on, work the wrap starting from middle out. Then when wrapping around the curves take bumper off and secure to saw horse or something and stretch around headlight area.
Stick with it man, the reward of your hard work will pay off.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I didn’t fuss with all the clips. I wrapped the bumper with everything in place and cut as close as possible.
The front bumper is by far the hardest part, took me a few try’s to get it with an extra set of hands. I think when I re wrap I would place bumper on car loose with a couple clips holding on, work the wrap starting from middle out. Then when wrapping around the curves take bumper off and secure to saw horse or something and stretch around headlight area.
Stick with it man, the reward of your hard work will pay off.
I considered leaving everything in place, but as a new wrapper I figured trying to get around all those trim pieces will only make it more difficult. By the time I was half way through getting the clips out I realized I should probably have just left it all alone, but by that point I was in too deep and just kept going 😂

My plan to wrap the front is pretty much what you said: clip the naked bumper back onto the car and get the majority of it done then do the ends off the car. I'm excited to see if I can pull it off.

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Great color, I did my 911 in a Avery satin blue. Definitely consider ceramic coating after. Noticeable difference in cleaning my wrapped ceramic coated car vs non ceramic coated wrapped car.
FE5AE068-2DB5-4028-A821-6FA25FA80333.jpeg

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Today was supposed to be front bumper wrap day, but instead I spent 5 hours taking the bumper apart. The fact that the car is only a year old doesn't help, everythings brand new and tight. The advice of @gixxerfool and @StorableComa saved my life and my sanity. A bit of heat combined with a credit card piece in each clip gave me just enough advantage to get it all apart.

Took some pics of how it all looks put together so I can get it back in the right order:
1647143536093.png

1647143552013.png

1647143568555.png

1647143587646.png

1647143609960.png

1647143622767.png

1647143636902.png

1647143652082.png

Bumper on the car ready to wrap. Unfortunately didn't get any further than this today, my back is killing me and my hands are all torn up from that damn bumper. But the hardest part (imo) is done and now it just needs to be wrapped.

Stuck the badge on the driver side quarter panel:
1647143800667.png

I've decided that I am going to redo the passenger side quarter panel after seeing how clean I can get it on the driver side. For something thats gonna be on the car for years its worth getting it right. I will be also ordering some ceramic coating thanks to @a$ap 's suggestion. Maybe it will even add a bit more depth to the new color!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Today was supposed to be front bumper wrap day, but instead I spent 5 hours taking the bumper apart. The fact that the car is only a year old doesn't help, everythings brand new and tight. The advice of @gixxerfool and @StorableComa saved my life and my sanity. A bit of heat combined with a credit card piece in each clip gave me just enough advantage to get it all apart.

Took some pics of how it all looks put together so I can get it back in the right order:
View attachment 242252
View attachment 242253
View attachment 242254
View attachment 242255
View attachment 242256
View attachment 242257
View attachment 242258
View attachment 242259

Bumper on the car ready to wrap. Unfortunately didn't get any further than this today, my back is killing me and my hands are all torn up from that damn bumper. But the hardest part (imo) is done and now it just needs to be wrapped.

Stuck the badge on the driver side quarter panel:
View attachment 242260

I've decided that I am going to redo the passenger side quarter panel after seeing how clean I can get it on the driver side. For something thats gonna be on the car for years its worth getting it right. I will be also ordering some ceramic coating thanks to @a$ap 's suggestion. Maybe it will even add a bit more depth to the new color!
Glad to see you got it done. I will have my own to do in a few months, new bumper, not a wrap. So I know what I’m in for.

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I bet it is frustrating, but it will be well worth it. And now we all see why the labor is so high on a wrap. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished GOLF R.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
What a day. Wrapping bumpers is not fun 😂 messed up twice and got it on the third try, but it isn't perfect. Getting the indentation above the fog lights was not fun, but I think I got the hang of it. I decided to do it in a few pieces and hide the seams to save my sanity. Also makes each section way easier to work with.

1647227499483.png

1647227533478.png

1647227564275.png

I'd consider this to be the hardest part until the rear bumper, but at least I don't have to remove a million clips beforehand. I have some more vinyl on the way as well, on account of messing up and wasting 10ft of vinyl. My back hurts.