GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supermoto's GTI Wrap Progress Log

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This would be one of the things that I would like to do in this world, the least. Respect man. I would lose my mind attempting this.
This!!! I wrapped one piece of interior trim, POORLY, after getting what I thought were absurd quotes from some local shops to have it done. I was about to murder someone. I was walking cooldown laps around the kitchen table for half the time spent. In hindsight the quotes were significantly less than I would charge someone if they were going to pay me to wrap something.

To @Supermoto and anyone else in this wrapping game... 🙇‍♂️ and Godspeed. That blue looks great btw.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This!!! I wrapped one piece of interior trim, POORLY, after getting what I thought were absurd quotes from some local shops to have it done. I was about to murder someone. I was walking cooldown laps around the kitchen table for half the time spent. In hindsight the quotes were significantly less than I would charge someone if they were going to pay me to wrap something.

To @Supermoto and anyone else in this wrapping game... 🙇‍♂️ and Godspeed. That blue looks great btw.

I consider myself lucky I know a guy where I can get it done for ~$1,400...

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Nice job on the hood , I’m considering taking the fog light covers off and trying those
Appreciate it!

I consider myself lucky I know a guy where I can get it done for ~$1,400...
I was getting quotes between $1500 and $3000 for a wrap job. I'm a college student so I cant really shell out that much on something so needless. But $300 for the material is something I can manage :ROFLMAO:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
When doing a vinyl wrap and showing it in images online, it's easy to think it was done perfectly as you can't really see the blemishes and mistakes. For the hood there's a few spots like this that have some kinda debris under the wrap. Not a big deal but it taught me to sweep and clean up a bit before wrapping something.

1646902660296.png

Furthermore here's a look at how I do the door handles. I started by doing an inlay for the center portion right up to where it starts curving. I use 3M knifeless tape to create the path that will be cut, makes for a much easier job. After the first two handles I changed technique and could easily do them one piece now, but I figured if these fail I'll redo it one piece next time.

1646902814700.png

1646902845795.png

1646902875799.png

I'm also still figuring out how to get it nice and smooth once you wrap around the corner and cut it. It's all hidden after the fact, but the better that job is done the less the chance of it coming up later. As of now the door handles are all done as is the hood. Tomorrow is quarter panel time.

Last edited:

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Man, it seems you're doing a pretty good job so far (y) Can't wait to see the finished product.

I would love to do mine but it's a daily driver and I don't really want to drive around with a half wrapped car lol.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Great job, looking forward to seeing your progress. I would love to attempt this but I do NOT have the patience and it seems like thats most important.

WhiteRabbit_MK7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI MK7.5
Got the hood done today. I really wish I had an overhead heater or somethin like the pros, it would make it way easier to glass the vinyl in one go. My garage stays pretty cold and the vinyl is rather difficult to manipulate without constantly warming it up. The color is a bit darker than I was going for but it should look good in the sun.

View attachment 241825
broooooooo that color is dope !!!!!!

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Huge respect for this. Smart to put in the sequential turn signals when the mirror caps were off. Maybe I’ll experiment with wrapping when I retire. 😎

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Big day today taking the entire front of the car apart. None of it was particularly tricky to get apart, just make sure you unclip as many clips as you can with a tool to prevent breaking them. Don't forget the fog lights and sensor plug before you yank the bumper off! Removing the headlights was way easier than expected as well.

1646966380486.png

1646966388574.png

One thing that I noticed about the pro shops is they have these big ass heaters that can heat a large section of vinyl at once, making it way easier to glass out in one go. I found a space heater laying in the mud in a canyon one rainy day, so I fixed it up and it seems to work. Its the most sketchy piece of garbage I've ever plugged into my wall, but if it can heat my vinyl its a friend to me.

1646966353493.png

Cut the vinyl for the quarter panel, my measurements were 36 x 43 inches. The vinyl is 5ft long so the chunk I cut was 36 x 60 inches. Idk if there was a more efficient way to do it, but thats what you pay the pros for.

1646966564021.png

Wrapping it was a bit tricky, its the first car panel I've ever done. I made a few mistakes which I will list below, but for now heres some pics.
1646966664617.png

1646966684423.png

Heres the 3 mistakes I made and have learned from:
1. I cut the vinyl along the wheel arch with about 1/4 inch overhang, then realized afterwards that I could have just wrapped all the way in as the fender rolls around inward and theres a perfect line to cut along. Furthermore, the 1/4 inch overhang was not enough to cover the lower section that actually shows once assembled, so I had to put another piece there to cover it. The seam is almost invisible though thanks to the knifeless tape.
2. I started at the headlight side and worked my way back. In hindsight that made no sense at all as it made it very difficult to work the wrinkles out of the large rear section of material.
3. Along the top near the hood I heated and stretched with my fingertips instead of a flat hand, causing 3 lighter colored finger-tip-sized marks in the vinyl. Its only visible in certain lighting, and I figured if my cars ever stolen and they need proof its mine my fingerprints are right there. I also managed to get a bit of debris in there as well.

1646966963432.png

Overall I would give this panel a 7/10 from up close, but from 5+ feet away it looks perfect. This is why I started with the passenger side; work the bugs out and make some mistakes, then do the driver side perfectly. Thats the one I look at every day afterall :ROFLMAO:

Cant forget the badge. Removal was rediculously easy. Heated the badge a bit and used some fishing line along the back of the badge (not against the paint) and just sawed back and forth till it was off. Goo-Gone removed all residue within a few minutes. The tape I used for remounting was this 3M Automotive tape. Theres a lot of them that look the same but the thickness of the tape varies, the ones from walmart and such are 1+mm thick and make the badge look like its floating. The one I linked is half a millimeter thin and looks great. As far as positioning the badge its pretty easy due to the body line. I have an eye for this stuff though so I just winged it.
1646967111804.png

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I wish I could like this post 100x. 😎

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Good luck. I wrapped my GTI myself. Just need a lot of patience and time. Plenty of info on YouTube. As for the weather stripping I tucked the vinyl underneath, didn’t want to risk breaking anything there.
Okay so today I am working on the front bumper. How the hell did you get all the black trim pieces off? The clips are absolutely brutal and I can't get them seperated without breaking something or deforming the bumper.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Okay so today I am working on the front bumper. How the hell did you get all the black trim pieces off? The clips are absolutely brutal and I can't get them seperated without breaking something or deforming the bumper.
I don’t know what they look like, but if it was like separating the grill parts, I found using old credit card like items cut up and stuffing them between the clips to keep them spread until you have them all in there you can pull it out as one piece.
A5C09036-C727-4B08-86FA-FBB76BC72AB6.jpeg

like this.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I don’t know what they look like, but if it was like separating the grill parts, I found using old credit card like items cut up and stuffing them between the clips to keep them spread until you have them all in there you can pull it out as one piece.View attachment 242070

like this.
I have a stockpile of old credit cards, this is a great idea. I'm going to give it my best shot. This front bumper disassembly is easily the most frustrating thing I've done to a car, and I completely gutted a Miata and installed sound deadening material on every square inch of the shell.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have a stockpile of old credit cards, this is a great idea. I'm going to give it my best shot. This front bumper disassembly is easily the most frustrating thing I've done to a car, and I completely gutted a Miata and installed sound deadening material on every square inch of the shell.
It’s a test of patience for sure. I will be in a similar boat soon enough. Sometimes you can get good enough you use the CC to spread the clip and cut off the excess. This way you’re not fumbling with a separate tool, holding the bumper still and trying to slide the CC in all at the same time.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Heat also helps soften them up. If you've got a heat gun just warm them up lightly before trying to remove. Don't melt them now.🤣

They were a pain when I retrofitted fog lights on my GSW. Have some plastic epoxy on hand incase you do break anything. I used trim tools. Did end up breaking one of the frames sadly putting pressure on the wrong spot when pulling them off. Jb weld and no issues since, can only tell its repaired from the inside of the bumper.