GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supermoto's GTI Wrap Progress Log

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Finally decided to start wrapping my car. Was doing to wrap my 2015 but it had some issues and I sold it for a great deal. My (new to me) 2019 Autobahn is going to be staying with me for quite a while, so it gets some upgrades. Wheels and a wrap are what the doctor ordered, and the wheels have been done. After calling around for a place to wrap my car, they all wanted between $1500 and $3000 which I cant justify spending for something that I might be able to learn to do myself. This is probably going to be spread out over a few weeks, I wanted to make this thread as I couldn't really find a start to finish progress thread of someone wrapping a MK7. I will be posting my struggles and failures as well as my successes for all to learn from down the road. My experience with wrapping stuff is a few tail lights and a hood, and it was a pain in the ass back then. But I am (hopefully) a more patient man now, so lets get this done. Before starting anything the entire car was washed thoroughly with dish soap/car soap/degreaser to really strip off any waxes or contaminiants. Then I clayed the entire car and gave it a thorough polish.

My plan for wrapping the car is to have the roof, spoiler, mirror caps, and door handles in Vvivid+ Ultra Gloss Piano Black, the rest of the car will be in Vvivid+ Matte Metallic Ghost Blue. Will also be tinting the tail lights slightly.

First is the mirror caps, they seem easy enough. Also swapped in some aliexpress dynamic blinkers, they look awesome.
1646710380053.png

1646710391085.png

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Also knocked out the spoiler. I had to redo it, the first time around I didnt tuck the vinyl in close enough to the black trim pieces and when I cut the vinyl there was a lot of white paint showing. The second time around I made sure to really get it tucked in there and it turned out great.

1646711171448.png

1646711187200.png

1646711191706.png

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Sick! How did you do the mirrors so clean? Mine have lots of wrinkles at the vertex
For parts like that and the door handles which I should get done today, I stick one end of the vinyl to my desk and the other end to a dowel rod. I pull it taught and heat it to make it soft and malleable, then I bring the part to be wrapped up from underneath and push it into the vinyl. It almost shrink wraps around the part, then I just fix the little things by hand after.

For the door handles I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do them in one piece or if they will need an inlay, we will find out soon enough!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Subscribed. I've never tried anything like this curious to see what the learning curve will be like for you.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Alright so my first request for assistance has come. I have read the front quarter windows can be removed from the inside via some bolts. Anyone have any advice for getting to these bolts? I don't want to start tugging trim pieces and break something. Furthermore, how do you remove the rubber weather stripping along the bottom of each window? I've read they just pull up but I attempted that and bent one 😂

On a better note, learning how to wrap door handles is a bitch. Got two done so far and took a break to wrap the tail lights:

1646790408509.png

1646790426734.png

1646790435765.png

Last edited:

Gray_Panther

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Another win for 2 doors over 4 doors!

thanks for the tips for the mirrors. I am going to try again when the weather warms up again.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Following this for sure - i have Wrapped my wheels and that’s where i have stopped for now -

great work 👍🏻

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
following this as i might attempt it myself ..... what did u wrap the tail lights with my guy ?
For the tail lights I used Vvivid Smoke Black wrap. In the past I used some off brand ebay wrap and it was a massive pain installing it. It also aged horribly and came off like pieces of burnt toast crumbling in your fingers. Unfortunately it left all the adhesive behind as well. This Vvivid stuff goes on and comes off easy as hell. Only downside is up close it has a hexagonal pattern due to the air release tech in the adhesive.

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Good luck. I wrapped my GTI myself. Just need a lot of patience and time. Plenty of info on YouTube. As for the weather stripping I tucked the vinyl underneath, didn’t want to risk breaking anything there.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Got the hood done today. I really wish I had an overhead heater or somethin like the pros, it would make it way easier to glass the vinyl in one go. My garage stays pretty cold and the vinyl is rather difficult to manipulate without constantly warming it up. The color is a bit darker than I was going for but it should look good in the sun.

1646881751616.png

Last edited:

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Nice job on the hood , I’m considering taking the fog light covers off and trying those