GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stuck bolt in DV, how screwed am I?

NotASpy

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
I was wondering why I was having power issues near the top of the powerband, I replaced plugs and coils thinking it would solve the issue. When I inspected my DV I thought a bolt was missing, but in reality the head just broke off. As you can see in the picture the left most bolt still has threading in there. I am replacing the DV to rev J as one of the thread holes has cracked on the DV itself, it seems I definitely overtightened things here. I play on going to the newest revision and try to find the correct torque with a brand new set of bolts. The only obstacle being those threads that are stuck, taking a look at the picture what are my best options here? Id prefer not to have to get the drill out, anyone think something like this (https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-spline-screw-extractor-set-15-piece-59194.html) could work? I know I am a dumbass but please help me, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 64

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Make sure you plug turbo up so you don’t get and shavings in it when you’re trying to extract the stud. I typically use clean microfiber rags.

Give yourself as much room as you can to work with. If you have a center punch that may be helpful and start with the smallest extractor. Once you get the broken stud out make sure you can thread a new cap screw in before you put the DV back on.

NotASpy

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
Make sure you plug turbo up so you don’t get and shavings in it when you’re trying to extract the stud. I typically use clean microfiber rags.

Give yourself as much room as you can to work with. If you have a center punch that may be helpful and start with the smallest extractor. Once you get the broken stud out make sure you can thread a new cap screw in before you put the DV back on.
Thanks! Do you think I can just use a center punch and try to get the threads to catch with the extractor bit? Or do I need to bust out a drill to create a hole the bit can dig into.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
First thing I would do is make a good punch mark in the center of the bolt. Spray with PB Blaster and soak overnight. Try extracting it just using a sharpened punch pin
small hammer to unscrew it. That's doubtful because looks like aluminum body and steel screw but worth a shot. If that doesn't work you'll have to use extractors. I would mark center first so when you get to the extractor stage you haven't buggered up the bolt too much because when drilling for extractor center of bolt is important

NotASpy

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
First thing I would do is make a good punch mark in the center of the bolt. Spray with PB Blaster and soak overnight. Try extracting it just using a sharpened punch pin
small hammer to unscrew it. That's doubtful because looks like aluminum body and steel screw but worth a shot. If that doesn't work you'll have to use extractors. I would mark center first so when you get to the extractor stage you haven't buggered up the bolt too much because when drilling for extractor center of bolt is important
Sorry for the repeat question but will a drill be needed in the extractor stage? Or will a center punch be enough for the bit to grip onto? I just really don't want to mess this up lol.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Worst case that looks about 3 shop hours worth of work for a mechanic. I would watch a youtube video and decide if I felt comfortable doing the work or not. At least it's the turbo and not a sparkplug or something.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The turbo is going to have to come out to get a clean good angle on that. If you can do it with turbo in the car youll need a super compact possible 90 angle drill

NotASpy

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
I was able to get it out! I bought this expensive bit extractor set that needed to be hammered in, wasn't able to get enough force on it to get it to bite. A smart man would've removed their battery for more operating room. A lucky man buys this from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M2-Steel-Screw-Extractor-Set-4-Piece-49-57-9001/325254980, and was able to get it out easily. I didn't have an exact replacement bolt handy so I used one that came with a DV spacer that's collecting dust, with the help of 3x 6mm nuts I was able to get a snug fit at 7nm. Soon my revision J will arrive with 3 brand new bolts.

Just took her for a rip with the current setup and it solved my power cut at ~6k RPM. Now she pulls and pulls and pulls.

Attachments

• IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7267.jpg
    IMG_7267.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 49

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I was able to get it out! I bought this expensive bit extractor set that needed to be hammered in, wasn't able to get enough force on it to get it to bite. A smart man would've removed their battery for more operating room. A lucky man buys this from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M2-Steel-Screw-Extractor-Set-4-Piece-49-57-9001/325254980, and was able to get it out easily. I didn't have an exact replacement bolt handy so I used one that came with a DV spacer that's collecting dust, with the help of 3x 6mm nuts I was able to get a snug fit at 7nm. Soon my revision J will arrive with 3 brand new bolts.

Just took her for a rip with the current setup and it solved my power cut at ~6k RPM. Now she pulls and pulls and pulls.
good work, I bet you're glad that shit is over.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I was wondering why I was having power issues near the top of the powerband, I replaced plugs and coils thinking it would solve the issue. When I inspected my DV I thought a bolt was missing, but in reality the head just broke off. As you can see in the picture the left most bolt still has threading in there. I am replacing the DV to rev J as one of the thread holes has cracked on the DV itself, it seems I definitely overtightened things here. I play on going to the newest revision and try to find the correct torque with a brand new set of bolts. The only obstacle being those threads that are stuck, taking a look at the picture what are my best options here? Id prefer not to have to get the drill out, anyone think something like this (https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-spline-screw-extractor-set-15-piece-59194.html) could work? I know I am a dumbass but please help me, thanks!
I'm surprised nobody has told you already. You don't need to torque down those bolts. Just hand tighten them as much as you can with your ratchet or whatever tool you use.