GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

bfury5

Autocross Champion
So for a primarily street driven car that does double duty, would Ohlins be a better choice for overall ride comfort than the BC redshifts, while not giving up too much performance? Trying to decide if that extra grand is worth it for the Ohlins..
The most uncomfortable part of the BC/Redshift kit is the camber plates, that's where most of the harness is from. That's probably going to be common across camber plates though (some might be less noisy than other, but you'll never get rid of the metal-metal harshness). I believe the Ohlins also have a bit more travel than the Redshift kit since they aren't height adjustable (which takes away from damper stroke). That does a lot for comfort in big dips.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I don't think you are giving up any performance going with the Ohlins.

The other thing to consider is that you will need to source a front top mount with the Ohlins, so factor in another $500. I would not run expensive shocks through the OEM mounting system, but you could if you had to.

The most uncomfortable part of the BC/Redshift kit is the camber plates, that's where most of the harness is from. That's probably going to be common across camber plates though (some might be less noisy than other, but you'll never get rid of the metal-metal harshness). I believe the Ohlins also have a bit more travel than the Redshift kit since they aren't height adjustable (which takes away from damper stroke). That does a lot for comfort in big dips.

I was planning on sticking with OEM (new) top mounts, possibly with the eurosport camber kit. I'm getting my extra negative camber from my (not stu legal) CSS knuckles. Trying to keep things reasonably comfy for my 3 year old to ride around in the car without giving up too much in the way of performance - it's a delicate balance to be sure!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I was planning on sticking with OEM (new) top mounts, possibly with the eurosport camber kit. I'm getting my extra negative camber from my (not stu legal) CSS knuckles. Trying to keep things reasonably comfy for my 3 year old to ride around in the car without giving up too much in the way of performance - it's a delicate balance to be sure!
I don't think metal front mounts make much of a difference.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I don't think metal front mounts make much of a difference.
I heard lots of complaints about clunking camber plates when I was considering options for getting more negative camber, which pushed me towards the CSS knuckles and the Eurosport pucks instead. If I'm horribly mistaken maybe I'll sell the knuckles for a profit and put that towards some Ohlins :)

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There was that one guy, I don't remember his user name, that swore up and down that the GC camber plates he had were trash.

I'm sure his experience was real, but it's not representative of the entire user population. I've had no noise, no issues.

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
To add to the coilover testing; I'll be breaking in a new set of Fortune Auto 510s this weekend. These do suffer from what I believe to be a camber plate clunk. I've tried everything to isolate the noise and that's the only thing I haven't changed. Might try installing the OE top hat later to see if that is indeed the case.
Bought these mainly because they are a local company to me and they offer a bespoke setup similar to Redshift.

Also running staggered 255/40 225/45 17s. Always loved the idea in theory so why not put it on tarmac. Plus no worries on fuel filler neck.

I'll do my best to report my findings on Monday.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
My GC plates are quiet/no different than OEM on asphalt. It's definitely louder on concrete streets/highway and much harsher over expansion joints. As where I'm at, its almost all asphalt, so for me it isn't noticeable/different from oem most of the time. YMMV, but I'm happy with them.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I heard lots of complaints about clunking camber plates when I was considering options for getting more negative camber, which pushed me towards the CSS knuckles and the Eurosport pucks instead. If I'm horribly mistaken maybe I'll sell the knuckles for a profit and put that towards some Ohlins :)
Nothing wrong with an OEM-style ride/camber upgrades. Eurosport+CSS knuckles are an excellent option.

I'm happy with my GC plates, but they DO add some NVH in certain situations, don't let anyone tell you they don't, but you might be surprised how little NVH it adds in most situations.

As for BCR vs Ohlins, BCR do offer a digressive valve which mimics/similar to the function of the Ohlins R&T valve. BCR are a budget option, but they are a good budget option, they aren't bounce-tastic ebay blue-light special coilovers. I know a few people locally they love their BCR's.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
To add to the coilover testing; I'll be breaking in a new set of Fortune Auto 510s this weekend. These do suffer from what I believe to be a camber plate clunk. I've tried everything to isolate the noise and that's the only thing I haven't changed. Might try installing the OE top hat later to see if that is indeed the case.
Bought these mainly because they are a local company to me and they offer a bespoke setup similar to Redshift.

Also running staggered 255/40 225/45 17s. Always loved the idea in theory so why not put it on tarmac. Plus no worries on fuel filler neck.

I'll do my best to report my findings on Monday.
What sort of rates / alignment are you running with that stagger?

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
What sort of rates / alignment are you running with that stagger?
F: 550 R: 450
front camber at 3 deg., rear at 1.6 with toe zeroed out

My idea of this build was to make it split between autocross and daily use. We'll see if it stays that way as the season gets going.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
F: 550 R: 450
front camber at 3 deg., rear at 1.6 with toe zeroed out

My idea of this build was to make it split between autocross and daily use. We'll see if it stays that way as the season gets going.
What kind of surface do you race on?

If it’s asphalt then you may be okay, but that’s probably not enough rear spring or rear toe-out to work on concrete.

Do you have 17inch wheels to daily on? If so a softer sidewall makes a big difference in daily ride comfort.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Negative toe is toe out. This is with BC top hats and an offset bushing.

Attachments

• BC + offset alignment.png
    BC + offset alignment.png
    727.3 KB · Views: 76

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
What kind of surface do you race on?

If it’s asphalt then you may be okay, but that’s probably not enough rear spring or rear toe-out to work on concrete.

Do you have 17inch wheels to daily on? If so a softer sidewall makes a big difference in daily ride comfort.

I've always preferred more neutrally balanced cars, but I think you're right that I may have gone too soft on the rears.

Fortune Auto claims you can go +2kg/mm without a revalve. If I need any more than that I can just drive over to them and have them revalve them in a couple days.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow. The event is on medium to smooth asphalt.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What's your ride height? Looks like those offset bushings are good for .2-.3deg in the front
I'm not very low. I think I was song for about 25.5" from the ground to the fender. I just want to get close and see what happens.