GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
As @Rmcnelly said I logged his car at an event last year (was trying to figure out why he lacked power towards the end of the course... his DSG was not downshifting to 2nd and stayed in 3rd was the answer).

You can see how his IATs never even came close to reasonable temperatures.

With an aftermarket tune, there's no telling at what temps they have it set to start pulling timing, but on a STOCK tune, anything over 86F IATs is where timing starts getting pulled. If Rick's tune didn't have these tables touched, it was pulling 5 to 7 degrees of timing at any given point in that run.
Those IATs are incredibly high. This particular track is also about 20 seconds longer than the longest track we have at our local place. With 3-5 minutes typically at least between runs I'm not sure how often I'll run into something quite so extreme.

I've already waffled on the FSB/RSB setup. I ordered the wrong kit and thankfully got it cancelled before it shipped but it led me to reconsider if I would even want them or not.
Our local lot is WAAAY flatter and smoother than the video you posted. I mean the lot is 5 years old or less if I had to guess. This was posted in 2018 and the lot (is now on the left side) still wasn't put down.

The lot in Cincy is significantly older. I suspect is pre-dates even me
The surface is extremely loose and rough. But the courses were easily over a minute. At least the ones I ran.

All that said I still can't decide on if I should do Sway Bars or not and even still which end links. I know a CC, front bushing at least are still on the table and these things add up fast.

I did just find the Mishimoto IC on amazon for $767.. gah. I should probably do the sways and IC and be done with it.

IIRC a FMIC isn't STH legal right? Because it would require some amount of cutting to make the hoses fit?

I orders the correct Super Pro kit and the BMS IC. Now to find endlinks.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
IIRC a FMIC isn't STH legal right? Because it would require some amount of cutting to make the hoses fit?
You don’t typically need to cut anything for the popular FMIC installs. So as far as I can tell, it is legal if you don’t remove any plastic parts/trim. However, that’s likely impossible because of where the IC hoses need to be routed in the front. Almost surely, at a minimum, you’ll have to remove the plastics pieces that channel air at the front of the bumper behind the lower grille.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
You don’t typically need to cut anything for the popular FMIC installs. So as far as I can tell, it is legal if you don’t remove any plastic parts/trim. However, that’s likely impossible because of where the IC hoses need to be routed in the front. Almost surely, at a minimum, you’ll have to remove the plastics pieces that channel air at the front of the bumper behind the lower grille.
That's how I was reading it too. I think because of the air channel pieces it's a no go for STH.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That's how I was reading it too. I think because of the air channel pieces it's a no go for STH.
Locally, I’d be surprised if someone protested, but I don’t know what your group is like and if you have sticklers. It’s not like it’s an advantage over a stock mount location (legal).

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Locally, I’d be surprised if someone protested, but I don’t know what your group is like and if you have sticklers. It’s not like it’s an advantage over a stock mount location (legal).
We have a FB group. I would ask there before. Really my only interest is that it's the cheaper option. Even if it does add more weight. I suspect the cincy group might be a bit more concerned with it.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What are you tuning with?

Tunerpro for editing the binary files.
Simos Tools for logging and flashing.
Megalogviewer and/or Datazap for reviewing the logs.

Also @xXDavidCXx I don't believe so, he was driving in sport mode if I recall correctly. @Rmcnelly might be able to tell you for sure. That was his car/driving.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Alright I pulled the trigger on the now correct Superpro Kit and a BMS IC. I'm going to throw the Sway Bars on when I get them which will likely be before the coilovers arrive by a week or so.
I want to adjust out preload as I do plan to go about 1/4"-1/2" lower. I tried search around but I can't seem to find anything overly enthusiastic...
Recommendations on Front and Rear Adjustable end links? And then other than just doing it and measuring how can I know how long of end links ( adjustment range ) should I be looking at?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Alright I pulled the trigger on the now correct Superpro Kit and a BMS IC. I'm going to throw the Sway Bars on when I get them which will likely be before the coilovers arrive by a week or so.
I want to adjust out preload as I do plan to go about 1/4"-1/2" lower. I tried search around but I can't seem to find anything overly enthusiastic...
Recommendations on Front and Rear Adjustable end links? And then other than just doing it and measuring how can I know how long of end links ( adjustment range ) should I be looking at?
If you're planning on coilovers grab adjustable links to remove preload. Whiteline is on the cheaper end of adjustable ones without spherical joints.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
If you're planning on coilovers grab adjustable links to remove preload. Whiteline is on the cheaper end of adjustable ones without spherical joints.
Definitely am. The Whitelines are just about the only common thread I've seen so far.
Found the Whitelines on (Front) Amazon and (Rear) Amazon
Best price of a lot of the options too.

Last edited:

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Catch cans when did you guys decide you needed to run them and those that are running them are you seeing a lot collected during autox?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Catch cans when did you guys decide you needed to run them and those that are running them are you seeing a lot collected during autox?
After my very first autocross event, I realized I needed a catch can. Oil smoke and stumbling after a hard hairpin turn.

I got a simple in-line can from BMS and it works perfectly. I probably don’t get more than a 1/4 teaspoon in there each event, but that makes the difference 🤷‍♂️. Zero issues since.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
After my very first autocross event, I realized I needed a catch can. Oil smoke and stumbling after a hard hairpin turn.

I got a simple in-line can from BMS and it works perfectly. I probably don’t get more than a 1/4 teaspoon in there each event, but that makes the difference 🤷‍♂️. Zero issues since.
Were you running the AP version or BL PCV?
If AP did you ever swap to BL? I'm torn between which option to try first. I'd like to keep it simple equipment wise but if the BL PCV wont really do it then might as well launch with the BMS CC and be done.