GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
On an old gravelly wwII runway, I don't think much at all. At local events, you're good.

If you're going to nationals or run regularly on a good surface, it's half to a full second.

I see them as a more forgiving old RE71R.
I run at Devens so old cracked asphalt runway but it's not too bad overall. Competition is pretty ridiculous in general even in the non-SCCA events, we regularly have multiple national champs and more than a few trophy winners in the BMW CCA events.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run at Devens so old cracked asphalt runway but it's not too bad overall. Competition is pretty ridiculous in general even in the non-SCCA events, we regularly have multiple national champs and more than a few trophy winners in the BMW CCA events.
I think they'll be fine on that surface.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I run STH locally, but my IS38 would disqualify me from nationals even though that turbo hurts me more than helps. Is12 on the 1.8 would be perfect.

I'm being asked to codrive, but not sure yet. But that wouldn't be STH.

If you didn't care about being disqualified, could you go run for fun. I know sacrilegious if you're competitive, but oh well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Where are all of you STH cars for Nationals? With only 16 signed up for open class, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the SCCA looking at changes. - AB
That's what happens when you create multiple overlapping classes targeting the same people. STH, SM, and XSA are all going after the same group of people, IMO.

SCCA has this issue every few years. They create a bunch of new classes, it draws from other classes, they kill off a class, rinse and repeat.

Honestly, we're all idiots for running anything other than street classes. Lol.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I run STH locally, but my IS38 would disqualify me from nationals even though that turbo hurts me more than helps. Is12 on the 1.8 would be perfect.

I'm being asked to codrive, but not sure yet. But that wouldn't be STH.

If you didn't care about being disqualified, could you go run for fun. I know sacrilegious if you're competitive, but oh well.
That's the fun part of more relaxed time attack series. Any OEM turbo is good (or any turbo period, and you're just classed by power:weight) and you have to get creative with the rules in other ways. It's lame to intentionally gimp a 1.8 car by dumping it in with cars on the same chassis, just with more displacement.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's the fun part of more relaxed time attack series. Any OEM turbo is good (or any turbo period, and you're just classed by power:weight) and you have to get creative with the rules in other ways. It's lame to intentionally gimp a 1.8 car by dumping it in with cars on the same chassis, just with more displacement.
Well it's not their fault. It's my fault for picking the wrong car and modifying it to not be competitive. Admittedly, this was all before i decided to do AutoX.

As Gtifan said, better just to do street class.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
Yeah. I have a 2022 Miata Club on order that will finally come in on 8/8. The plan is to set it up for C Street. I was hoping to get another year out of the Audi in STH, but it’s not looking great. - AB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah. I have a 2022 Miata Club on order that will finally come in on 8/8. The plan is to set it up for C Street. I was hoping to get another year out of the Audi in STH, but it’s not looking great. - AB
I have a buddy with a full prep 2019, shocks, carcepts front bar, extra wheels for sale with a proper roll bar already installed. I'll put you in contact if interested. It's the dark gray color.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
I have a buddy with a full prep 2019, shocks, carcepts front bar, extra wheels for sale with a proper roll bar already installed. I'll put you in contact if interested. It's the dark gray color.
I don’t want his car, but would be interested in some of the parts. PM me if he’s interested in parting some items. Thanks. - AB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don’t want his car, but would be interested in some of the parts. PM me if he’s interested in parting some items. Thanks. - AB
He's not parting it out. Sorry, man.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
No worries. I bought a BBS/Recaro/Brembo car, so the wheels probably wouldn’t work. Likely I would buy MCS’s that could be revalved for STR if I went that direction on the future.

I just fear that STH needs an injection of new cars to remain viable. Maybe the Veloster N and some other cars? If my TT got classed in STU, while I would gain a real LSD up front and 295’s from 245’s, I’d need to pick up about 3 seconds over two days. Doable possibly, but my old MK2 TTS has a better shot I think (and classed in STU).

I am stunned at how few GTI’s are coming to Nationals after one won last year. - AB

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
That's what happens when you create multiple overlapping classes targeting the same people. STH, SM, and XSA are all going after the same group of people, IMO.

SCCA has this issue every few years. They create a bunch of new classes, it draws from other classes, they kill off a class, rinse and repeat.

Honestly, we're all idiots for running anything other than street classes. Lol.
Yeah if there's a next car, I'll stick with street class. Maybe H street for pure fun and everyday normalcy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And back to the V730. A local Miata NA driver managed to kill a set in 40 runs running too much pressure. He's gotten another set and I helped him dial in pressures.

I looked at mine this morning, they're straight slicks, and I'm so impressed how well they did last weekend. They wore completely evenly, consistent grip down to cords, even with a crazy day like Sunday. I spray after the 2nd or 3rd run, I had 3 drivers, it was 93 degrees, and no breeze at all. Hottest event I can remember in years. Previous experience at hot events with 3 drivers, RE71R's would get really greasy at the front and braking and turn in would greatly suffer, no matter how much you sprayed.

The V730 stayed consistent till the end.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Seriously, the caliber of driver out here is ridiculous. Everyone wants to run 660s to save yoks for nats, but no one wants to lose based on tires alone around here.
Where are all of you STH cars for Nationals? With only 16 signed up for open class, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the SCCA looking at changes. - AB
I'll likely be there, but probably in BSP? Lot of changeover from STH last year