GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Exxon is my first choice, followed by Sunoco. As with the rest of you, Shell is knock city for me

Obakong

Ready to race!
Exxon is my first choice, followed by Sunoco. As with the rest of you, Shell is knock city for me

I wonder what it is that makes Shell so bad, and why it's better in California?

Seems Shell gas the best knock resistance of California gas (at least this is what a few tuners have said)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump909

Passed Driver's Ed
My current daily driver tune is pretty mild (390whp/370wtq, only 6.8 degrees of peak timing).

I can get gas from anywhere and never see any knock...unless it's Shell, which gives me 1-2 degrees.

Isn't anything under 3 within spec? How are able to get it so low most of the time?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I use costco for all my gas. If no costco then Exxon. I haven't had an issue with Shell on my GTI though.
Costco for my 91oct. Top tier gas and cheaper than competition by 50c/g. I get my flex/ethanol from chevron but it isn't their product.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wonder what it is that makes Shell so bad, and why it's better in California?

Seems Shell gas the best knock resistance of California gas (at least this is what a few tuners have said)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Cali guys swear by it. I can tell you in the Northeast it's a very poor choice for making power. It might be clean, but the knock resistance of their 93 is close to 90 octane.

Isn't anything under 3 within spec? How are able to get it so low most of the time?

There's no spec, but the general rule is below 3 degrees is ok. Mine is low because I'm running less ignition timing than I potentially could. Basically I traded 10-15whp for the ability to run any 93oct fuel I want without concern.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
My current daily driver tune is pretty mild (390whp/370wtq, only 6.8 degrees of peak timing).

I can get gas from anywhere and never see any knock...unless it's Shell, which gives me 1-2 degrees.

V-Power 93 is consistently the worst fuel available. Any other brand including the cheap no names offers better knock resistance.

This seems to vary by region. I've been to a bunch of Shells in the Northeast and they all suck equally.
Yea it's probably really clean stuff I'm not knocking it on that but the octane level is trash there's no way I get that bad of correction running a blend. I had some on the same tank with my 93 as well. I might stop and throw another gallon in on the way home and see if that helps. If it does I'll send over logs to Alex before I go on vacation. I'd hate for those 9 days to be unproductive lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yea it's probably really clean stuff I'm not knocking it on that but the octane level is trash there's no way I get that bad of correction running a blend. I had some on the same tank with my 93 as well. I might stop and throw another gallon in on the way home and see if that helps. If it does I'll send over logs to Alex before I go on vacation. I'd hate for those 9 days to be unproductive lol

I'd just wait...sending logs with an inaccurate blend trying to compensate for shitty fuel is just going to be counterproductive.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW

When are you knocking? Wot pulls? Normal driving?

I wouldn't just assume poor gas, been driving many years on many tunes and don't have one personal instance of "bad gas." But I've had to adjust my tunes to be less aggressive using Hoon's same logic. You gotta give a little, cant just take.

Or you can tune to the point where 1-2g of e85 gets rid of it but then YOU HAVE to do it all the time to maintain knock-free status.. But by all means, if its just bad gas then use the non bad gas and you are set.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
When are you knocking? Wot pulls? Normal driving?

I wouldn't just assume poor gas, been driving many years on many tunes and don't have one personal instance of "bad gas." But I've had to adjust my tunes to be less aggressive using Hoon's same logic. You gotta give a little, cant just take.

Or you can tune to the point where 1-2g of e85 gets rid of it but then YOU HAVE to do it all the time to maintain knock-free status.. But by all means, if its just bad gas then use the non bad gas and you are set.

It's the fuel, trust me.

It is a clear, consistent and repeatable difference when compared to other brands.

I can put a slightly hotter (400whp) tune in the car and I'll get an occasional 1 degree fleck of KR from most brands. Put Shell in the car and it's an instant 3-4 degrees.

I can do it over and over at any local Shell station. I've tried this 9-10 times always the same results. Tons of Shell gas in my area so sometimes I can't avoid it.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
It's the fuel, trust me.

It is a clear, consistent and repeatable difference when compared to other brands.

I can put a slightly hotter (400whp) tune in the car and I'll get an occasional 1 degree fleck of KR from most brands. Put Shell in the car and it's an instant 3-4 degrees.

I can do it over and over at any local Shell station. I've tried this 9-10 times always the same results. Tons of Shell gas in my area so sometimes I can't avoid it.
Ok, assuming you are correct, is ALL fuel bad where he lives? Or does he just like using the bad fuel and wants to get his car specifically tuned to the bad fuel? Why not use good fuel and be done? Bad fuel implies that its the fuel not his car/tune, so switch to fuel that is not bad..

I don't get it.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
It definitely seems regional. For the winter blend here in Chicagoland, Costco would KR to around -5 to -6, while Shell would KR to around -3 to -4.5.

Oddly enough, with the summer blend, there wasn't much difference between the two.

Just filled up with Mobil and am curious to see how their swill is.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Ok, assuming you are correct, is ALL fuel bad where he lives? Or does he just like using the bad fuel and wants to get his car specifically tuned to the bad fuel? Why not use good fuel and be done? Bad fuel implies that its the fuel not his car/tune, so switch to fuel that is not bad..

I don't get it.

I think he was in a pinch and needed gas, and the only station nearby was a Shell.

It's not "bad", but I've had to blend V-Power 93 50/50 with Sonoco 260gt (unleaded 100 octane) to get the same logs I get from no name 93.

Based on the math, this puts the Shell "93" at about 90 octane, assuming other brands 93 is actually 93.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
If you go through this thread dating back to the beginning you'll see my issues with shell. Multiple times and multiple shell stations. I've used Sam's club gas and been clean as a whistle. Added in with all of hoons issues with it posted on here, it's the gas trust us.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I'd just wait...sending logs with an inaccurate blend trying to compensate for shitty fuel is just going to be counterproductive.
Yea I thought about that. Without the fuel it kit to begin with idk the exact been. I usually fill to a 40 blend figuring the 85 I put in isn't 85. I'll have to burn through the tank when I get back then I'll just fill up with the sunoco that sells e85 while I'm there