GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange tire wear?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Curious about the tire wear I'm seeing on my fronts. The tires have about 20k mi on them and were rotated and aligned about 5k mi ago at VW. They're Michelin Sport 4S that I bought in 2017. Anyone seen similar wear? No track days on these and I don't drive particularly aggressive, DCC in comfort 90% of the time. My concern is specifically with how the inner shoulder is wearing much more that any other part of the tire. Is this a function of the suspension geometry? Tire composition? Typically the outer shoulder would wear more on front biased car because of understeer, right?

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 763
  • IMG_5433.jpeg
    IMG_5433.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,125
  • IMG_5434.jpeg
    IMG_5434.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,377

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That's pretty much what my PSS's look like around 23k miles.

Got a free alignment check and the manager didn't find anything alarming that would contribute to such wear. Said it's most likely due to sportier nature of this car's geometry.

Stock suspension. Rotations done every 5k w one autox and track day on them. Here are close up pics with an alignment sheet right below it:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-this-from-tire-rolling-over.368457/#post-7358982
This reminds me of my e46 330Ci sports package (lowered a bit more w staggered sizing). Alignment check on that car was done after i found tire casing showing through the rear tires; was told it was within spec and considered normal for staggered sizing.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
That's pretty much what my PSS's look like around 23k miles.

Got a free alignment check and the manager didn't find anything alarming that would contribute to such wear. Said it's most likely due to sportier nature of this car's geometry.

Stock suspension. Rotations done every 5k w one autox and track day on them. Here are close up pics with an alignment sheet right below it:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-this-from-tire-rolling-over.368457/#post-7358982
This reminds me of my e46 330Ci sports package (lowered a bit more w staggered sizing). Alignment check on that car was done after i found tire casing showing through the rear tires; was told it was within spec and considered normal for staggered sizing.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

39 psi? Mine says 37 psi.

2016 R with DCC 19'' wheels

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpeg
    IMG_5435.jpeg
    8.6 MB · Views: 284

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Gotta be toe, especially if you're on stock suspension. Usually the front outer shoulders get trashed on track because we're camber challenged.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'm also running 4S's but only have about 6,000 miles on them, so I can't reply from experience (yet). That said, since a few others who have put the miles on this have written that they've experienced similar wear, I'd guess that it might have something to do with the different rubber compounds used on the inside and on the outside of the tread. I've been using multiple compound tires on motorcycles for years and the difference in tread wear is often noticable as the tires wear--so much that you can occaisionally see (and feel) the dividing line between compounds on worn tires.

Mk7sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
That’s all camber.
vw is sacrificing tires for road handling.
toe will scrub all the way across the tire.
if The tire pressure is 2 high the center of tire will wear.
to low and both sides will get worn even with all the camber. Camber side more wear of course. The middle will look better.

CharT99

If you don't drive particularly aggressively, negative camber with toe will scrub the inner shoulders just driving in a straight line. Aggressive cornering will wear the outer shoulders and even out the wear.

As others have mentioned, post your 4-wheel alignment readings. The front camber isn't adjustable, but can sometimes be out (spec is -1.2 to 0.2 deg). The rear tires have more negative camber (spec -2.3 to -1.3 deg) and you typically will see inside shoulders wearing more on the rear tires.

For primarily commuting, find an alignment shop willing to dial in your exact specs to even out the front caster, then fuss with the front suspension to get camber even on both sides and closest to zero (-1.0 to 0 degrees) with zero toe. Rear should be set to -1.3 deg (min spec) camber and .03" (min spec) toe-in each side.