GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock MK7 GTI vs STI

Frank0577

Passed Driver's Ed
Me and this dude in a STi raced from 30 to 115mph i had him by at least 2 cars idk how this little gti is so fast but I even beat my buddys RT challenger, Ive had my car for about 2 weeks now and I love it

The Messiah

Ready to race!
For sure. STi should walk all over a GTi. You would need at least a Stage I tune on the GTi to stand somewhat of a chance. Regardless, good kill.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Stock GTI can hang with a stock STI from a roll, but you're not going to pull cars on him until your tuned. Maybe he mis-shifted.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
uh oh he may popped ring land. The sti and previous gen wrx engines have a very different power band, below 3k rpm, the car feels like its dying, its more like its about to die, its about to die, then boom right in your face you get turbo lag. he probably isn't a good driver or popped a ring land.

GTI has better advantage on roll races, due to smoother power band
STI has better advantage from a dig, cause all wheel drive.

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
I see no reason to doubt the OP. STI's trap 98-102 mph and have to row their own gears. Car and Driver trapped 100.8 mph in their DSG PP GTI. Some of that STI trap speed is in the 1/8th mile where it would jump ahead with no torque limit and no wheel spin, so in a roll a GTI should be able to walk and STI stock for stock. They dyno about the same to the wheels with the GTI having a torque advantage, not to mention he weight advantage.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
I see no reason to doubt the OP. STI's trap 98-102 mph and have to row their own gears. Car and Driver trapped 100.8 mph in their DSG PP GTI. Some of that STI trap speed is in the 1/8th mile where it would jump ahead with no torque limit and no wheel spin, so in a roll a GTI should be able to walk and STI stock for stock. They dyno about the same to the wheels with the GTI having a torque advantage, not to mention he weight advantage.
Wow, that's good to know. I'm always a little cautious around STi's. Guess it's for naught! And with Stage 1 I should be fine (Stage II next Monday!).

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Wow, that's good to know. I'm always a little cautious around STi's. Guess it's for naught! And with Stage 1 I should be fine (Stage II next Monday!).

Yep, stock STi's are no match for a tuned 7. People know how capable our cars are stock, let a lone tuned.

When I got my car (one of the first batch in my area), I'd get many "kids" revving their motors at me wanting to race. I was still in my break-in time and didn't. The very few times I bit back (after my break-in period), they couldn't pull away from me.

A year and a bit later, I'm no longer getting these invitations to race. I think people know not to take this car lightly.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
Yep, stock STi's are no match for a tuned 7. People know how capable our cars are stock, let a lone tuned.

When I got my car (one of the first batch in my area), I'd get many "kids" revving their motors at me wanting to race. I was still in my break-in time and didn't. The very few times I bit back (after my break-in period), they couldn't pull away from me.

A year and a bit later, I'm no longer getting these invitations to race. I think people know not to take this car lightly.
I guess because I like 'racing' from a dig and the Sti runs 0-60 mph in under 5 and our cars aren't close to that. I also understand the STi suffers from a lot of turbo-lag, so especially if you catch them in the wrong gear you can put a beating on them.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I guess because I like 'racing' from a dig and the Sti runs 0-60 mph in under 5 and our cars aren't close to that. I also understand the STi suffers from a lot of turbo-lag, so especially if you catch them in the wrong gear you can put a beating on them.

Yep! From a dig, we're screwed. I've never raced one from a dig...

<sidenote>I know the dangers of street racing, especially in busy streets. That said, I'm VERY picky when I bite back at a "rev".<sidenote/>

... but I did "play" with a current gen stock-looking STi the other day. He was behind me and I was following a slow-moving car. We both switch to the passing lane and gun it at the same time. I was in 3rd gear and just left him until he was a speck in my mirror. Granted, I'm ED Stage 2 and this car PULLS in 3rd :D

I'm not sure how an STi's gearing is compared to ours.

TooManyHobbies

Ready to race!
one of the biggest complaints about the WRX is the gearing. The added 6th gear is nice for highway but has slowed the car down in a sprint. STI, I'm not sure, but you have to beat the hell out of those cars to extract power, so unless its a 5K rpm clutch dump, you should be fine with a modified GTI

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
The OP never said what year STI. It would be totally believable if he won against a 1990's STI.

Considering the STI didn't come to the US until 2003 and all of them since then have basically the same EJ25 engine, it really doesn't matter as they are all within a couple tenths of each-other in the 1/4 mile.