GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1/2 mods?

MikeB

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I'm going to order some parts for my car, it's stock now and I will keep it stock for a couple more months. After that I will be going stage 2.

I'll be modding my airbox now already and i'm thinking of keeping the stock airbox with K&N air filter and

http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...-silicone-turbo-inlet-hose-vwr12g7r600it.html

and

http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...high-flow-turbo-elbow-vwr12g7r600itinlet.html

Will this be enough for stage 2? Because people said to me an aftermarket doesn't really do something before 400hp and I don't want to spend 400 for no gain basicly.

Also is the catch can good for the mk7's? Or not really needed anymore?

Thanks for the help,

Mike.

MikeB

Passed Driver's Ed
Skip all of that and upgrade your intercooler. Also, you’ll need a downpipe to go stage 2.

Here’s a good start on what not to do if you’re looking for actual performance gains (read the first page, after that it basically becomes a troll post/dad jokes)

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

So basicly for stage 2 only k&n drop in filter, milltek sport cat downpipe and Wagner intercooler?

Will there be anything that works and will improve my car except those mods?

Thank you!

Aussie R

Ready to race!
So basicly for stage 2 only k&n drop in filter, milltek sport cat downpipe and Wagner intercooler?

Thank you!

I'd suggest the turbo elbow/Inlet pipe as you showed and one of the Dog bone engine mounts. They help tighten things up which is good when at stage 2 torque levels.

Unless you're after intake sounds it's been proven that removing snow grate and modifying the stock box to allow direct air flow and drop in filter just as good. I know that's what most of the well known custom tuners recommend with something like turbo elbow you showed.

I have the APR intake with TMD as I love the induction sounds so for me it's worth the $ because having a performance turbo car and barely hearing the turbo is lacking in the enjoyment stakes.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

Thank you!

If you want to purchase all your parts in Europe i would suggest BMC filter (filters better than K&N) Airtec IC (60mm thick bar and plate vs Wagner tube and fin) and HJS catted Milltek.

MikeB

Passed Driver's Ed

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Hey guys,

I'm going to order some parts for my car, it's stock now and I will keep it stock for a couple more months. After that I will be going stage 2.

I'll be modding my airbox now already and i'm thinking of keeping the stock airbox with K&N air filter and

http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...-silicone-turbo-inlet-hose-vwr12g7r600it.html

and

http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...high-flow-turbo-elbow-vwr12g7r600itinlet.html

Will this be enough for stage 2? Because people said to me an aftermarket doesn't really do something before 400hp and I don't want to spend 400 for no gain basicly.

Also is the catch can good for the mk7's? Or not really needed anymore?

Thanks for the help,

Mike.

Hey Mike! Sounds like a fun plan. I'll start with saying though catch cans may help in the grand scheme of larger turbo vehicles, and in general increased boost, they aren't exactly a necessity. That said, long term, I can recommend some good solutions that are user friendly, and by far the best filtration out there. Lots of catch can offerings don't receive the testing they should IMO.

Now for power increases, I agree with the above stated remarks about going straight to stage 2. The challenge is finding a package you enjoy the looks, sound, and performance of, without breaking the bank. Stepping back and taking a look at the the mods you'd posted, the inlet items are fun, and do simplify some things but don't really provide you with something worth the dollar or at least in the butt dyno. The intake and downpipe combination and included tune, is something I can offer to save you the need to ask things like what parts with each other, and how do I know what I'm actually getting? Right now this is impossible to beat, when you factory in that it includes the tune you would need. https://www.maperformance.com/products/map-stage-2-package-2015-vw-mk7-gti?variant=41354936963

That said, start with an Accessport when you're ready to get your feet wet, enjoy a free tune from us, and from there, you can really decide what might suit your interests and budget best. Anyway, sorry for the long winded input, but feel free to reach out with any questions! I'm here to help.

-Adam

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

People don’t like k&n mainly cause they come heavily oiled and really can screw up the maf sensor especially on gm cars, in my experience, our cars don’t have one, it works fine. I run one on my stage 1 16 R, no issues for 3 years. Personally I like it better than the racing line drop in filter, I replaced with the k&n.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport

I think the misconception about K&N that most miss, it what or who it's made for. K&N is great for quality, consistency, support, and vehicle warranty often times. That said, it's usually not the most powerful, or cost effective option on the market. I can see why someone would go K&N or not, for certain situations.

-Adam

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Thank you!

Those types of mods, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend any of those brands.

I just read this http://www.mygolfmk7.com/turbo-inlet-pipe/ this means it does Work but only minor.

I wrote my thread years before that one, and stand by my original statement that it’s a waste of money. Minimal gains aren’t good justification IMO

It is your money, so by all means do as you wish but you asked for options and as one of the most senior members here that’s mine.

Friends don't let friends buy K&N.

This. Oiled cotton airfilters of any brand (K&N definitely included) are Stone Age technology that can hurt more than it helps. Buy a quality synthetic dry filter if you’re going to do any upgrade it shouldn’t sacrifice longevity of your turbo & engine

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Agreed GTI Jake, also I have always had good luck with the AFE Dry Filter that is the one I would recommend and the one I will be putting on my 19 GTI also!

MikeB

Passed Driver's Ed
Those types of mods, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend any of those brands.

I wrote my thread years before that one, and stand by my original statement that it’s a waste of money. Minimal gains aren’t good justification IMO

It is your money, so by all means do as you wish but you asked for options and as one of the most senior members here that’s mine.

This. Oiled cotton airfilters of any brand (K&N definitely included) are Stone Age technology that can hurt more than it helps. Buy a quality synthetic dry filter if you’re going to do any upgrade it shouldn’t sacrifice longevity of your turbo & engine

What do you recommend? I thought Wagner ic’s were highly rated? And milltek downpipe with 200 cells are a good price? Or better alternatives?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Jake's IC (Baun performance) has the best IATs I've seen from any of them, and is excellent value for the dollar. It may replace my Unitronic depending on what direction I go with the car.

My issue with K&N is exactly what Jake said. It's 70+ year old technology, and it performs like it. Poor filtration to the point where you can see the spike in Silica if you do oil analysis. The filter industry progressed and K&N didn't. Much better options are available.

I don't care about the oil, these cars don't have MAF sensors.