GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Anyone else experience a “popping sound” from the front on low speed turns weeks after doing this job?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Popping when doing full lock turns means the upper strut bolt (that holds the strut to the mounts/bearings) isn't torque properly, the spring isn't seated properly or the bearing isn't properly matched to the mount.

As for the 2x4 method going back to stock springs, it'll work regardless.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
if all you're doing is springs, why pull the strut from the knuckle?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Having done this job twice, I'm still unconvinced that bolting a 2x4 to the swaybar mount and using a jack to try to get the strut out of the knuckle is any easier or faster than unbolting the axle. With the right set of tools and extensions + an impact driver the axle is off the transmission in a minute, and you're not trying to fight against something that's compressed and trying to kill you.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Having done this job twice, I'm still unconvinced that bolting a 2x4 to the swaybar mount and using a jack to try to get the strut out of the knuckle is any easier or faster than unbolting the axle. With the right set of tools and extensions + an impact driver the axle is off the transmission in a minute, and you're not trying to fight against something that's compressed and trying to kill you.

I'd assume because most people don't have the right set of tools and extension and an impact. You can say "Well maybe they shouldn't be installing springs then", and maybe that's true, but it can still get done with mostly basic tools and a 2x4.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

to clarify, if you're changing the strut, then yes, the strut has to come out of the knuckle. If all you're changing is springs, then the strut does not have to come out of the knuckle. For just springs, my rec is pull the knuckle / strut / spring / top mount together

This thread jumps in to 2x4 method from the very first post, which may be a preference for those who are changing the strut. But for those only changing springs, there are other methods that do not require as much labor.

that's all

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
That's legit the worst advice I've ever read regarding this topic.

The strut has to come out of the knuckle to access the top mount/bearing which have to be removed to get the spring out and to re-torque the strut nut correctly.

Unless you like working with zero clearance, visibility or access. If that's the case, have a great time.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I'd assume because most people don't have the right set of tools and extension and an impact. You can say "Well maybe they shouldn't be installing springs then", and maybe that's true, but it can still get done with mostly basic tools and a 2x4.

Or they simply don't want to remove crucial components when they don't need to be removed.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's legit the worst advice I've ever read regarding this topic.

The strut has to come out of the knuckle to access the top mount/bearing which have to be removed to get the spring out and to re-torque the strut nut correctly.

Unless you like working with zero clearance, visibility or access. If that's the case, have a great time.

I assume he means a method like this, where you remove the brakes, unbolt the knuckle from everything, and remove it with it. Then just change the spring with the whole assembly off the car.

After fighting with the strut to get it out of the knuckle myself, I can see how that may be an easier method if you have a full garage of tools. But for your regular DIY enthusiast, I think the 2x4 may be the best way.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

2 x 4 isn't bad if you have 2 people. I wouldn't do it by myself. It really helps to have someone handling the strut and someone working the jack that understands what's happening.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I assume he means a method like this, where you remove the brakes, unbolt the knuckle from everything, and remove it with it. Then just change the spring with the whole assembly off the car.

After fighting with the strut to get it out of the knuckle myself, I can see how that may be an easier method if you have a full garage of tools. But for your regular DIY enthusiast, I think the 2x4 may be the best way.

exactly this (the video you link to). And to your point, if you want to go forward without buying a few more sockets and possibly an impact, well, you do what you can.

guy in the video mentions he can do a spring on one side of the front in 20 minutes, IIRC.

He's on a lift and has done it many times, so a first-timer and most of us will take longer.

The first time you remove the spindle from the cv may require some effort, but applying anti-seize on reinstall makes reinstall and any future removal easy.

I've had spindle / strut / spring / top mount as a component off the car several times in the last four years, to swap to camber plates, to change springs and spring bearing, to modify camber plates, to change ball joints for tttrs arm install.

I've tried strut removal for a spring change as well. It's harder.

Personally, there is no way I would pull the strut to change the top mount or the springs, unless I needed to replace struts at the same time.

Some people may pull the strut for a spring change because they're used to doing it that way. I'm just pointing out that there's an easier way.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
2 x 4 isn't bad if you have 2 people. I wouldn't do it by myself. It really helps to have someone handling the strut and someone working the jack that understands what's happening.

I can absolutely agree with that. The two things that would have made my install infinitely easier would have been an actual strut knuckle spreader (still waiting for it to get delivered, despite originally supposed to come last Friday), and a second set of competent hands.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I can absolutely agree with that. The two things that would have made my install infinitely easier would have been an actual strut knuckle spreader (still waiting for it to get delivered, despite originally supposed to come last Friday), and a second set of competent hands.
100% do not need 2 people for 2x4 method if you have the strut spreader. It comes out so easy.