GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Split Underseal on the Lifting Points

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Not sure whether this has been seen by anyone else but it would appear that the underseal on the jacking points under the car has split, and the metal can be seen through the broken underseal!! There doesn't seem to be any rust showing and the metal appears to be clean - I can only assume that this has come off when it has been at VW for a service or if the previous owner has ever had to jack the car up, as I have never used the scissor jack or any other jack for that matter to have the car off the ground :/! Is this something I should be concerned about?? I assume that all this metal will be galvanised, but do you think it would be better just to slap some waxoyl onto the exposed metal and keep a check on it every time I wash the car? I assume that, despite being under warranty, VW wouldn't give a monkeys about this!

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I'd get a spray can of Hammerite Body Underseal (which contains Waxoyl) and touch up the exposed areas.

I don't think I'd bother with a dealers involvement and the potential hassle.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply. I've attached a photo which shows the jacking point in question with the underseal missing - It isn't rusty so some Hammerite Body Underseal should be ok as nothing should fester underneath it! I do have some POR 15 which I have heard is as hard as nails so I might put that on as well!! Ive also attached some images of the other Jacking Points on the car. Do they look Right - I.e. should they be at right angles like you can see in the photos???

Attachments

• Golf 1.jpg
    Golf 1.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 2,357
  • Golf 2.jpg
    Golf 2.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 2,307
  • Golf 3.jpg
    Golf 3.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 2,231
  • Golf 4a.jpg
    Golf 4a.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 2,038
  • Golf 5a.jpg
    Golf 5a.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 1,938

vidman

Ready to race!
Steel should be Galvanised so should not rust but can be over-coated with any good underseal if required

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Those are the designated lifting points of the car. The moment your car receives a PDI they will get boogered. Mine were like that when I took delivery of my car.

It is not a "cancerous" area for rust development. Being low point on body, thick steel, galvanized, no hiding areas for water to sit and rot away things, it'll be fine.

Trust me, worse things will happen to your Mk7 than this.

proton

Ready to race!
Those are the designated lifting points of the car. The moment your car receives a PDI they will get boogered. Mine were like that when I took delivery of my car.

It is not a "cancerous" area for rust development. Being low point on body, thick steel, galvanized, no hiding areas for water to sit and rot away things, it'll be fine.

Trust me, worse things will happen to your Mk7 than this.

Yeah, I was a little concerned the first time I jacked mine up to fit winter wheels and saw that the sealant there had been messed up. Then I thought what's supposed to happen when you put the weight of the car on that point? It's only to be expected that the metal underneath will end up exposed. I've assumed there's no issue with it.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
This is normal on a VAG cars, and have been for many years. On our Audi A4 -05 it’s the same construction. When I change tyres winter/summer twice a year I just add some spray wax Dinitrol/Tectyl/Carosol or whatever brand you have, if there is a scratch on the under coat. No big deal. I just “dot” wax on the pinch weld with some piece of paper if you don’t want to spray a big area. I’m picky, don’t want any rust….

/Peter

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
happens ALL THE TIME.. Don't sweat it.

What I do when lifting cars is use a very dense pad or puck so as to minimize damage but it will still happen eventually.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
3M Underbody rubber coating.

I usually keep the bottom coated. Best part is if any of the rubber undercoating comes off... just spray more on.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
here's what my "split seam" looks like:

Tried slotting out a hockey puck to protect it. Well that backfired pretty badly. I guess I cut the slot too deep because the factory mount point on the pinch weld split the puck in two and the jack slipped a bit, totally deforming one side of the split seam. Fantastic. First time raising the car, too. Seems like not the greatest design if you ask me... I wish there was a flat surface intended by the factory for floor jack use, would be so much better

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
here's what my "split seam" looks like:

Tried slotting out a hockey puck to protect it. Well that backfired pretty badly. I guess I cut the slot too deep because the factory mount point on the pinch weld split the puck in two and the jack slipped a bit, totally deforming one side of the split seam. Fantastic. First time raising the car, too. Seems like not the greatest design if you ask me... I wish there was a flat surface intended by the factory for floor jack use, would be so much better

Wow dude. Sorry that happened to you, it does sound like maybe you went too deep on the puck...

Definitely don't want to go too deep, just enough to cradle the point.
Here's what my puck looks like. It works great. Just had my wife's car up on 4 stands this weekend doing a tire rotation.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Wow dude. Sorry that happened to you, it does sound like maybe you went too deep on the puck...

Definitely don't want to go too deep, just enough to cradle the point.
Here's what my puck looks like. It works great. Just had my wife's car up on 4 stands this weekend doing a tire rotation.

Yeah... I went like halfway through the puck. Oops. First time using that trick. Oh well it was a quick lesson and now I know what NOT to do for the future. I don't care too much about the way it looks since it's underneath the car, I just hope it doesn't attract rust. Good to hear that area is galvanized, and I will spray it, too, for extra protection.