GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor removal

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not that different. Both employ an active electronic synthesizer pumping signal through the amp and into the speaker system. If it is connected and switched on, it is definitely making some noise (all such devices have a noise floor). The soundaktor hockey puck does not look like an audiophile-quality high signal/noise ratio device.

No they don't.
BMW uses essentially a recording of a car played through the cars speaker system.

VW essentially uses a transducer (think dropping a mic in the water to hear what dolphins have to say) which uses the cars windshield as a speaker medium.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I was watching a TFL car review of the latest S5 and they said Audi sends harmonics through the windshield glass via a "diaphragm" at the base of the windshield. I haven't looked into it any farther(yet), but to me that sounds ridiculous.

Spend all that R&D on making a car quiet, just to negate it from the inside of the vehicle, rather then outside. SMH at the modern consumer's demands.

Well, reducing NVH in modern high end cars is the way it is.
No one is going to produce one low on sound deadening and such, unless it's a clubsport type application.
So, what's a manufacturer to do?
There's only so far they are going to go with intake and exhaust sound.
So, they're putting some sound into the cabin instead.
Remember, a car like the GTI is also sold as a Golf - and a GTI only differs from a Golf in suspension upgrades a turbocharger, and some trim.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So, what's a manufacturer to do?
There's only so far they are going to go with intake and exhaust sound.
So, they're putting some sound into the cabin instead.

Why not just offer it as an optional extra vs forcing the feature on everyone? Considering the retail for a stupid soundbox like the soundaktor is in the $150+ range (correct me if I'm wrong), wouldn't this save VW a good chunk of change over millions of units? Don't even pass the savings on to us, keep the price the same. Not like any of us would have passed on the car over a stupid $150 option that most of us didn't want in the first place.

It annoys me that we are essentially forced to pay for this stupid feature when its so useless. I don't care for a sunroof or driver assist features but at least I'm not forced to pay for them. What's the point of sound deadening the car to begin with if you're gonna funnel in annoying fake exhaust noise? Those that want it dead quiet won't be happy and enthusiasts that like real engine/exhaust noise will dislike it equally. Its a lose lose for the consumer and for VW.

I don't get it...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Spend tens of thousands on a new car and possibly thousands more for performance mods, but cheap out buying a VCDS? I have no sympathy for people like this.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Spend tens of thousands on a new car and possibly thousands more for performance mods, but cheap out buying a VCDS? I have no sympathy for people like this.

Honestly. Took me less than 10 seconds to shut it off with my OBDeleven and I'm about as noob as it gets.

Still, doesn't it bother you that part of the purchase price of your car went to this crap? We all essentially paid to have the soundaktor...I can't really think of many standard features in a car that have actually aggravated me like this one when the thought of my money going to them pops up. Maybe crap tires?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Honestly. Took me less than 10 seconds to shut it off with my OBDeleven and I'm about as noob as it gets.

Still, doesn't it bother you that part of the purchase price of your car went to this crap? We all essentially paid to have the soundaktor...I can't really think of many standard features in a car that have actually aggravated me like this one when the thought of my money going to them pops up. Maybe crap tires?

Totally agreed! I wish GTI didn have the soundaktor but had better tires!

Stopped by the dealership to disable the soundaktor. I was told it will take an hour and I had to pay $105. PURE JOKE!

Last edited:

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I don't mind the soundaktor pretty much at all. I turned the volume down to zero though, but I find it's not bad to have on a low level volume in sport mode.

I find it interesting honestly, it's a way to not spend the extra money on an exhaust if you don't feel like spending the money on something that makes no power, or you can go around driving like....well, you're pretty much the only one who knows what is going on. That's pretty cool, and then you can go back to silent mode if you wish.

I just think it's too loud as configured stock.

Not trying to call you out, but I find it almost hilarious how many people complain about the soundaktor and the noise of makes, then spend a ton of money on an exhaust which does the same thing overall. (make noise and and deliver no performance).

Both are cool, they need to be tweaked a bit to taste.

ALSO wow $105 when it takes about 3 minutes to do including computer start up lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Oh, if anyone is curious, I had it turned down to about 14.9-20% max when I was running it. (stock exhaust and intake at the time)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't mind the soundaktor pretty much at all. I turned the volume down to zero though, but I find it's not bad to have on a low level volume in sport mode.

I find it interesting honestly, it's a way to not spend the extra money on an exhaust if you don't feel like spending the money on something that makes no power, or you can go around driving like....well, you're pretty much the only one who knows what is going on. That's pretty cool, and then you can go back to silent mode if you wish.

Not trying to call you out, but I find it almost hilarious how many people complain about the soundaktor and the noise of makes, then spend a ton of money on an exhaust which does the same thing overall. (make noise and and deliver no performance).

ALSO wow $105 when it takes about 3 minutes to do including computer start up lol

I agree.
The idea behind the dislike for the soundaktor is that it's "fake" and an exhaust is "real."
I don't mind the soundaktor at all.
Manufacturers are not going to produce cars with less sound deadening so we can hear the exhaust and engine sounds (along with road noise, outside noise etc.) like they used to.
Especially when the car itself - Golf in our case - is also sold as a Golf.
Unless they spec the GTI to have less sound deadening and/or a much louder exhaust.
VW doesn't think that's the way to go, and neither do I.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Its horrible, and I can't believe it took me a year to disable it. I just turned it off with OBDeleven the other day. I couldn't be happier. The car sounds great as is! No need to add fake sound!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

VW is spending money on a device to induce artificial noise in cabin and want to reduce cost by installing crappy tires on the vehicle. Thats my concern. Atleast when i buy a vehicle like GTI, i expect a decent set of tires from the factory.

PS: Iam placing an order for aftermarket exhausts this weekend ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I agree.
The idea behind the dislike for the soundaktor is that it's "fake" and an exhaust is "real."
I don't mind the soundaktor at all.
Manufacturers are not going to produce cars with less sound deadening so we can hear the exhaust and engine sounds (along with road noise, outside noise etc.) like they used to.
Especially when the car itself - Golf in our case - is also sold as a Golf.
Unless they spec the GTI to have less sound deadening and/or a much louder exhaust.
VW doesn't think that's the way to go, and neither do I.

I strongly agree with you, especially when the noise it makes isn't "fake" it's just amplified real noise. The VOLUME is the thing I think that's the problem with the soundaktor, not the thing itself.

VW is spending money on a device to induce artificial noise in cabin and want to reduce cost by installing crappy tires on the vehicle. Thats my concern. Atleast when i buy a vehicle like GTI, i expect a decent set of tires from the factory.

PS: Iam placing an order for aftermarket exhausts this weekend ?

:D what exhaust are you getting lol, I didn't say I was AGAINST that, I bought and ran the Cobb exhaust for a week or so (sold it only because I like the stock sound AND more importantly, I'm teaching myself to weld so I want to cut up a factory exhaust soon and play with it).

As for tires......it pretty much doesn't matter what brand of car I buy, they ALL put on very mass market tire options, so first mod I do with every car is to buy new tires week 1 if not an extra set of wheels and a set of summer + winter tires lol.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I strongly agree with you, especially when the noise it makes isn't "fake" it's just amplified real noise. The VOLUME is the thing I think that's the problem with the soundaktor, not the thing itself.

Soundaktor (German for "sound actuator") is a vehicle audio system used to simulate engine noise in the cabin of some Volkswagen automobiles.

Simulate being the key word.

dpfaber

Kei,
Can you explain how this works? I pulled the hockey puck out and looked at it, it appears similar to a speaker driver with no paper cone. This makes sense if it is essentially using the windshield as a speaker cone. But how is the source signal input and where is the amplification? Is there a microphone device and a DSP/amp hidden in the engine compartment? Anyway, I am happier with the engine/exhaust/induction noise I get in the cabin without this device. I don't hear much mechanical noise so there is no need to drown it out with exhaust and I would not want a louder cabin noise level. I would be OK with a louder exhaust or more turbo whine if that was the price for more power and better response, but I never understood adding noise for no reason. When I ride my motorcycle with a low-restriction performance exhaust I usually wear hearing protection.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
:D what exhaust are you getting lol, I didn't say I was AGAINST that, I bought and ran the Cobb exhaust for a week or so (sold it only because I like the stock sound AND more importantly, I'm teaching myself to weld so I want to cut up a factory exhaust soon and play with it).

As for tires......it pretty much doesn't matter what brand of car I buy, they ALL put on very mass market tire options, so first mod I do with every car is to buy new tires week 1 if not an extra set of wheels and a set of summer + winter tires lol.

After a lot of research, i have planned to go with AWE track exhaust and stock downpipe combo.

I am on the way back home after picking up some tires from tire rack distribution center. I work for a tire manufacturer and i get awesome pricing on our tires ✌