GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
It doesn't get "bent" from not "being careful"... The metal coating on the plastic frame base separates due to a design/manufacturing flaw and you're left with a hidden razor...
That's fine, but how do you know its not separating due to constant touching and rubbing of objects being constantly removed from the cubby?

Last edited:

cb1111

All y'all (that is the correct plural of "y'all" which is singular - just ask anyone from Louisiana...) need to file a complaint with NHTSA - even if VW replaced the part gratis.

Once there are 150 or so complaints, then NHTSA can be petitioned to open an investigation which will result in VW taking action.

J4cq

Car(s)
Golf R 2017
I’ve just sliced my fingers twice in 1 week after having no problems for 3 years. The first wasn’t so bad but it bled a bit... but tonight’s one has properly sliced into my pinky 😖
The metal part doesn’t look raised or damaged in any way. I normally store my phone in there and reached in to grab it.. got a fright on the way out as it got caught which probably made it slice deeper.
Going to call the dealer in the morning.. but I think a bit of tape is going to be the way to go

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
This is nuts! Has anyone narrowed the model years affected? All?

As others have said, people need to report this to the NHTSA as it should be a recall. Do not rely on your dealer to report.

cb1111

As others have said, people need to report this to the NHTSA as it should be a recall. Do not rely on your dealer to report.
There is no reason (and no procedure) for a dealer to report defects to NHTSA. It is up to the consumer to report this.

The good news is that VW will replace the trim bits and I'd certainly get it fixed - even if I'd put a bit of tape or something on over it later.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I bought a replacement myself and installed it to avoid the hassle. It allowed me to take a close look at my old one, and from what I could tell, it has to do with the sharp edge of the plastic mold that the metal is covering. I applied a strip of Tesa tape over the edge on my replacement. You can’t see it when it’s installed. Hopefully it will help prevent a recurrence.

Attachments

• ACE822DB-08AF-4C3F-869E-369B619A814E.jpeg
    ACE822DB-08AF-4C3F-869E-369B619A814E.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 165

J4cq

Car(s)
Golf R 2017

I’m in Australia so I’ll report it to our version of the NHTSA for sure.

arebeeyo

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk7
Have had this happen as well. Somewhat reassuring that it seems to be a common problem. My 2015 GTI was bought second hand from an Australian BMW dealer two years ago... has anyone in a similar situation had any success getting this repaired by VW?

Last edited:

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Thanks for this thread. It at the very least made me check mines to prevent slices. From what I felt, the center area of the plastic wasn't really sharp. It actually felt rounded towards the end so I don't think I could accidently slip on that. The sides however do feel rather sharp but I don't think my hand would ever traverse around those areas... Not sure but I'm not all that worried overall. The way I reach into the nook I don't really even get anywhere close to that... Of course I could come back to this thread in a couple years showing off some cool new stitches, who knows, lol.

cs1228

Car(s)
None
Wow this happened to my gf as well when she borrowed my car. She sliced her finger pretty badly a huge chunk came off. Will reach out to dealer for a remedy and also get into contact with NHTSA. This is insane.

cs1228

Car(s)
None
Dealer wouldn't replace it out of warranty, says it will be $300 out of pocket. Guess have to call VWOA indeed. Again, this is insane for a mass consumer vehicle.

IMG_8194.jpg