GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Same issue, sliced my pinky wide open on the metal part above the shifter. I don’t think this is just related to VW but to every car that has metal coated plastic. The metal and plastic expand and contract at different rates and over time it just breaks up the glue and starts flaking.

branedamag1

Same issue, sliced my pinky wide open on the metal part above the shifter. I don’t think this is just related to VW but to every car that has metal coated plastic. The metal and plastic expand and contract at different rates and over time it just breaks up the glue and starts flaking.

Cut my thumb the same way. I called VWoA to see what they might do, because the car is slightly out of warranty.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
thats a scratch.... man up

Apart from this being a useless, non-value adding, narrow-minded comment, OP wasn't really complaining. He was just asking if anyone else had this problem, so... yeah. So ends my non-value adding comment.

Its the intrawebs, trolling is way of life.. Learn some When you are done licking his wounds like a little %#^* you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayum shit got real son! As a tech, the amount of cuts, scrapes and bruises I get on a daily basis are extreme (compared to other professions). That being said I would never belittle the injuries of another.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Removing the headliner on a 2013 Beetle (to replace the sun shade), I sliced my knuckles and one finger open. Bleed four times in all. Didn't notice until the sweat running out of my gloves was red. Normal day in the life of a tech though. I have deep slices in my arms from another job this week.

GTIjush

Passed Driver's Ed
Its the intrawebs, trolling is way of life.. Learn some When you are done licking his wounds like a little %#^* you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww seems like someone got a widdle upset :(. Deep breaths, bud. It's just the "intrawebs" after all, so maybe “man up”? lol.

The Tortoise

My 2013 Golf GT has done the same - I cut my
This is clearly a design fault and is dangerous on an adult - imagine a child gets hurt by this...

This morning my 8 year old sliced open his finger on this trim, and in the process bent it back a bit.

I called the dealership and they said bring it in, we'll look at it, and most likely it'll be fixed under warranty. I asked if they've seen this before and they said yes.

He was rummaging through the car looking for loose change, so there's a lesson in there somewhere.

cb1111

This morning my 8 year old sliced open his finger on this trim, and in the process bent it back a bit.

I called the dealership and they said bring it in, we'll look at it, and most likely it'll be fixed under warranty. I asked if they've seen this before and they said yes.

He was rummaging through the car looking for loose change, so there's a lesson in there somewhere.
And did you report it to NHTSA?

Of course not, because it is far easier to moan about it here. If it isn't reported, then VW can't be held responsible because NHTSA has no complaints. To date, NHTSA has two reports of injuries.

The Tortoise - this is NOT directed at you, but I'm using this as an example. You should report it to Canadian authorities

While some may feel that a drop of blood isn't a big deal, there are reports here about more significant injuries.

The Tortoise

Hey, no offence taken.

As per your post, I sent an e-mail to the Canadian department of Motor Vehicle Safety. I'll let you know what they come back with.

And I also agree that significant, and potentially permanent, injuries could result from this. The cut on my son's hand was pretty deep.

The Tortoise

Transport Canada got back to me with this:

We would like to advise that a defect is qualified as safety related only if its origin lies within the design, manufacturing, assembly stage, or must interfere with the operation of the vehicle. The defect must also be present in a group of similar vehicles, and must directly endanger the safety of a person (driver, passenger, occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclist and other road users). Also note that the problem caused by the defect must occur with little or no warning and not be due to everyday wear and tear, a lack of proper maintenance, or negligence on the part of the owner.

Pretty sure they don't care.

cb1111

Transport Canada got back to me with this:

We would like to advise that a defect is qualified as safety related only if its origin lies within the design, manufacturing, assembly stage, or must interfere with the operation of the vehicle. The defect must also be present in a group of similar vehicles, and must directly endanger the safety of a person (driver, passenger, occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclist and other road users). Also note that the problem caused by the defect must occur with little or no warning and not be due to everyday wear and tear, a lack of proper maintenance, or negligence on the part of the owner.

Pretty sure they don't care.
No, it really wasn't directed at you.

At this point it sounds like you got a form email as a response. Here's how I would respond.

Thank you for your response. I'd like to provide additional information for your investigation into this safety defect.

I believe that any interior trim piece that draws blood during normal operation is a safety defect.

There are a multitude of similar instances reported on various internet forums that identify the source of the issue as a design/manufacturing defect and that it poses a significant hazard to the driver and passengers.

This defect is not readily visible and - when raised with the manufacturer - is repaired under warranty.

What is important to note is that it is a common defect, most VW dealers have seen this problem AND it poses a danger to the occupants. VW corporate, however, does not appear to have done anything to modify the design to reduce the hazard.

Perhaps you want to include a picture of the injury so they know it isn't just a finger stick.

I would also file the complaint with NHTSA - yes, you're in the great white north but the internet doesn't know that and it is an issue that affects US cars as well.

To the group - please file your complaints with NHTSA and Transport Canada. If you post back here that you've reported it, then I can monitor it like I did with the Mk5 third brake light issue and the ice buildup problem and hopefully bring it to a similar resolution.

The Tortoise's post brings to light how serious this could be. Imagine a child dragging their wrist over that piece and getting a gash that catches a vein.

Most occupant safety regs came about because a few people complained about a hazard.

Of course, you can say that government shouldn't get involved in something this trivial (we heard that with the third brake light issue) but it is obvious that the manufacturer isn't going to be fixing this themselves without a nudge from the regulators.

Waxy

Glad I found this post. Purchased a used 2016 golf and sliced two fingers very bad. Felt like a prick at first, then the horror show. I was digging something out of the console above the shift knob. Dealer it is.