GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
There should probably be a class-action lawsuit over this. You can't just design something that cuts people's hands open on a regular basis.

Harold

Let me know what you find out at the dealer. Have same issue in my 2017 I just bought 3 weeks ago. Figured I was out of warranty so did not want to waste gas to drive to the dealer just to be told that they would not cover it.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Let me know what you find out at the dealer. Have same issue in my 2017 I just bought 3 weeks ago. Figured I was out of warranty so did not want to waste gas to drive to the dealer just to be told that they would not cover it.

Frankly, that's really no way to handle it. You bought the car 3 weeks ago, used or not, it should not be able to cut you open from "new to you". I'd give a call, ask to speak with a service advisor directly, and outline that you just bought the car, that you've noticed this dangerous defect, and you would like it rectified. If they give you pushback open a case with VWOA.

cb1111

Frankly, that's really no way to handle it. You bought the car 3 weeks ago, used or not, it should not be able to cut you open from "new to you". I'd give a call, ask to speak with a service advisor directly, and outline that you just bought the car, that you've noticed this dangerous defect, and you would like it rectified. If they give you pushback open a case with VWOA.
Yep. The dealer will take care of it. If not, a call to VWOA will resolve it.

Waxy

The dealer did not question the claim. It does turn out I'm in the warranty still for 10k more miles, but they told me they would do it even if I was not. I'm just hoping they changed something about the part so my car does not try to murder me again.

dwoodring

Car(s)
2016 Mk7
I love my MK7 GTI but today as I was pulling my wallet out of the center console storage compartment, the silver trim piece in front of the shifter boot caught my hand and sliced it open. At first I thought it was just a scratch but when I looked at my hand it was dripping with blood. After rushing into the closest Giant to stop the bleeding and to purchase bandages, I later came out to inspect the car and noticed that the trim piece was slightly deformed which exposed the razor sharp edge. I was pretty shocked and now I'm worried it's going to happen again to me or my family even if I take it to the dealership and have them replace the piece. It seems to be a design flaw. What do you guys think? Has anyone else noticed this?

Pictures in this album. I took the pictures of my hand several hours later to show it wasn't just a tiny scratch. Warning, some blood.

Oh my god the exact same thing happened to me the other day. I sliced my finger deep while pulling my hand out of the front phone compartment. I love my Mk7 but how can VW fuck that up so badly...

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
So who else has closed the little hatch since new and pretended the little cubby hole of death doesnt exist (and cried about the lost USB port)?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So who else has closed the little hatch since new and pretended the little cubby hole of death doesnt exist (and cried about the lost USB port)?

Not me. Dealer replaced the razor sharp trim piece under warranty after slicing my fingers open four times in a year.

Rotwagen

Car(s)
Gti 2017
After 2 cuts in one week, I looked up to see if anyone encountered this same issue on this forum, and after my surprise wore off, I made an appointment w VW. It turns out that the part is covered by the 3 year/ 36k warranty, but the crazy part is that they can’t simply replace the broken frame/ bezel (which I could remove myself in less than 3 mins), they will replace the entire shift lever knob, a part that costs $186 plus a cut, pun intended, for the garage for labor...what a ridiculous waste of materials!

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It's one assembly. Technician replaced it in less than ten minutes while parked in the service drive.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Is this just something that takes people off guard when they aren't expecting it, or did some people know about the design flaw, make an effort to avoid it, and still get cut?

I've been seeing these complaints for years, so I've developed a technique for avoiding my hand touching the plastic, even though mine doesn't appear to be sharp.

Having said that, I'm probably the next victim. lol

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Is this just something that takes people off guard when they aren't expecting it, or did some people know about the design flaw, make an effort to avoid it, and still get cut?

I've been seeing these complaints for years, so I've developed a technique for avoiding my hand touching the plastic, even though mine doesn't appear to be sharp.

My theory its happening to people that place items in the cubby and just pull it without being careful (for example, pull your cellphone, the cellphone case tugs on the plastic trim and slowly pulls it back until one day its bent enough to slice someone). One day, out of habit, they get sliced. For me, I can touch the plastic trim with my hand, but I carefully pull whatever is in there to avoid tugging on it.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

That trim piece in that spot shouldn't be susceptible to becoming that sharp in the first place.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
My theory its happening to people that place items in the cubby and just pull it without being careful (for example, pull your cellphone, the cellphone case tugs on the plastic trim and slowly pulls it back until one day its bent enough to slice someone). One day, out of habit, they get sliced. For me, I can touch the plastic trim with my hand, but I carefully pull whatever is in there to avoid tugging on it.
It doesn't get "bent" from not "being careful"... The metal coating on the plastic frame base separates due to a design/manufacturing flaw and you're left with a hidden razor...

carlcan

Car(s)
17 Alltrack
I ordered just the silver trim ring piece from a vendor on AliExpress. Original owner of my 2016 GTI must have cut his hand on this piece, because it had black electrical tape over it when I bought the car. Was very easy to replace