GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sign Assist

Luddite

Ready to race!
Serious (ie non-sarc) question:
What benefit is there to the car recognising traffic signs?
I ask as someone who understands road signs. Why would this be worth paying for?

caravaggio

Passed Driver's Ed
I ask as someone who understands road signs. Why would this be worth paying for?

I don't know how this system actually works, but in theory it could recognise the speed limits adjusting the speed if you have the adaptive cruise control and register where the radars are in the Sat Nav for the next time.

dipth

Ready to race!
It's a weird one to be sure. Yes, on Nav Pro, it can show the speed limit (where known) for the road you are currently travelling on, via it's stored Nav database (nothing to do with sign recognition). It's a pity these signs can't be translated across to the MFD like on the "proper" Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR), as it would then be in your line of sight and you wouldn't have to look across at the Nav screen. It would also make use of the colour MFD screen which at present it prettymuch displaying everything in greyscale, so It would be nice to have a little spash of colour !

That is actually how it works. It doesn't use any built in database of speed limits, it recognizes the signs and displays them on the Nav-unit and in the MFD display.

Unfortunately the sign recognition doesn't do much else than display speed limits in the display, which can of course be practical in case you miss a sign, but it has little purpose aside from this.
Would have been neat though, if the system could change the speed set in the cruise control.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

Heh heh , what option is essential? We can all reverse without a camera, control the heater settings, brake in time, watch what lane we are in, get from a-b, hear the radio, drive around a corner, drive economically or sporty, operate lights and wipers, park the car etc etc, it's not essential, but a nice gimmick if nothing else.

I don't know how this system actually works, but in theory it could recognise the speed limits adjusting the speed if you have the adaptive cruise control and register where the radars are in the Sat Nav for the next time.

Not sure it's that clever or intrusive :eek:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
So no use then?

I'd hae to disagree, one of the things I notice with the xenon lights is that the refelction off roadsigns do cause glare so much that you can easily miss some road signs

On this video some signs are not identifiable quickly, that said I don't know how many road signs the sytems identifies.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
http://youtu.be/UdRQxs-N67w

That is vw's take on it. It makes sense in Germany where there are different speed limits at certain times and when it is raining. I could see it being useful at reduced speed limits at road works.

lawrie1

Ready to race!
That is actually how it works. It doesn't use any built in database of speed limits, it recognizes the signs and displays them on the Nav-unit and in the MFD display.

Unfortunately the sign recognition doesn't do much else than display speed limits in the display, which can of course be practical in case you miss a sign, but it has little purpose aside from this.
Would have been neat though, if the system could change the speed set in the cruise control.
\\

It picks up temporary speed restrictions due to road works etc.
It also recognises speed restrictions on overhead motorway signs due to weather, accident or other temporary restrictions.

The speed signs in the sat nav database are, at best, 12 months out of date.

aqxavier

I did the activation of the Road sign recognition, but does not appear any sign ...
The MFD always displays this message.

Anyone have any tips ??

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I did the activation of the Road sign recognition, but does not appear any sign ...
The MFD always displays this message.

Anyone have any tips ??

You already asked this in another thread, did you confirm if the car has the camera on the mirror? :confused: