GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I upgrade my front sway bar?

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Anyone upgraded their front sway bar? Was it worth it? Not much info out there other than it's a PITA but the front subframe is coming off anyways. I anticipate a rougher ride and noise from the aftermarket end links but I don't mind so long as the pros outweigh the cons. Currently running the EMD RSB (23.8mm) on moog end links. Seems like common sense to get it done while the subframe is out but I don't want to mindlessly toss money at something either if it's going to understeer even more or not make a difference.

<----7.5 R

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't have an R but in my GTI just installing a RSB neutralized the understeer. I would guess that you would increase understeer if you installed a larger FSB.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Subjective based on the rest of your set up and driving style.

I have SuperPro LCA, H&R 26mm RSB, B14 and that combo sticks like glue and is perfectly neutral IMO.

Granted with junk tires it could oversteer, but a fresh set went on with the new suspension mods (LCA & B14 are recent additions).

My old setup was VWR springs on OEM struts/shocks which was prone to oversteer when pushed. That setup could’ve used more bar up front, but higher spring rates did the job better IMO and I’m happy with the current setup I held out for. Although much higher spring rates on a more track oriented coil over would’ve been cool I’m happy with the results for the money with what I’ve got.

In short, no I don’t think you should do a FSB, but that’s a decision you’ll have to make based on goals and future plans.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's been said that updating the FSB requires messing with camber, but I suppose that would depend on your end goal if that's a problem.

If you're going to drop the subframe, might as well look into a dead set kit install while you're under there.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
It's been said that updating the FSB requires messing with camber, but I suppose that would depend on your end goal if that's a problem.
I don't think this is useful. "It's been said" is a huge red red flag.

What a FSB does:
-Resists roll on the end of the car it's installed on
-Affects the other side of the car and cross-tire, so a larger FSB puts more weight on the rear of the car in a turn. That's how a FSB can "create" understeer. What is actually happening is the outside tire resists roll and the resulting force is transferred to the inside rear, possibly creating more rear grip.

However, on a GTI, a FSB can create grip at the front of the car, depending on the ride-height and associated movement about the camber curve.

If a GTI is too low, and understeers in corners, adding a FSB can add front-grip by not allowing as much body roll, and keeping the suspension in a position to make grip, vs continuing to reduce camber as the suspension compresses.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So is it “recommended” to have BOTH a rear and front bar?
[throws grenade and runs away]

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
But do you know why?
So, and I’m going off of the fact it’s a daily driver, it’s not exactly needed because I’m not pushing the car in turns to where I’d make the body roll enough.....or really less oversteer?

If you already upgraded your rear bar, adding a front will make it a go kart. If you have an oem rear bar then leave it alone.
I like go karts .... have a eibach RSB currently

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I started off with a RSB and then added a FSB, then later added SuperPro LCA's. TLDR: It's amazing.

I went with HR 26mm front and HR 24mm rear which is their kit. If you do go with a front bar I would STRONGLY recommend going with a reputable brand, and people will have their opinions, but I would go solid. Absolutely avoid the Eurocode front. Last thing you want is having to dig the front bar out because it broke.