GOLFMKV

Sell GTI 2 door to get E39 540i/M5?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Starting MSRP
$54,100

17 years of non-depreciation (ex-inflation). Must be nice.
Wagons are like that. I've got a friend with a 328i wagon that's worth about 2x the equivalent coupe or sedan. My other friend with a B5 S4 Avant has a similar deal.

If that 5er were a manual, I'd seriously consider the Cincinnati premium.

Harold

I know they are becoming crazy popular (just look at completed bringatrailer auctions) but personally I'm not a big fan of the BMW V8s from that era. I like my 2002 530i better since it is much lighter in the front and has the fabulous inline 6. Don't have the V8 power but have plenty for highway cruising. If I want to push hard on a curvy road, that is not the car I would pick anyway.

As other posters stated, those cars are nearly 20 years old now and will need significant maintenance. Have done it all on mine but currently way behind with other family/work/exercise time constraints. Depending on where the car lived, the plastic pieces may have become brittle and required replacement any time you disassemble. Like working on it though since they are well engineered. Anything other than a low mileage garage queen will have some serious signs of use by now and that will be much harder and expensive to fix. So be prepared to pay a premium for a good car.

But the heart wants what the heart wants. If you really have the urge to experience an e39 in your lifetime, waiting longer only makes it more difficult as they continue to age. But you will pay a price in time and money. Upside is that they will probably not depreciate much more and may even continue to increase in price. Life is short...

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
I owned a 2000 BMW 540i with the M-Sport package, 6-speed. I sold it in 2007 (with about 100,000 miles) when I bought my 2008 Corvette (which I still have). The 540i was the best car that I ever owned. I still regret selling it to this day. It was fast, rode nice, and handled like a sports car. It drove at 120mph like most cars drive at 60mph. It was also extremely reliable - believe it or not. I never had to fix anything....just replaced the brakes once.

With all of that being said, I wouldn't sell my MK7 GTI to buy a 20 year old 540i. I'd buy a newer 2 or 3 series. They don't hold their value very well, for some reason. My son has 228i, with a JB4. That thing is frickin' fast.

BMW 540i 4.JPG

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Keep what you have. One of the greatest things about the GTI is that it does the normal life stuff so well. If anything, I'd ditch the 128i and use the funds to pay for grad school. You can pick another third car up when you get done.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Well, there was a ‘98 540i local to me in manual that I went to check out. A lot of work was done to it including an entire suspension refresh, and the body and interior were in good shape for the age. However these things needed to be addressed:
Cooling system refresh
Timing chain guides and tensioner
Glad I brought my floorjack to notice the leaking oil.
brakes needed replacing
Steering wheel had play
Clutch pedal was weirdly light for a BMW, maybe signs clutch will need replacing.
Pixelation issues on radio unit
Rear driver window motor needs replacing
Sunroof operation needs tending
Fluid flush needed for trans, diff, coolant, power steering and brakes.
power steering reservoir had a lot of residue on it.

Everyone was right, this or an M5 is good to have at a later date when I don’t need it to be my primary mode of transportation and as a fun car to work on and enjoy.