GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Save your stock flywheel - 6mt owners

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
My clutch isn't slipping but now I'm wondering about the flywheel.....

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I think I'm going to take a trip to Haus of Dub in Ohio once I see any slipping on the clutch, so far I have not seen any with just the JB1.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There was a fellow with a low output stage1 slipping...that is nearly what the JB1 makes...and jeez gn4rwhals...didn't you just have 19F the other day? I'm going to the auto show up there and couldn't believe MI's temps lately! Your car is probably just eating up the road with power (if it has traction)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I think I'm going to take a trip to Haus of Dub in Ohio once I see any slipping on the clutch, so far I have not seen any with just the JB1.

That seems to be the theme. Pm'd

There was a fellow with a low output stage1 slipping...that is nearly what the JB1 makes...and jeez gn4rwhals...didn't you just have 19F the other day? I'm going to the auto show up there and couldn't believe MI's temps lately! Your car is probably just eating up the road with power (if it has traction)

Low of 3 degree's reported for Sunday. Welcome to our part of the country. What day are you going? Might be downstairs showing off our FSAE car.

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
His looks abnormally messed up for the amount of miles and slippage. I'd say take this picture with a grain of salt.

I purchased the car with 300 miles on it. I'm wondering if it was treated like a stepchild?

First trouble I've had with any manual transmission, and my Subaru's were all tuned, at minimum.

I love 4th gear highway pulls, but only raced it from a dig a handful of times. The worst slipping I'd get would be WOT from 2nd to 3rd gear. It just wouldn't grab 3rd at all, yet still held well for the pulls on the highway.

I don't want to cause alarm, or scare people, but I'd like to have my loss help others if possible. That's my sole reason for this thread.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I purchased the car with 300 miles on it. I'm wondering if it was treated like a stepchild?

First trouble I've had with any manual transmission, and my Subaru's were all tuned, at minimum.

I love 4th gear highway pulls, but only raced it from a dig a handful of times. The worst slipping I'd get would be WOT from 2nd to 3rd gear. It just wouldn't grab 3rd at all, yet still held well for the pulls on the highway.

I don't want to cause alarm, or scare people, but I'd like to have my loss help others if possible. That's my sole reason for this thread.

Well your Subie's don't gain 100 HP from a tune lol. Don't take this the wrong way at all but are you sure it was slipping that happened in 2nd-3rd? Seems like a weird gear for it to be happening. Reason I ask is because to some, wheel spin and clutch slip can be very similar and you definitely won't be used to wheel spin in 2nd after you've been in Subie's for a while.

Edit* I bet most of those miles were test driving miles in which case they were probably VERY hard miles, but still that's no excuse for that much hot spots.

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
Well your Subie's don't gain 100 HP from a tune lol. Don't take this the wrong way at all but are you sure it was slipping that happened in 2nd-3rd? Seems like a weird gear for it to be happening. Reason I ask is because to some, wheel spin and clutch slip can be very similar and you definitely won't be used to wheel spin in 2nd after you've been in Subie's for a while.

Edit* I bet most of those miles were test driving miles in which case they were probably VERY hard miles, but still that's no excuse for that much hot spots.

Does wheelspin in second gear hurt the flywheel? If so, I know why there's so many hot spots.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

Car is put away, has been for almost 2 months now.

Last year when it was winter it was stock with snows, but I can tell you when it was 45-50F the car was outright scary when mashing 3rd gear.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Oh and my car is in line with the high output APR tune, actually my dyno was in 3rd so I assume the dyno was low because of the 6MT gearing.

Dyno 3rd for DSG.

Dyno 4th for 6MT.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Thanks for the thread Stopsweatinme!

My clutch has begun slipping as well, in low-rev high-load conditions. Still debating going smfw or staying with the dual-mass...

Looking forward to your installed review!

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
Thanks for the thread Stopsweatinme!

My clutch has begun slipping as well, in low-rev high-load conditions. Still debating going smfw or staying with the dual-mass...

Looking forward to your installed review!

Install went great, now I just have to break it in. Highly recommended!

I'm going to be 40 years old this year and I know the chatter of a SMFW would drive me nuts. This is a nice and less expensive kit than the RSR, and it's almost the same thing. My initial impressions of the clutch are in a thread near the top here.

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a way to have this checked out without taking the car apart? Like some kind of an inspection port/opening. I hear a lot of people saying if you have a tune you are going to burn up you clutch. I have had one for about 40,000 miles and mine is running fine. Now after seeing yours I would like to take a look at mine.