GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo IS38ETR - Just Arrived

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Updates on how people are liking this upgrade? MK7 R is one of the options I'm considering for my next car but would want to bump up the performance. I'm coming from a MKV GTI with K04 (305WHP). I'm all over the place with my short list - RS3, Cayman S, Jaguar F-type, M3/M4 - but honestly I really like my GTI and think I'd appreciate the familiarity of the MK7. I just want to get away from FWD and have some more power. Anyway, just been researching the turbo upgrade options. I want to keep it relatively simple without having to do supplemental fueling like the APR Stg3+ kit.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Updates on how people are liking this upgrade? MK7 R is one of the options I'm considering for my next car but would want to bump up the performance. I'm coming from a MKV GTI with K04 (305WHP). I'm all over the place with my short list - RS3, Cayman S, Jaguar F-type, M3/M4 - but honestly I really like my GTI and think I'd appreciate the familiarity of the MK7. I just want to get away from FWD and have some more power. Anyway, just been researching the turbo upgrade options. I want to keep it relatively simple without having to do supplemental fueling like the APR Stg3+ kit.

Out of your short list, the R is a clear choice, IMO, and there are many hybrid turbo's to choose from that can operate without having to upgrade the fueling. But, without doing so, you are missing out on the full potential of those turbo's.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

If you're going to run a larger turbo on an R you should just have supplemental fueling built into the budget. I didn't and despite other people getting away with it we never got my car running right without it.

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed

In the end it depends on your power goals, I have a MK7 R and was among the first to get the Revo IS38 ETR upgrade at one of the local Revo dealers down here in South Florida. As I recall I still had to do some fuel upgrades with the kit, I want to say it was just the hpfp at the time.

The car really woke up vs being stage 2 APR. After a short while I wanted more power as I had not yet reached my end goal of 500whp (front wheel dyno), after investing in making the car E85 ready which required additional fuel upgrades, the installation of a secondary rail and if I recall, a new lpfp and tune the car still did not reach my goal and this is were things got tricky, the DSG clutches took a crap with only 12k miles, it doesn’t matter what others say the DQ250 or at least in my case was only reliable to handle stage 2 power levels, I ended up doing a rebuild of the DSG with upgraded clutches which is not a small investment.

If you ask me my goal of 500whp might be met with this kit if I use meth and go with a more agressive tune, I personally thought that it would be easier...

In retrospective I should have sold the R and got an RS3 or better still a TTRS, if you want to go with an R then go with a MK7.5 as it has a better transmission even though I personally think the MK7 looks better but, thats a different debate lol

Good luck with what you decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
HPFP, LPFP, and injectors are fine. I just don't want to fuck with adding port injection like the APR 7163 kit requires. So you're saying the IS38ETR needs more?

If you're going to run a larger turbo on an R you should just have supplemental fueling built into the budget. I didn't and despite other people getting away with it we never got my car running right without it.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd be satisfied with 400-450hp at the wheels - especially if the stock DSG can handle that. I don't track my car and rarely if ever launch it. Initially I thought I wanted an RS3 and be done with a simple tune. But I really like my 4-door hatch. Every time I walk out to the parking lot and see my GTI I say damn that's a nice looking car, even for being 12 years old. I could have a near new R and put $10k into it for less than a lightly used RS3. Plus considering insurance and annual property tax the difference really starts to add up. TTRS would be fantastic and in that case I'd keep my GTI for a DD but now we are really blowing past my preferred budget.

In retrospective I should have sold the R and got an RS3 or better still a TTRS, if you want to go with an R then go with a MK7.5 as it has a better transmission even though I personally think the MK7 looks better but thats a different debate lol

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
HPFP, LPFP, and injectors are fine. I just don't want to fuck with adding port injection like the APR 7163 kit requires. So you're saying the IS38ETR needs more?

Adding the secondary rail has its benefits as it keeps your valves clean. In this case you do not need to add this with the Revo IS38ETR kit, only if you have plans to use E85 which my understanding is, you don’t. This in part is why Revo took so much time to test and launch this kit in the US, as we know the euro R’s already come with 8 injectors and they wanted to be sure what type of upgrades we would need for our market

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd be satisfied with 400-450hp at the wheels - especially if the stock DSG can handle that. I don't track my car and rarely if ever launch it. Initially I thought I wanted an RS3 and be done with a simple tune. But I really like my 4-door hatch. Every time I walk out to the parking lot and see my GTI I say damn that's a nice looking car, even for being 12 years old. I could have a near new R and put $10k into it for less than a lightly used RS3. Plus considering insurance and annual property tax the difference really starts to add up. TTRS would be fantastic and in that case I'd keep my GTI for a DD but now we are really blowing past my preferred budget.

As I recall ~425whp was what my car dynoed the first time on a front wheel dyno, 93 octanes and at sea level.

Regarding the DSG many say that this should hold, my issues as I shared started after making the car E85 capable and dynoing at just shy of 480whp. My recommendation here is that you tune your TCU with either UM or TVS

Agree from a budget perspective you will have more money at hand and if your goal is to be within the 400-450whp you’ll be able to make it with this kit on an R [emoji16]

I went to buy some parts yesterday for my other car at a local audi dealer, they have a black TTRS on display and the car just looks awesome [emoji16]

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Adding the secondary rail has its benefits as it keeps your valves clean. In this case you do not need to add this with the Revo IS38ETR kit.

I understand a secondary rail has benefits as you move towards the limits of the turbo. And eventually maybe I'd go there but not likely. I'm looking to stay comfortably within the limits of the stock bottom end and DSG. Sounds like the IS38ETR is a good simple route.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand a secondary rail has benefits as you move towards the limits of the turbo. And eventually maybe I'd go there but not likely. I'm looking to stay comfortably within the limits of the stock bottom end and DSG. Sounds like the IS38ETR is a good simple route.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes it is, the revo tune is conservative to ensure the reliability of the stock engine. If thats the route you’ll go a few comments so you save some money, if you plan to go in stages, which is what I probably shouldn’t have done, make sure the majority of the bolt ons are Revo ie charge-pipes, intake system and preferably their downpipe. In any case I managed to keep on my car the APR Intercooler, the fluidamper and the APR catted downpipe but the other goodies had to go...

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd be going straight to the final objective. If I did this and went with Revo I'd likely package up the majority of the supporting stuff from them as well, unless there is a specific reason to mix and match some things but I get the impression they developed the entire package which keeps it simple.

Yes it is, the revo tune is conservative to ensure the reliability of the stock engine. If thats the route you’ll go a few comments so you save some money, if you plan to go in stages, which is what I probably shouldn’t have done, make sure the majority of the bolt ons are Revo ie charge-pipes, intake system and preferably their downpipe. In any case I managed to keep on my car the APR Intercooler, the fluidamper and the APR catted downpipe but the other goodies had to go...

Last edited: