GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Springs on MK7.5

Nargil

Hey guys, I just got my GTI SE a few weeks ago and I'm already thinking about lowering the car with new springs. However, the quotes that I got from two different performance shops for labor are very higher than I can afford and to be honest they seem really overpriced. Does anyone know an affordable option for replacing springs? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191206_144554.jpg
    20191206_144554.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Surely there's someone in the Denver/Broomfield area who works out of their garage or some enthusiast who wants to give you a hand. Check local CL and FB groups? TBH, the rear end is pretty easy and you could probably DIY with no experience after watching a video. The front end is considerably more involved.

Make sure that when you replace the springs you reference the installation guide laid out here by forum member Hammersticks so that you know what other things you should replace at minimum.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/
In the end, don't spend more than you can afford. Wait until you can afford it and do it correctly.

Nargil

Surely there's someone in the Denver/Broomfield area who works out of their garage or some enthusiast who wants to give you a hand. Check local CL and FB groups? TBH, the rear end is pretty easy and you could probably DIY with no experience after watching a video. The front end is considerably more involved.

Make sure that when you replace the springs you reference the installation guide laid out here by forum member Hammersticks so that you know what other things you should replace at minimum.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/
In the end, don't spend more than you can afford. Wait until you can afford it and do it correctly.
I will look into the local groups. Thanks for the tips.
I don't think I will do it myself cause I don't have the right tools or much experience tbh

Last edited:

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Just a heads up, I did my spring install by myself, but went to the dealer to get a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment itself was $159, but they charged me an extra $125 to align ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensor. This sensor is also used to control the automatic braking (Anti-collision) on my SE. It was a dealership that I trust so I don't think they were trying to scam me. The service advisor said if they didn't do the ACC alignment the ACC warning light would constantly be on. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this when doing an alignment on any MK7.5 with the radar sensor on the front?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys, I just got my GTI SE a few weeks ago and I'm already thinking about lowering the car with new springs. However, the quotes that I got from two different performance shops for labor are very higher than I can afford and to be honest they seem really overpriced. Does anyone know an affordable option for replacing springs? Thanks
Either do it yourself or buy someone enough beer to do it for you.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Have you checked all of the local VW/Audi shops? Because there's a lot of them. Most are down my way in Denver but call:
Autobahn Premier Service
Avalon Motorsport
Peak Eurosport
Berg Performance
Mint Performance
etc, etc, etc.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I always wonder how folks are getting $3-400 quotes for this job. I have gotten 2 estimates and $700 seems pretty reasonable for a dealer/high-end shop then tack on the $125 alignment.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
It should be a 3/4 hr max and indie shops should do by hour. I paid about 220. I would do it myself as I usually do everything but oil changes. I was lazy and wanted it done while I worked and figured the job is cheap enough. I was quoted from larger performance shops for around 400/500 though and probably due to higher labor rates.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I had mine done for $250, had the brake pads replaced at the same time for $30 more. Gave him $300. Alignment at dealer, $150. Rears needed camber and toe. Fronts only needed toe.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I paid $325 without alignment, so prob $450 all in.

$700 could be reasonable if you’re in a high cost area.

If $700 with alignment is too much for you, you might not want to install springs.

The DCC shocks are about $1,400-$1800.... for parts. A bit cheaper if you can find them new.

If you go too low your shocks could be shot in 1-3 years.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly if you're mechanically adept at all you should be able to do this job. Tools basically required a pretty simple socket set and torque wrench. Spring compressors you can borrow from an auto parts store for free and just gotta have some 2x4 and a jack