GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Springs on MK7.5

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't replace springs without upgrading the shocks to handle lowering springs. This has been discussed ad-nauseum for decades. Lowering springs + stock shocks/struts that aren't designed for the shorter spring travel & higher spring rate are a lousy match and will be beaten to a premature death. So there's an additional expense you need to consider.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Honestly if you're mechanically adept at all you should be able to do this job. Tools basically required a pretty simple socket set and torque wrench. Spring compressors you can borrow from an auto parts store for free and just gotta have some 2x4 and a jack
Oh God. Don't spread that hackjob way of doing this with a 2x4. Pull the axle on the driver's side and both control arms down and save yourself a ton of time. You don't need spring compressors that way either.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Oh God. Don't spread that hackjob way of doing this with a 2x4. Pull the axle on the driver's side and both control arms down and save yourself a ton of time. You don't need spring compressors that way either.

I mean true that's the better and right way to do it. Nothing that wrong with people getting creative though and might save you from having to get the 10mm triple square to go in the axle.
Aren't spring compressors still useful for getting the top nut off? Or are you just hulk.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I mean true that's the better and right way to do it. Nothing that wrong with people getting creative though and might save you from having to get the 10mm triple square to go in the axle.
Aren't spring compressors still useful for getting the top nut off? Or are you just hulk.
Guess I just figured everyone has triple squares by this point. Anyone working on vws at least. And an impact gun makes short work of that top bolt

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Guess I just figured everyone has triple squares by this point. Anyone working on vws at least. And an impact gun makes short work of that top bolt

Yea just figured this guys got nothing so just helping source some tools that he needs. Would need an impact prob a 20V impact if not on air so figuring he most likely doesn't have those things.
Although they are good investments if he plans on doing more.

_cruster

Ready to race!
Just a heads up, I did my spring install by myself, but went to the dealer to get a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment itself was $159, but they charged me an extra $125 to align ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensor. This sensor is also used to control the automatic braking (Anti-collision) on my SE. It was a dealership that I trust so I don't think they were trying to scam me. The service advisor said if they didn't do the ACC alignment the ACC warning light would constantly be on. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this when doing an alignment on any MK7.5 with the radar sensor on the front?

...I've never heard of this, never seen a report of it on any forum. I don't know how the adaptive cruise sensor would relate to the alignment in any way.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I recently had new shocks installed all around. I got three quotes. All three are from vw/Audi/BMW shops.

$300
$400
$700

I used the shop that charged me $400 for 4x hours because they were the closest. The alignment fee was $125. The shop that charged $700 told me the estimate is based on "book time" and it might be on 6 hours. They also charge $225 for an alignment because they toss you a fee to use their hunter rack... But then won't do major adjustments unless you really persisted.

Fwiw just replace your entire shock setup too if it's going to cost you $600 to $700. Your going to have to eat that cost twice be 40k miles if you stay on oem shocks with lowering springs

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Not sure how doing more work saves a ton of time. The 2x4 method works great and there's no way it's slower than dealing with the axle and control arms. If you want to call it hack, then OK but it is very efficient imo.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Not sure how doing more work saves a ton of time. The 2x4 method works great and there's no way it's slower than dealing with the axle and control arms. If you want to call it hack, then OK but it is very efficient imo.
It's absolutely faster. Pulling the axle is 6 bolts which takes all of 2 minutes with an impact gun. No skilled technician working in a shop is using the 2x4 method and that's a fact. There's a right way and a wrong way for every job. Forums usually describe the wrong way sadly.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie

I wouldn't describe the axle method as a ton faster. But it is faster those bolts are easy to take off and the better way. I agree that its the right way but I don't see anything wrong with the 2x4 method as there aren't really any risks associated with it.
I recommend it due to his limitation in tools although a triple square set doesn't hurt and will come in handy down the line.
Altho one of my axle flanges leaking some fluid/oil at the holes after I did my clutch. Oops hope it survives.

Nargil

I found a technician with local shop in VW Facebook group chat and he is gonna do it for $200. I just have to do the alignment separately. Just ordered VWR springs today and I'll take the car to him when the springs arrive.I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

A lot of people suggested I do it myself and that it's not difficult. I thought about it but I don't have a garage or any tools for that matter haha

Last edited:

Nargil

Have you checked all of the local VW/Audi shops? Because there's a lot of them. Most are down my way in Denver but call:
Autobahn Premier Service
Avalon Motorsport
Peak Eurosport
Berg Performance
Mint Performance
etc, etc, etc.
I didn't call those. But the two that I called are well-known shops in Denver area and I figured this is just how much they charge in those kinda of shops. They just read of the book. Like 6 hours work and $120 per hour

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
...I've never heard of this, never seen a report of it on any forum. I don't know how the adaptive cruise sensor would relate to the alignment in any way.

Anytime you get a 4 wheel alignment the camera for the collision braking needs to be calibrated again. The price he got is cheap compared to others I've seen.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I found a technician with local shop in VW Facebook group chat and he is gonna do it for $200. I just have to do the alignment separately. Just ordered VWR springs today and I'll take the car to him when the springs arrive.I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

A lot of people suggested I do it myself and that it's not difficult. I thought about it but I don't have a garage or any tools for that matter haha

Drive the car for a couple hundred miles after the install to let the springs "settle". Then go get an alignment. I got mine done for $80.

Doing the job yourself will take you all day...probably more if you're relatively inexperienced and don't have the correct tools. There is a good chance that you'll be struggling with the front struts. For $200...its absolutely worth it to pay someone to do it.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Anytime you get a 4 wheel alignment the camera for the collision braking needs to be calibrated again. The price he got is cheap compared to others I've seen.
That's what they explained to me. If I just had gotten a 2 wheel (front) alignment they wouldn't have had to do the alignment as apparently it has to do with the rear wheels.