GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Renrubicer: Skeletons In The Closet

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Anyone have any thoughts on -> car not getting up to temp = oil consumption, therefore = timing pull and injector duty cycle near max?

I do mostly take short trips, generally sub 20mi round trip. I measured over the course of 1000 miles i lost about 1/3 quart of oil. DIdn't seem like to much for me, i'm used to topping up any vw lol.

Per my tuner, i should definitely address the coolant issue first (which to be fair I should anyway) as that may be the source of a lot of my problems.

Suppose i can see if the engine isn't up to operating temp for most of its running cycle, the piston rings allow (what is it?) blowby of oil, which means there is fine oil mist in the combustion chamber most of the time, which is a weaker air fuel fixture, which commands more fuel from the injectors. no, not seeing any blue smoke from the exhaust.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
You'll have more blowby when your piston to wall clearance is larger, such as when the motor isn't warmed up. Are you seeing high injector duty even at the end of your drive?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
yes, we were getting ~90%+ IDC during tuning, with the car plenty warmed up

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Did some catching up on my maintenance log and found I've put over 7k into this 6k car :ROFLMAO: and it still needs SO MUCH WORK

And only about $1000 of that was purely frivolous, like the front lip, tail lights, short shifter, SPORT rear spoiler (see previous page lol) etc. everything else was in the name of fixing problems lmao

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1000004944.png

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Don't worry though. A $13k MK6 R would need the same $7k to bring it up to the quality where your GTI is.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Or is it time to sell the $6k for $8k and call it $2k profit?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Or is it time to sell the $6k for $8k and call it $2k profit?

How witty, hope you didn't hurt yourself thinking of that sick zinger. Definitely never heard that one before.
Who the heck are you? You just started posting one day as if you've been here all along. Makes me think you're someone who exited and has returned with a different name. Hi boosted!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
says hyundai boy i hear there paying strong for hj's in new hampshire

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Don't worry though. A $13k MK6 R would need the same $7k to bring it up to the quality where your GTI is.
quality being - so close, yet so far? lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I was just trying to make you feel better about having a $13k MKV GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Don't worry though. I bought my MK7.5 with the presumption "Oh, I won't have to put anything into it, I can just carry over everything from my MK7 that I want", and yet I've still managed to put enough money into it where I could have bought an overpriced MK8 R...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah. I tried updating the last years worth of stuff on my "money I've spent on my car log", and got to just about $7.5k, and probably missing a few odds and bobbles on there.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
and that is with fixing NOTHING lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
One could argue the $1,500 I spent on going stage 2 in the last month was fixing the power and tcu tuning...