GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regret not buying Performance Pack?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
@dpfaber +1!

options don't have much, if any, roi upon resell/trade-in.

The Performance Pack will affect resale, maybe not trade in however. It's completely worth it, but I understand if the option packages are set-up to add a lot more $$$ because the PP is bundled with many other things......it's not worth it.

The 2017 Sport really hit the sweet spot with all the options I wanted for a reasonable price (in the US). If they had added the Fender system it would have been 100% perfect, now it's just 99.5% perfect.

The LSD and big brakes are simply amazing. My last car had the LP so that was a must also this time around.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
There differently is a difference in personality and taste between those who think the LP is more important than the PP and vice versa. The car scene has always had the show car and the race car elements. Style and go.

The LP is very cool and all but it adds nada in how the car drives. The brakes and differential make a huge difference in lap times and the brakes will mean the difference between a wreck and not for at least one GTI driver going to work or coming home.

Show or Go; both are equally valid perspectives. I love stunningly beautiful cars but my money went towards the PP and the money I saved not getting the LP is going towards new tires and Endless brake pads...

The stock Halogens are horrible compared to the HID's and the fact that they can turn when cornering is a plus. It's more than cosmetic, and it does affect the way one drives at night. Spend some time in both and you'll wish you had the HID's. I used to think the same as you until my MK5 had HID's, now its a must. LED's would be even better.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The stock Halogens are horrible compared to the HID's and the fact that they can turn when cornering is a plus. It's more than cosmetic, and it does affect the way one drives at night. Spend some time in both and you'll wish you had the HID's. I used to think the same as you until my MK5 had HID's, now its a must. LED's would be even better.

This. I don't know how I ever used to be able to drive at night without cornering lights and adaptive headlights.

slide13

Ready to race!
Yeah, so glad I got the 2017 Sport as it had everything I wanted in a trim package.

I bought it mostly for the LSD and bigger brakes but the LP is so worth it after having it. HID lights and the cornering lights are fantastic and I would never go back after having them.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
The only thing I don't like about my Sport is the amount of brake dust that accumulates on the wheels. Otherwise, I'd opt for it again in a heartbeat.

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing I don't like about my Sport is the amount of brake dust that accumulates on the wheels. Otherwise, I'd opt for it again in a heartbeat.

This! So. Much. Brake. Dust!!!

I bought my '17 really late, so the only manual 5-door GTi left in Ontario was a fully-loaded PP.

The car has tons of stuff I don't use (it parks itself!), but they're "nice to have's" and perhaps will make the car hold better value when we're ready to sell it in a few years.

Also, lots of people on here raving about the dynamic lighting package :rolleyes: pfffftttttt, they don't matter THAT much. Halogen to Xenon is a big jump, but the fact that they turn is a miniscule improvement. Had them on my mk6 too, and no, they don't allow me to drive faster at night LOLOLOL

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
The 5-Door PP up here in Canada was only available on the loaded Autobahn model, so as much as it sucks that I don't have a PP, I don't regret buying the car I ended up with (non-PP Autobahn 5-Door DSG). The PP Autobahn was way too close to R money for me to pay attention. For 2018 forward, there is no such thing as a PP up here anymore.

I did miss the LSD at the track this summer. This is my first FWD car that doesn't have one. Mind you, this was generally in corners that I carried too much speed into which was totally my fault. In previous cars the diff did its thing and dragged my dumb ass out, but you end up scrubbing off a whole lot of speed without it in those scenarios. Boost hits pretty suddenly in tight in-field sections and you end up plowing past the apex before you know it. This is where I really miss NA and a good LSD.

Anyways, still love the car and it's been great on street and circuit so far, regardless of the lack of diff. The brakes do an admirable job and are well balanced. Nothing to write home about, but they haven't been a hindrance yet on a stock car with Conti Sport's and lightweight wheels. If I put any more tire or power on there, they'll have to be addressed. I could easily upgrade the fronts to PP spec, but hear the setup is very heavy.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
I'm sure they are very nice but the performance package is "much" more important for driving than fancy headlights. IMO in a hypothetical night race between professional drivers a PP car without LP will still have faster lap-times than a car with LP without the PP.

With or without LP you are not going to see as well at night as during the day. The probability of something bad happening while driving aggressively increases exponentially at night...

GTIMK7T

Ready to race!
I have it and I NEED it.
Depends on how you drive your car.
But the LSD is worth it, along with the brakes!

Depends on what your doing with your car though!

plainsight

Passed Driver's Ed
I regret not getting the Performance Package just because it was a great deal, I think only $1500 for the option?

Unfortunately in 2016 I would have to upgrade to an SE to get the performance package, it was very hard to find on the S trim. It would have cost me more than $1500 to go up to the SE :/

I only regret it because of how cheap it was - there are better options for LSD and Brakes than what VW throws on there - if you are truly wanting a performance package for the track

Now that the Sports are out - I think this is a perfect trim. EXCEPT. The fog lights. The fog lights are siiiiiiick on the mk7, its a shame they didn't add them on the Sport cuz it really makes my car standout vs a Sport trim at night.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
- there are better options for LSD and Brakes than what VW throws on there - if you are truly wanting a performance package for the track

For sure, for a crap load more money and the aftermarket LSD won't integrate as well with the entire system.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Performance package is indeed a good value. However, the driver makes a bigger difference. Went out for a mountain drive with some local guys this weekend. The other mk7 gti in the group did not have the PP, but its driver was consistently faster with comparable tune and tires, and same stock suspension.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

APR1

Ready to race!
no PP, no regrets.

As others have mentioned, there are better options for an LSD and brakes, so once the warranty is up, it'll be time to mod. No point in paying for a PP just to use it for 1.5-2 years and then scrap it...

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
In all cars the driver makes the difference. The PP is 6 seconds faster around the Nurburgring track. Assuming both drivers are of similar capabilities. So the PP car is more capable (in the right hands). I don't think anyone is saying the driver doesn't matter. That same driver in a PP car would be even faster, so it's all relative.