GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommend me an inexpensive intake for turbo noise

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I just want to hear my turbo more. More intake noise and diverter valve release sounds. Had a turbo Beetle cabriolet rental recently and could hear it so much more than my GTI. Is an open intake the best way to achieve this? I'm stock power and don't want to spend a ton of money, don't care about looks under the hood, or power stats as long as I don't lose a ton in the summer.

Was thinking Injen just based on price and popularity... but are there any other options around $200 I should consider? Is there any good reason to get a more expensive option like CTS or Neuspeed if I just care about the sound?

Thanks!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I don't think the intake is going to increase the turbo noise a lot.
You can remove the insulation inside the hood, also you can upgrade the turbo inlet (but again minimal gains in sound) and install a turbo muffler delete.
BUT I did all that plus adding a down pipe and a tune and meh... you could say it was louder than before but nothing spectacular...

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
The USP intake is usually around 189 and it is a little louder. Other than that, like Jake ^ mentioned, weather stripping under your hood is free lol! The turbo inlet provided a little more sound as well. I wouldn't bother with the turbo muffler delete just for sound though.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Seems like the IE intake is loud and sounds nice. It is 300+ tho
yup if your goal is full IE open style will take the cake, the velocity stack design lead to added and unique sounds, so much so that i removed it from my car as it was just too much for me.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
If you’re budgeting $200 just wait for a quality used one to come up for sale. You’ll be able to resell it for the same when the time comes and you’ll avoid throwing janky parts on your car.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
You can get the BMS intake for $229 without the TIP. I'm running it and it's much louder than stock, especially when I removed the hood liner.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Remove the airbox.

I assume this is a joke?? 😁
FREE.

Remove the weather stripping at the rear under your hood.

CHEAP

Any open intake, buy a used one if you want bonus savings.

Thanks Jake. I just tried removing the weather stripping and it does make it a bit louder. I assume it's not an issue with rain and snow to take if off if people are suggesting that? Because I definitely get both where I live, but car is always parked in the garage.

I have kept my eyes on the classifieds for used, which I'd be totally cool with, just haven't found the right price/product yet.

The USP intake is usually around 189 and it is a little louder. Other than that, like Jake ^ mentioned, weather stripping under your hood is free lol! The turbo inlet provided a little more sound as well. I wouldn't bother with the turbo muffler delete just for sound though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked it out, looks nice, but probably going for an open design so the sound more than just a little louder. Did weather stripping as above -- that helped. Already have a TMD that I got cheap on a Eurocode sale, and ya it doesn't do anything. 🙄

You can get the BMS intake for $229 without the TIP. I'm running it and it's much louder than stock, especially when I removed the hood liner.

Forgot about Burger, and I hadn't seen this one! Thanks, I think this looks like what I was thinking. Open cone style, company with better name behind it than Injen, and not ridiculously priced. Definitely going to consider this.

Seems like the IE intake is loud and sounds nice. It is 300+ tho

yup if your goal is full IE open style will take the cake, the velocity stack design lead to added and unique sounds, so much so that i removed it from my car as it was just too much for me.

If money were no object the IE is what I'd go for. They always seem to be out of stock though and a bit more than I want to spend just for some turbo sound.

If you’re budgeting $200 just wait for a quality used one to come up for sale. You’ll be able to resell it for the same when the time comes and you’ll avoid throwing janky parts on your car.

I like this idea, too, just haven't found a good one at the $200 price point yet but I'll keep my eyes open.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have never tried removing it, but can’t see any issues with doing so.

For what it’s worth I have the discontinued Injen open intake. Paid $190 new for it and it’s made in America with great quality and Fitment

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
FREE.

Remove the weather stripping at the rear under your hood.

CHEAP

Any open intake, buy a used one if you want bonus savings.

This.

my MAPerformance metal intake is loud as heck also. but any used open intake will do the trick and the ones with the big velocity stacks (like IE) are even louder (check out IE's website for youtube video showing how loud their intake is)

if you want to buy the silicon style tube that connects the turbo to the airbox, which you can find on ebay for cheap, i actually still the brand new in box MAPerformance air filter and velocity stack will sell you for $50 and then you probably have an open intake that will be loud for <$100, and if you need an SAI filter that's another maybe $20 from ECS website or whatever. if you want to do that just PM me and it's yours. I used the MAperformance tube but ended up with a BPI velocity stack and different air filter so i never used the ones that came with the intake

if on a major budget I'd just keep an eye out on the forums and try to buy the next open "filter on a stick" style intake that comes up for sale used