GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommend me an inexpensive intake for turbo noise

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nah, a drop in won’t add any sound like he’s looking for.

A good quality filter is important no matter what brand or style intake you prefer. After 75k miles and tons of washes I decided to replace the Injen filter with AEM.

Both are American made and dry flow. Great stuff

I get it now. I thought you meant an AEM dry flow with the stock intake.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I've had the AFE Intake (51-12672) on my wish list for a while. The metal pipe plus running it open would make some nice turbo noises, and you could put a lid on it in the summer to keep temps down, open the lid up when it cools off for the sweet wooshes and possibly a little better MPG when its freezing out, due to the open nature heating up the engine bay quicker.

Just never seemed worth the 350 bucks to me though.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
you could literally replace the intake box with a cheap cone filter if you wanted

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
you could literally replace the intake box with a cheap cone filter if you wanted

Ha that's not a bad idea for a cheap solution.

Old thread, but I ended up finding a used BMS intake recently for $60. Definitely not as loud as I was expecting, especially with the windows up, based on some videos of other intakes like the CTS and IE. But I removed the weather stripping and that helps a bit.

I used the stock turbo inlet elbow, and fitment for the intake wasn't great. Glad I didn't spend more on this. On the plus side it's not so loud it's obnoxious, not even close. Should be fun in the summer with the windows open. So far car still seems to drive great, not down on power or anything. It's fairly well sealed off and temps are still cold where I am.

Again thanks for everyone's input.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
yup if your goal is full IE open style will take the cake, the velocity stack design lead to added and unique sounds, so much so that i removed it from my car as it was just too much for me.
I'm getting there with mine. I would have loved it in my late teens/early 20s though.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
1618415976979.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FREE.

Remove the weather stripping at the rear under your hood.

CHEAP

Any open intake, buy a used one if you want bonus savings.
Unrelated to OP's post, but if wonder if removing that weather stripping would increase airflow through the cooling stack?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Unrelated to OP's post, but if wonder if removing that weather stripping would increase airflow through the cooling stack?

Tape some yarn to the lower windshield, if it stands up (low pressure) the answer is yes.

That’s a good idea, someone needs to do it for science!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What weatherstripping are you talking about? If it's the one that goes from side to side below the windshield wipers I can tell you that your engine will get covered with accumulated dust and dirt.