GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilt motors: Curious of your oil consumption, or filling the catchcan?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
How many ounces is a half full catch can and is that 1000 miles of regular driving?
Idk to be honest I didn't measure it precisely but if I had to guess I'd say 8 or 10 oz. That was when the engine was still being broken in and some spirited driving mixed.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I would have given this a chance had I come around to it, back when I was running the OEM PCV.
The OEM PCV does everything quite well, except vent high boost pressure. This is why people see oil perspiration around the oil cap, lower intake camshaft magnet bolts, rear valve cover and spark plug cam cradle seals.
This is why you DON'T want to use an o-ring to seal the oil cap and it is likely the reason why oil is pushed into the vacuum port during track.

Now using the Spulen CC there is no vacuum so I imagine that ping-pong is going to be bouncing up and down constantly, though another vent point would nice.
Anybody running this setup let it be known.

On the Spulen CC and why it collects more than others. It is the only CC outside of OEM that retains the crankcase ventilation and oil return port. Problem is, it does a not so good job of pushing most of that back to the oil return and instead takes the path of less resistance, the camshaft and eventually the drain port on the PCV plate. I know of at least 1 person running a prototype, well see if that ever makes it to client's hands. The VWR and others like it block the crankcase vent port, how it vents crankcase pressure is beyond me. I don't think it does and it is a very bad proposition if so. The main reason they rid of smoke on track is simply because the N80 port is run independetly unlike the integrated OEM setup. What other CCs drain is the oil evaporation from the camshaft, not all that useful really.
You seem to know a lot about the pcv system in these cars. If the vwr can doesn't vent crankcase pressure, than wouldnt I see more than 1 psi in my crankcase pressure test I did from the dip stick tube? Or would it be going elsewhere?

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
You seem to know a lot about the pcv system in these cars. If the vwr can doesn't vent crankcase pressure, than wouldnt I see more than 1 psi in my crankcase pressure test I did from the dip stick tube? Or would it be going elsewhere?

I don't pretend to, but it is a good question.
I had similar issues to OP many moons ago and went on a reading crusade of sorts if you will.

I don't know for a fact that it doesn't vent crankcase pressure, but the vent and oil return ports are blocked so I can't help but wonder. If the solution is to just plug them, why would VW put them there and why would Spulen split from the pack to retain them.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I don't pretend to, but it is a good question.
I had similar issues to OP many moons ago and went on a reading crusade of sorts if you will.

I don't know for a fact that it doesn't vent crankcase pressure, but the vent and oil return ports are blocked so I can't help but wonder. If the solution is to just plug them, why would VW put them there and why would Spulen split from the pack to retain them.
It is still routed back through the Turbo Inlet - so, there is the release of pressure you are concerned of. Otherwise, yeah....you would have some serious pressure underneath.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
My assumption is he was talking about the Yellow and Red shaded areas. With the stock PCV, there is a direct passage from the crankcase area up to the PCV, multiple air/oil separators, and the yellow passage being an oil return as well.

The aftermarket systems block those off.... crankcase pressure works its way up to the cylinder head via oil return passages etc and gets vented that way. Really this is how most engines are, that I have worked with at least. Some will have a "pcv plate" on the side of the block with more or less same function. I don't think venting from the valve cover area only is bad necessarily, but depending on engine design it could be much more messy, a lot more oily, as seems to the case with this engine. Vs the crankcase vent route with multiple built in AOSs.

I'm looking at the spulen plate and it looks like it blocks off those 2 ports to me? It's also the "v2"......maybe this was changed over time?

1599604265381.png

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I was referring to the yellow and red passages, but I wasn't aware of other oil return passages within the head.

The V2 doesn't block the ports.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Pre turbo, pre DV, non TIP?
I understood you to say "crankcase ventilation" in regards to the VWR right? If so, then yes, the return line from the catch can goes back through the Turbo Inlet. Am I wrong in that regard, did something change?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Thanks. I was referring to the yellow and red passages, but I wasn't aware of other oil return passages within the head.

The V2 doesn't block the ports.

Yep....no idea on specifics, but oil obviously makes its way up there to lube everything and gravity brings it back down into the pan.

I am surprised no kit utilizes the red shaded crankcase vent/path. I would guess they tested it and it wasn't very good for whatever reason, or just lazy and decided to make a more simple plate design.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I understood you to say "crankcase ventilation" in regards to the VWR right? If so, then yes, the return line from the catch can goes back through the Turbo Inlet. Am I wrong in that regard, did something change?

The line goes back to the turbo much like the OEM PCV and other aftermarket ones, it's just that the crankcase vent port is blocked on the VWR so I didn't know how it vented crankcase pressure from the block itself.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I thought about also deleting that line from can to inlet and blocking off the inlet, then putting a breather on the can. Another way to vent the head and prevent oil from going in my turbo

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
That's definitely an option. But it will smell in the cabin all the time and you do risk some oily mist spraying around. I don't mind catless smells (even on a cammed V8), but I've never been able to stand the constant smell inside the cabin with a breather can etc.

Is a lot of oil getting past the can into the turbo inlet?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
That's definitely an option. But it will smell in the cabin all the time and you do risk some oily mist spraying around. I don't mind catless smells (even on a cammed V8), but I've never been able to stand the constant smell inside the cabin with a breather can etc.

Is a lot of oil getting past the can into the turbo inlet?

This. It's one thing being catless. Doesn't bother me a bit. But man, smelling the shit oil concoction in the cabin from an OCC that's vented absolutely drives me bonkers. Granted, it's cleaner for the motor, it still stinks like mad.